Quantcast

Return of the soup!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Had really tasty tortilla soup last night.

Puree about 1lb tomatoes, 1/4c cilantro, 1 med onion, couple cloves garlic.

Brown about 1lb chicken, then throw in the puree. Toss in 3-4 chipotles with some of the accompanying adobo sauce. Throw in about 5 cans of chicken/veg broth.

I added a couple cans of black beans which the recipe didn't call for. I pureed one can and left the other can whole.

Bring to a boil & then simmer for awhile (20 minutes->2 hours if you have the time).

Toss some slightly broken tortilla chips in a bowl with some fresh avacado & sour cream on top. Pour soup over this.

Enjoy! :drool:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I made tortilla soup a couple weeks ago. Ours is vegetarian though.

Sautee an onion and a few cloves of garlic until the onions are translucent, then add a few tablespoons of tomato paste. Spread the paste around the bottom of the pan and cook on medium until the paste turns a deep red brown (don't burn it). Add a couple cups of vegetable broth, scrape all the tasty stuff off the bottom of the pot and then let it simmer for a ten minutes or so. Add a couple sliced zucchinis, a jalopeno, some frozen corn, and simmer for another five minutes. Then add a can of rinsed black beans, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, and some lime juice. Heat until it gets to a low simmer, and then immediately take it off the burner, if you leave it on it you lose the fresh tomato taste.

Then serve over cheddar cheese and dried strips of corn tortillas.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This from the hippie?

The tomato paste gives it some richness but I'm sure the adobo is even better.
The chipotle definitely adds some richness, but to be honest I'm going to try the chipotle + the paste next time. And the pureed beans also do a good job of giving it a little extra smooth/thicker texture. :drool:

Oh - and I relish my position at/near the top of the food chain. It is my destiny to eat bloody red steak, so to speak. :D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Hell yea!
I made two soups in the last week.

one was roasted poblano peppers, roasted garlic, corn, onion and other peppers (jalapeno/anehiem). I used veggie stock and blended half the soup. added some fresh parm. cheese to each bowl...

then I made a soup that was almost the same thing but with roasted beet (very small amount) and roasted carrots and more red peppers. blended the beet and carrots and some of the other ingrediants as well. SOOOO tastey.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Easy Thai Sweet Potato Soup:

2 sweet potato, peeled & chopped (we call them Kumara in NZ, Potate Douce in France)
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 tablespoon thai massaman curry paste (or red curry paste if you want)
1 lemongrass stalk, crushed, but whole (you'll remove it after cooking)
1 can coconut cream
1 cup chicken stock

Bring to the boil, then simmer until sweet potato is soft. Remove lemongrass and puree everything until smooth and pass through a sieve. Reheat and serve.

So easy and so nice for a winter's evening for two.

Bon apetite

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Easy Thai Sweet Potato Soup:

2 sweet potato, peeled & chopped (we call them Kumara in NZ, Potate Douce in France)
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 tablespoon thai massaman curry paste (or red curry paste if you want)
1 lemongrass stalk, crushed, but whole (you'll remove it after cooking)
1 can coconut cream
1 cup chicken stock

Bring to the boil, then simmer until sweet potato is soft. Remove lemongrass and puree everything until smooth and pass through a sieve. Reheat and serve.

So easy and so nice for a winter's evening for two.

Bon apetite
OOOhhh....that sounds good. I have the worst time finding good curry paste though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My wife is becoming the soup ninja.

She can root around in the fridge and go in our garden for a few minutes and a 1/2 hour later there is some kick ass soup on the stove.

