Quantcast

Ridemonkey August 2011 New Camera Predictions Thread

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So Nikon just unveiled a few new Coolpix models, one of which is rugged-ized, water proof and will do 1080p/30fps. (looks like they are gunning for GoPro sales...)

Rumors have been flying around for a new full frame DSLR, (D4 or D800?) or a replacement to the D300s. (D400?)

Canon may be on deck with a replacement for the 5D Mark II. Maybe a Mark III?

More announcements are due tomorrow.

I think Nikon will swing for the HD video fence in a full frame body, something like 1080p/60fps and better manual control. They wrenched the high ISO trophy from Canon's grip with the D3 onward, I am sure they want the HDSLR trophy as well.

Thoughts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
All I know is my D300 still rocks, and I do better spending money to travel places than I do buying new camera bodies.

Aside from a great video in a D400 and the latest-and-greatest low noise sensor... Maybe slightly better AF? The D300 has a more flexible AF system than the D7000 but it loses out on speed just a little.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
All I know is my D300 still rocks, and I do better spending money to travel places than I do buying new camera bodies.
Word. Only reason I upgraded was for the high ISO of the D7000. I was very happy with the D70s. The D300 will still be a fantastic camera years from now.

Aside from a great video in a D400 and the latest-and-greatest low noise sensor... Maybe slightly better AF? The D300 has a more flexible AF system than the D7000 but it loses out on speed just a little.
Hmm. My impression was AF was where the D300/D300s thumped the D7000. (that and the frame rate/buffer)

I will say the AF system is AMAZING compared to what I was used to.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082408nikonaw100.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AW100/AW100A.HTM#

Engineered with Adventure in Mind
The COOLPIX AW100 is born to be extreme and includes features created for the adventurer. The new GPS function and internal map display allow photos to be displayed via location information and saves latitude and longitude information in the image data. Consumers can now shoot and track their route with the included Nikon ViewNX2 software, Nikon’s picture sharing site mypicturetown.com or Google Earth™ to pinpoint the exact orientation at the top of a ski slope or display thumbnails together with a map of the terrain. The camera will also track location while not in use so the user can show an accurate map of their travels up the mountain or kayaking down a river. The AW100 also includes an E-compass, allowing the user to orientate via the LCD screen.

The COOLPIX AW100 also features a new Action Control operation, which allows photographers to assign a function to a swinging motion to swiftly select specific settings such as scene mode by simply shaking the camera, avoiding the need to remove gloves in situations like skiing, diving or hiking. The camera has a large 3.0-inch, bright LCD screen with Clear Color Display and anti-reflective coating, providing the ability to see in difficult lighting conditions. Users are also able to mount the camera securely to various mounting systems via the built-in standard tripod mount.

I approve.

Last edited:

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

Agreed.

I'm completely happy with my 50D/XTi combo and have no desire to buy a new body. I am, however, in the market for a point and shoot size that will shoot RAW. Something a bit easier to carry on the bike.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm. My impression was AF was where the D300/D300s thumped the D7000. (that and the frame rate/buffer)
No, you have more coverage of the frame on the D300 and more flexibility in settings so it may be that there are optimal setups for certain types of photography that you can't get on the D7000 - I'm not sure.

But they did an overhaul and gave the sensors a bit more sensitivity and better color tracking. Frankly, the AF on the D300 is really, really good (IMHO), but then I would have had nothing to contribute :D

The build quality, though... oh, the build quality. Even though the D7000 is a mag frame, it just doesn't feel the same. The D300 still feels (and weighs, unfortunately) like you're holding something solid enough to stop bullets.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The build quality, though... oh, the build quality. Even though the D7000 is a mag frame, it just doesn't feel the same. The D300 still feels (and weighs, unfortunately) like you're holding something solid enough to stop bullets.
It's only 1/2 magnesium, the top and rear panels. The rest is polycarbonate. While not the same heft, it's light years beyond the cheaper bodies.

Yeah....this was a tough one for me. The D300/s fits my hand like it was custom made. I mainly went with the D7000 for overall image quality and ISO, plus the video is better.

With the battery grip (which is magnesium too) it feels VERY nice though.

Here is my only real complaints, and they are minor:

No automatic menu/info screen rotation in portrait. The fvcking D5100 does this, so I know it's possible.

"Pro" style strap attachment rings. (the triangle kind) I hate em. I much prefer the simple bar type attachment points. Easier to use and QUIETER. No rattle-y crap.

No exposure indicator in live view. Meh.

Here are some "hidden" things I've found in the custom settings that I really dig:

"Easy" ISO setting. In aperture priority mode, the command dial adjusts ISO directly (in shutter priority or programmed you use the sub-command dial) This makes shutter, aperture and ISO all equally tweakable on the fly without button/dial combos.

Using the AE-L/AF-L button for focus lock, then setting up "trap" focus with the shutter release. I've only done it a few times but it's a rad trick. I don't think the D70s was even capable of this.

The inclusion of not only a focus motor for older AF lenses, but an indexing tab for way older manual focus lenses. My 50mm 1.8 AI-S lens from 1986 meters perfectly on this camera in A mode. (and I can adjust the aperture in live view)

Back AND front IR receivers.

