Quantcast

Ridemonkey beer exchange discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
So, I've thought about it and other people have mentioned it but we've never really got one off the ground. Let's change that. I don't mind being the guy behind the scenes and will probably participate as well but I thought we could brainstorm a bit and get some guidelines first. I thought we could run it like Stosh's Secret Santa, gather a list of participants, pair them randomly and send away. Obviously this would only be open to monkeys who are 21+ but let's discuss some other points and get this thing rolling.

So far we have:

1) Frequency: semi-annually (twice/year)
2) Cost/value/volume of beer to be swapped: ~equivalent to a decent 6-pack
3) Valuing homebrew compared to store bought: brewer's discretion
4) Include preferred styles as guide for sender
5) Package securely, use this link as a guide (thanks pnj)
6) Secret Santa style pairing. You won't be sending to the person you receive from.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think maybe twice a year would be good?

Maybe a 6 pack?

Also, some kind of indication as to what beers are preferred, and what beers you really really don't like (to avoid receiving something you know you won't drink, or at least won't enjoy).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think that'd be a lot of fun.

I just got a homebrew kit for Christmas so look for base10 brews as soon as I get some ingredients :D

In RE: #2, I think we should keep it small. It will encourage more participation and decrease the likelihood that one of us will get arrested...

In RE: #3, I'd say that should be determined by the swapping parties. Some beer will be worth more or less to some people: my homebrews might be worth more to me because I don't have much room or volume while someone who has 3-4 batches at a time cooking might not care much.

We definitely need to put beer tastes on the list... and know that jonKranked can get Dogfish Head 120 minute if you want some :D

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.

Maybe a 6 pack?

Also, some kind of indication as to what beers are preferred, and what beers you really really don't like (to avoid receiving something you know you won't drink, or at least won't enjoy).
My initial thought was a six pack but what about the stuff that only comes in bombers or 4 packs?

I like the preferred styles idea.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis

Maybe a 6 pack?

What did you think of the Furious?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My initial thought was a six pack but what about the stuff that only comes in bombers or 4 packs?

I think we're just going to have to expect that we're adults and need to value things subjectively.

If I buy a 4-pack of DFH 90 minute, I would expect that it would satisfy a requirement for an average decent 6-pack. Similarly, I would expect that if I sent someone a 4-pack of high end beer, they would not pick out 4 regular Sierra Nevadas to send back to me.

(homebrews aside, of course)

Same with bombers. If it's an absolutely killer $15 bomber that you know your monkey is going to love, then so be it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We definitely need to put beer tastes on the list... and know that jonKranked can get Dogfish Head 120 minute if you want some :D
Only when its in season (I think they only brew it a few times a year). Also, what'd you think of it??

Well it doesn't necessarily have to be a 6 pack of only one kind of beer. Like a sampler of different kinds. I only threw 6'er out there because that's a common size/amount of beer. It could also be a growler and a 22. Or a 4 pack and a 40. Mix n' match.

What did you think of the Furious?
I honestly haven't gotten to it yet! I was pretty busy during the holidays and was out of town for the majority of it.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I think we're just going to have to expect that we're adults and need to value things subjectively.

If I buy a 4-pack of DFH 90 minute, I would expect that it would satisfy a requirement for an average decent 6-pack. Similarly, I would expect that if I sent someone a 4-pack of high end beer, they would not pick out 4 regular Sierra Nevadas to send back to me.

(homebrews aside, of course)

Same with bombers. If it's an absolutely killer $15 bomber that you know your monkey is going to love, then so be it.
So we'll go with a 6-pack or the rough value equivalent (be it a 4-pack, bombers etc). Sounds good.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Maybe I'm inferring too much but are you suggesting BV that two people would be sending to each other (ie. you send to me and I back to you)? My thinking was that you would not be sending to the person that you receive from.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, some tips regarding packaging:

ship bottles UPRIGHT. Seriously. That's how they were designed, that's how you should use them.