Recipes? Nope.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Made some super easy butternut squash soup last night. Eating it as I type.
1 chopped onion, sautéed in the bottom of the pot.
1 butternut squash large diced
6c. chicken stock
Cook, blend, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add a spot of cream if you like.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Delicious chicken pozole- still have a quart in the freezer from last week, thought about breaking it out tonight, but made carne seca enchiladas instead. But the soup thread needs this recipe.
Anyway:
Make a pot of pintos. Strain out 2c beans, freeze the rest along with the delicious pot liquor. (Or make refried, whatever floats your boat.)
Throw 2c pintos in a large pot with 1 can hominy, or 1.5c rinsed Nixtamal if available.
Add 1 quart chicken stock and 1tbsp butter (or use the schmaltz from your homemade stock if you have it.)
1/4 Chicken, de-boned and cut into fairly large parts.
Roughly chop 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic and 3-5 green chiles and add to the mix.
Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, reduce to a simmer and cook until that chicken is nice and tender. (At least 1 hour if using Nixtamal)
Serve with minced onion, grated cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese and chiffonade of cilantro.
Simple. And like any great soup, so much more than the sum of the parts.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Delicious chicken pozole- still have a quart in the freezer from last week, thought about breaking it out tonight, but made carne seca enchiladas instead. But the soup thread needs this recipe.
Anyway:
Make a pot of pintos. Strain out 2c beans, freeze the rest along with the delicious pot liquor. (Or make refried, whatever floats your boat.)
Throw 2c pintos in a large pot with 1 can hominy, or 1.5c rinsed Nixtamal if available.
Add 1 quart chicken stock and 1tbsp butter (or use the schmaltz from your homemade stock if you have it.)
1/4 Chicken, de-boned and cut into fairly large parts.
Roughly chop 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic and 3-5 green chiles and add to the mix.
Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, reduce to a simmer and cook until that chicken is nice and tender. (At least 1 hour if using Nixtamal)
Serve with minced onion, grated cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese and chiffonade of cilantro.
Simple. And like any great soup, so much more than the sum of the parts.
Pozole with "schmaltz" written into the recipe, and no hominy or red chile? Where are you from?

Or maybe I'm thinking posoli ala New Mexico, with hominy and red chile...????

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
I shall take offense to that slight upon my roots, GearGrrl. My family has been in Southern AZ since it was Northern Mexico. Sometimes, one has no need for the heady flavor of red chiles in a simple warming chicken pozole. And BTW, Nixtamal = Hominy. Nixtamal has just been soaked in lime, whereas hominy has also been rinsed and cooked.
Lastly, New Mexicans don't know anything beyond Chile Verde as far as I'm concerned *grumble* blue corn *grumble* rosemary in the salsa.
Although maybe it's just my hatred for the Nouvelle Southwestern Fusion B.S. strain of cooking coming out of New Mexico...now that I think about it, I bet the grandmothers there know as much about home cooking as anywhere else.
And oh yeah- I just think "schmaltz" sounds cool, and on a board where you have people roasting chickens in a way which purposefully drains the Fat off, one can never be to careful about the "F-word"

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I stand corrected. and educated. The schmaltz reference(nice Yiddish term for chicken fat for those that don't know) threw me way off. I learned my Posoli from some native Albequerqians about 25 years ago so maybe that's it.

forgiven?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here's a soup I am actually making right now for tonight. It is one of the most asked-for recipies by my guests:

'White fish chowder with smoked salmon & basil cream'

Place 100g butter and 100g flour into saucepan and cook out to a blonde roux. Add 1 liter to a liter and a half of milk and stir/whisk continuously until thickened. The consistency should be thick but soup-like at this stage - add more milk if necessary.

Add a splash of thai fish sauce and salt and white pepper to taste.

Add about 500g chopped white fish and about 200g chopped smoked salmon.

Continue cooking gently until all fish is cooked.

Just before serving, stir in as much fresh basil pesto as you want. The more the better. And make sure it is fresh and home-made.

As you can tell, I have no set quantities or a recipe for this soup. Freestyle it! This soup is so easy and really is so delicious.

Try it for me.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I made Mulligatawny last night. Here's the quick and dirty...

Saute 8 oz of cubed chicken, set aside.

Saute 1 onion, 1 apple, finely chopped, with 1 Tbsp curry paste until onions are soft (5 mins). It calls for yellow curry paste, which I didn't have. I substituted 1/2 Tbsp green curry paste, and equal proportions of yellow curry, cumin, and Garam Masala power to get 1 full Tbsp of spice.
Add 2 Tbsps flour (sautee another 2 minutes)
Add 1.5 cups chicken broth and chicken cubes. Bring to a boil until sauce thickens.
Add another 1.5 cups chicken broth. Simmer for about 40 minutes. Add a few Tbsps of cream and lemon juice.

Serve over Basimati or Jasmine rice. Garish with a big glob of chutney. Mmmmm.