Being able to assign the FN and PV buttons to not only a list of common menu items, but also being able to assign either to the first item on the "My Menus" list, which can be ANY setting. Also, you can set the AE-L/AF-L button on the battery grip different than the one on the body, including having it the same as the Fn button. Nice.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Agreed.

I'm completely happy with my 50D/XTi combo and have no desire to buy a new body. I am, however, in the market for a point and shoot size that will shoot RAW. Something a bit easier to carry on the bike.
The new P7100 they just announced will shoot raw. (as will the P7000, which my wife has. Nice camera)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the panasonic lumix gf3.....what the fvck....the 1&2 were beautiful..

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Back AND front IR receivers.
Agreed, it was annoying only having one on the front.

Being able to assign the FN and PV buttons to not only a list of common menu items, but also being able to assign either to the first item on the "My Menus" list, which can be ANY setting. Also, you can set the AE-L/AF-L button on the battery grip different than the one on the body, including having it the same as the Fn button. Nice.
I didn't know that about being able to set the battery grip AE-L/AF-L different, I'll have to look into that when I get home. Cool feature though.

Personally I want to see Nikon release a whole bundle of new lenses, that's what I'm looking forward to.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Minor complaints that cropped up on my trip to Peru:

- Why are DSLRs not coming with built-in GPS? I have to spend $200+, use up my 10-pin receiver, and have something dangling off the camera/hotshoe or have a Bluetooth thingie in my pack, so I can GPS tag my photos? This seems absurd.

- The D300 has 1% increment battery levels if you dig into the menus. Why is this not displayed somewhere? It's not good enough to know I have ~20% battery left as indicated by one of five bars. I want to shoot my battery close to dead so as not to needlessly leave charge on batteries that are taking up weight, space and money in my pack, but I don't want to end up not being able to pull the trigger on a bird/scene that's in the frame. 5% intervals at a maximum. Displayed on the top LCD. Don't get my started on Jenn's D40x that only has three bars.

- I'd like the Fn button to be more flexible. I am constantly modifying my Auto-ISO settings, it'd be nice if I could at least use the button to turn Auto-ISO on or off. Sounds like that's fixed in the D7000.

- On the same subject, I want a 1/focal length rule in the Auto ISO settings. On the trip, I was regularly swapping between my 10-20mm for landscapes, and my 70-300 on the 300mm end for birds. Time is tight enough when you've spotted wildlife and need to swap a lens, editing the auto-ISO to suit is an extra step.

Trip was awesome - report forthcoming when I get pictures in order.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
- Why are DSLRs not coming with built-in GPS? I have to spend $200+, use up my 10-pin receiver, and have something dangling off the camera/hotshoe or have a Bluetooth thingie in my pack, so I can GPS tag my photos? This seems absurd.
I for one don't really care, so I would hate to pay extra for something in-camera that I would rarely/never use. I do agree the add-on implementation is dumb. (a GPS battery grip would make much more sense...)

Then again, there is always this: http://www.foolography.com/products/unleashed/

- The D300 has 1% increment battery levels if you dig into the menus. Why is this not displayed somewhere? It's not good enough to know I have ~20% battery left as indicated by one of five bars. I want to shoot my battery close to dead so as not to needlessly leave charge on batteries that are taking up weight, space and money in my pack, but I don't want to end up not being able to pull the trigger on a bird/scene that's in the frame. 5% intervals at a maximum. Displayed on the top LCD. Don't get my started on Jenn's D40x that only has three bars.
Yeah, a "B=XX%" in the top LCD would be great. Not a deal breaker for me though, I am happy to even have the menu option now.

- I'd like the Fn button to be more flexible. I am constantly modifying my Auto-ISO settings, it'd be nice if I could at least use the button to turn Auto-ISO on or off. Sounds like that's fixed in the D7000.
In the D7000, the Fn and Pv buttons can both/either be set to "Access Top Item In MY MENU"

Set the first item in the custom "My Menu" to the "ISO sensitivity settings" menu, and viola.

I actually use this as a quick toggle for the AF assist light.

- On the same subject, I want a 1/focal length rule in the Auto ISO settings. On the trip, I was regularly swapping between my 10-20mm for landscapes, and my 70-300 on the 300mm end for birds. Time is tight enough when you've spotted wildlife and need to swap a lens, editing the auto-ISO to suit is an extra step.
The U1 and U2 exposure modes on the D7000 are KILLER for this kinda stuff. It lets you set everything in the camera to something different, including the auto ISO limit and min shutter speed.(and pic quality/size, white balance, P/S/A/M, meter mode, AF area mode, etc etc etc)

So you could set U1 for landscapes (maybe aperture priority mode with top ISO of 400, aperture f/8 or higher, matrix metering, white balance set for full sun, etc)

Then U2 for birds/wildlife (shutter priority, wider aperture and white balance set for shade under trees, center-weighted metering, faster shutter speed, etc)

Maybe time to trade up? :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Unleashed is what I was referring to with the GPS Bluetooth receiver. One more thing to protect, operate and buy batteries for. The implementation is nice within the restrictions, bit far from perfect. Plus, I was using my 10 pin connector a lot this trip and it'd be a pain to keep fiddling with.

Surely GPS wouldn't be that expensive to implement? There are lots of camera features we all pay for and don't use. I don't use my infrared receiver.

Sounds like they're part way there with the 7000. Not enough features to entice me, though, and whatever I get will have a mag body - just hoping a couple of these things make it into the D400.