Quantcast

Republicans Plan Push For Elimination Of Irs

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
REPUBLICANS PLAN PUSH FOR ELIMINATION OF IRS
DrudgeReport.com

A domestic centerpiece of the Bush/GOP agenda for a second Bush term is getting rid of the Internal Revenue Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The Speaker of the House will push for replacing the nation's current tax system with a national sales tax or a value added tax, Hill sources tell DRUDGE.

"People ask me if I’m really calling for the elimination of the IRS, and I say I think that’s a great thing to do for future generations of Americans," Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert explains in his new book, to be released on Wednesday.

"Pushing reform legislation will be difficult. Change of any sort seldom comes easy. But these changes are critical to our economic vitality and our economic security abroad," Hastert declares in SPEAKER: LESSONS FROM FORTY YEARS IN COACHING AND POLITICS.

"“If you own property, stock, or, say, one hundred acres of farmland and tax time is approaching, you don’t want to make a mistake, so you’re almost obliged to go to a certified public accountant, tax preparer, or tax attorney to help you file a correct return. That costs a lot of money. Now multiply the amount you have to pay by the total number of people who are in the same boat. You can’t. No one can because precise numbers don’t exist. But we can stipulate that we’re talking about a huge amount. Now consider that a flat tax, national sales tax, or VAT would not only eliminate the need to do this, it could also eliminate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself and make the process of paying taxes much easier."

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity. If you can do that, you can change gross national product and start growing the economy. You could double the economy over the next fifteen years. All of a sudden, the problem of what future generations owe in Social Security and Medicare won’t be so daunting anymore. The answer is to grow the economy, and the key to doing that is making sure we have a tax system that attracts capital and builds incentives to keep it here instead of forcing it out to other nations."

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
N8 said:
REPUBLICANS PLAN PUSH FOR ELIMINATION OF IRS
DrudgeReport.com

A domestic centerpiece of the Bush/GOP agenda for a second Bush term is getting rid of the Internal Revenue Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The Speaker of the House will push for replacing the nation's current tax system with a national sales tax or a value added tax, Hill sources tell DRUDGE.

"People ask me if I’m really calling for the elimination of the IRS, and I say I think that’s a great thing to do for future generations of Americans," Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert explains in his new book, to be released on Wednesday.

"Pushing reform legislation will be difficult. Change of any sort seldom comes easy. But these changes are critical to our economic vitality and our economic security abroad," Hastert declares in SPEAKER: LESSONS FROM FORTY YEARS IN COACHING AND POLITICS.

"“If you own property, stock, or, say, one hundred acres of farmland and tax time is approaching, you don’t want to make a mistake, so you’re almost obliged to go to a certified public accountant, tax preparer, or tax attorney to help you file a correct return. That costs a lot of money. Now multiply the amount you have to pay by the total number of people who are in the same boat. You can’t. No one can because precise numbers don’t exist. But we can stipulate that we’re talking about a huge amount. Now consider that a flat tax, national sales tax, or VAT would not only eliminate the need to do this, it could also eliminate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself and make the process of paying taxes much easier."

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity. If you can do that, you can change gross national product and start growing the economy. You could double the economy over the next fifteen years. All of a sudden, the problem of what future generations owe in Social Security and Medicare won’t be so daunting anymore. The answer is to grow the economy, and the key to doing that is making sure we have a tax system that attracts capital and builds incentives to keep it here instead of forcing it out to other nations."

lol!!!!, wtf??????? a 300% increase in sales tax would sure fire up consuming goods purchases.

that would be a really roundhose-flying-kick to the nuts of the economy.

dont think easy answers so hard yet, maybe in a few generations, your offspring might evolve enough to be homo sapiens.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
w00dy said:
Canada operates without income tax don't they? It's all done with property and sales tax up there I thought. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Texas has no personal income tax but thay have some ungodly property tax.. :dead:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
why do they waste their time pursuing objectives that will not and cannot be achieved? There's no way the tax industry will let this pass.

IF IT PASSED... As for the economy, well, it's possible it could help things more than hurt. It might help the supply side of our economy more than hurt the demand side.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Bush Says National Sales Tax Worth Considering
Reuters| 11 Aug

NICEVILLE, Fla. (Reuters) - President Bush said on Tuesday that abolishing the U.S. income tax system and replacing it with a national sales tax was an idea worth considering.

"It's an interesting idea," Bush told an "Ask President Bush" campaign forum here. "You know, I'm not exactly sure how big the national sales tax is going to have to be, but it's the kind of interesting idea that we ought to explore seriously."

Republican economists who speak regularly to the White House have said that the Bush campaign has been mulling the idea of an overhaul of the tax code as part of an agenda for a second term should Bush win reelection.

Some lawmakers have floated ideas of simplifying the tax code by putting in place a "flat" income tax rate or a national sales tax. But those ideas have so far not gained much traction in Congress. Opponents say such a system would not be in the best interests of the poor and the middle class who would pay the same tax rate as the wealthy even though they have less disposable income.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How about a tax on money moving?

Anytime you make a transaction bigger than $100 or so? I wonder how much it would take to make that revenue neutral?

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
dante said:
Ahhhh, interesting a) give people more money in their paychecks and b) jack up the prices by 25%. Can you say tanked economy and thriving black market? Idiots... :nuts:
stop calling the UK and Canada idiots, they might get offended.

my only issue with this plan is that I, being an eternal realist, can look into my glass ball (gov took too much tax and I had to sell the crystal one) and see what will happen next: "we realize we have instituted a national sales tax to replace the income tax setup, but now we could use a little extra so we're going to A)put back or B)hike up your income tax as well"

Some see the glass as half full.
Some see the glass as half empty.
I see the glass and want to know who the hell drank half MY water.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if they went w/ a flat tax (but still graduated for income levels) w/ no deductions, that would definitely simplify things. but the H&R Blocks and CPAs of the world would fight this tooth and nail, because otherwise they would, as charles manson said, cease to exist.

the overhead savings on the IRS would be good, but i'm not sure how else this would grow the economy?

this quote in particular:

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity"

seems pretty damn vague.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
"It's an interesting idea," Bush told an "Ask President Bush" campaign forum here. "Umm because you know, it would be national. Which is better than, you know what we have now. It would be a national tax on sales, instead of a state tax on, umm sales."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
narlus said:
if they went w/ a flat tax (but still graduated for income levels) w/ no deductions, that would definitely simplify things.
not really. It'd just encourage more people to become tiny self-incorporated business. The problem is with figuring out personal income. Flat tax wouldn't help there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i suppose they could try stamp out that loophole too...but i guess it would definitely convince a lot of people that they have a freelance gig on the side.