Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
link - http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2018

Date: 2004-05-09 04:20:57
Source: Luc 'Acadian' Albert
From www.nathanrennie.net

Esperence, Western Australia - Rennie pulled a 70 foot jump yesterday! You will see it soon on the Freeride Entertainment Video.

"I was pulled in by a MX bike doing 95 km/hr (60 mph), took off from a freestyle ramp, and landed it on a dirt down ramp. I was riding my Santa Cruz VP Free mountain bike which is unscathed. What made it hard was the off-camber grass hill approach. The combination of off-camber and tow-rope kept me going off course. This beats my previous best, a 50 footer at San Louis Obispo in California as seen in the Chainsmoke II video."

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
ummm if you need an MX bike to pull you up to speed to clear that gap.. why not just do it on an MX bike :confused:

Takes more balls than I'll ever have all, still just dont get it.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Originally posted by slcpunk21
ummm if you need an MX bike to pull you up to speed to clear that gap.. why not just do it on an MX bike :confused:

Takes more balls than I'll ever have all, still just dont get it.
That is what I was thinking... when is it no longer truely mountain biking?

I can ride my bike out of the back of a airplane and parachute to the ground... does that mean I just did a 10,000' drop?

and no... I could NEVER, and wouldn't even try, to do anything close to that!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
seeing how mtn. bikes are almost mx bikes these days I agree somewhat.

do it on a no suspension bike and I might be impressed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ballsy, no doubt, but I've never found much interest in enormous ramp jumps, especially when they require being pulled up to speed by an MX bike.

Pretty dull thing to watch.

:stosh:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The record tow-in jump on a bmx bike is something like 110 feet, somehow 70 just isn't all that.....

It's big no doubt, but last year for UFC some kid from Australia was trying jumps around that size from a tow-in. I'll be impressed when they start pedalling across a into it. It's cool, but kind of meh, unless he pulled some crazy arse trick off of it. I'd rather watch him rip up some crazy dh track with his usual style than try big tow-in jumps.

The Ito

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by ito
The record tow-in jump on a bmx bike is something like 110 feet, somehow 70 just isn't all that.....

It's big no doubt...blah blah blah (edited....)
The Ito
exactly.

watching mat hoffman get pulled behind a mx to ride his monster ramp is another thing altogether. that thing is just HUGE.