Quantcast

Reynolds 853 VS Columbus Zona

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Just to be clear, 853 refers to an alloy and Zona refers to a tubeset. Zona is actually made from the Nivacrom alloy which is more comparable to Reynolds 725. Columbus generally offers a much broader range of tubesets in each of its alloys as well.

853 is a higher tech alloy, with higher specific strength and air/weld hardening properties. The most similar columbus alloy is Thermacrom (Foco tubesets). Nivacrom is slightly lower strength and doesn't harden at the weld quite the same. Additionally, Zona is the entry level version of Nivacrom, so it will not be as aggressively butted as most 853 frames. Most 853 tubesets fall somewhere between Foco and UltraFoco in terms of wall thicknesses and butting.

If you are looking for a stiffer, more dent resistant frame then the Zona will be a better choice. If you're looking for something lighter and possibly more supple (depending on the specific tube choice) then 853 will be a better, but more expensive, option. 853 can also get somewhat brittle, despite it's strength... but most people that work with it know enough to build a good frame out of it.

Zona is still a high-end steel, and builds an excellent bike, it's just not the aboslute highest technology.

edit: This page is pretty useful: Strong Racing

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
near El circulo Polar Arctico
Thanks a lot for the info! I'm just wondering since I could get them for the same price...!! So I'm kind of leaning towards the Reynolds frameset.
I could also get a frame made of Easton UltraLite tubing for the same price (cheap!)
It would be best to try out each of these frames in real life, but sadly that's not possible for me right now...
Oh, my riding style is kind of aggressive xc. So what do you think? Should I go for steel or aluminium?
I know thïs is probably one of those ever-lasting debates (steel vs alum.), but it'd be nice to hear your opinions on this one.

So, another (boring) question, Easton Ultralite versus Reynolds 853? (advantages/disadvantages on both)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Funky Monk
Thanks a lot for the info! I'm just wondering since I could get them for the same price...!! So I'm kind of leaning towards the Reynolds frameset.
I could also get a frame made of Easton UltraLite tubing for the same price (cheap!)
It would be best to try out each of these frames in real life, but sadly that's not possible for me right now...
Oh, my riding style is kind of aggressive xc. So what do you think? Should I go for steel or aluminium?
I know thïs is probably one of those ever-lasting debates (steel vs alum.), but it'd be nice to hear your opinions on this one.

So, another (boring) question, Easton Ultralite versus Reynolds 853? (advantages/disadvantages on both)
the 853 is goin to last you a ton longer then the aluminum frame probably will. if you are just using this as a race frame ofr a season or two, who ever you are ahving build the frame you should have them look into how much they can get an ultra foco tube set for? that stuff is SICKLY light. probably won't last you long but easily just as light as much high end aluminum frames.