Quantcast

Removing stains from wine glasses

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
My wine glasses are getting to be pretty seasoned - and look like crap. Is there a method for removing red wine stains and water spots? Some solution of sumthin sumthin? Sulfuric acid? :dead:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
hot water isn't enough? If not, then i'm guessing they're cheap enough to replace.

As for water spots, if you want to impress guests and not have spots, set a pot of water to boil, use the steam to clean off the spots with a clean, dry towel.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Do you wash your glasses in the dishwasher?

If so, with time the detergent can scar the surface of the glasses making them more susceptible to staining.

You may want to try something like oxyclean or CLR and start handwashing them.

If you already handwash them... lord knows what you've managed to do to them.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I remember reading somewhere that you can clean red wine stains tea stains etc. from porcelin (sp?) etc. using those fizzing denture cleaning tablets. If it works on false teeth maybe it'll work on wine glasses....

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
hot water isn't enough? If not, then i'm guessing they're cheap enough to replace.
They are Riedels. I have always handwashed them - way to fragile for the dishwasher. I'll try the vinegar suggestion - thanks for that Treesaw.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yes, as stated by Treesaw, when I worked in hotel we used to add a little white wine vinegar to boiling water (really not that much needed), steam the glasses over the water and polish with a clean starched cloth. You can get pretty much anything off. Use 50/50 water/vinegar neat on the glass for really tough stains.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
They are Riedels. I have always handwashed them - way to fragile for the dishwasher. I'll try the vinegar suggestion - thanks for that Treesaw.
Not a problem! Good luck! I have some lovely (I can't remember if we got the Riedel or if they came from Pier One) stemless wine glasses that I got for my birthday (4 red and 4 white) and they're awesome!