Wrap bottles to prevent clanging noise (dead giveaway to the carrier) and scratches. Scratches (even ones not visible to the naked eye) weaken the bottle (by the time a bottle reaches a consumer it is only about 1/6th its original strength). Use foam/packing peanuts if available.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only when its in season (I think they only brew it a few times a year). Also, what'd you think of it??
I shared a sip with Jenn's dad and brother. Neither liked it because they were expecting a beer like the other two DFH xx-minute brews.

I was expecting a barley wine, got a barley wine, enjoyed it and decided that if I were to sit down and drink a couple, I would probably wake up in a foreign city with no pants on by an angry police officer demanding to know what I was thinking. :eek:

That stuff has some kick!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe I'm inferring too much but are you suggesting BV that two people would be sending to each other (ie. you send to me and I back to you)? My thinking was that you would not be sending to the person that you receive from.
No, I just was using rough pronouns to demonstrate that I didn't think 4 beers was simply 4 beers regardless of the contents.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I shared a sip with Jenn's dad and brother. Neither liked it because they were expecting a beer like the other two DFH xx-minute brews.

I was expecting a barley wine, got a barley wine, enjoyed it and decided that if I were to sit down and drink a couple, I would probably wake up in a foreign city with no pants on by an angry police officer demanding to know what I was thinking. :eek:

That stuff has some kick!
Lots of kick. Sh*t's 40 proof! As a rule, I never drink more than one in a sitting. By the time I've finished one, I'm buzzing enough that I wouldn't be able to properly enjoy a second.

Glad you enjoyed it though :cheers:

What were your thoughts on the others? I had one of the oyster stouts, and was pleasantly surprised.

Also, I lol'd at base10 brewing :rofl: I might call mine derp-brap brewing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What were your thoughts on the others? I had one of the oyster stouts, and was pleasantly surprised.
They're in my 'fridge. I drank so much freakin' beer over Christmas that I seriously needed a few days of non-drinking. Holy crap.

Also, I am highly suspicious of the oyster stout but will go into it with an open mind :D. I did, in fact, ask for interesting beers.

Also, I lol'd at base10 brewing :rofl: I might call mine derp-brap brewing.
You think I'm kidding, I know.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3210909&postcount=46

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm in. I'd love to send some tasty local brews out, as well as receive some the state DABC (read: gestapo) won't bring in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Or something from a larger brewery that only sees very limited production and/or distribution. Something along the lines of DFH 120, or Sam Adams Chocolate Bock (extremely good!!) or even the Old Fezziwig Ale.
That's right on the money, small batch, hard to find, those are all good, but above all take your recipient into account.

For example, I can get Wachusett IPA, Country Ale or Blueberry Ale at just about any package store out here, they're pretty common all over central New England in fact so If I had IAB or Quo Fan as a recipient I wouldn't bother, but I bet Heidi has never had any of them and might enjoy a sixer that included two of each.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That's right on the money, small batch, hard to find, those are all good, but above all take your recipient into account.

For example, I can get Wachusett IPA, Country Ale or Blueberry Ale at just about any package store out here, they're pretty common all over central New England in fact so If I had IAB or Quo Fan as a recipient I wouldn't bother, but I bet Heidi has never had any of them and might enjoy a sixer that included two of each.
I have had the Wachusett but not the other two. :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I WOULD literally kill someone for it. Hopefully you. ;)

We don't get it here on the east coast.

This summer when I'm in Maine I'm gonna pick a mess of blueberrys and make my own blueberry ale.

Also, anyone who can get brews from Atlantic Brewing, please say so. It kills me to only be able to have that once a year.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I have had the Wachusett but not the other two. :thumb:
They're all Wachusett brews. :)

I WOULD literally kill someone for it. Hopefully you. ;)

We don't get it here on the east coast.

This summer when I'm in Maine I'm gonna pick a mess of blueberrys and make my own blueberry ale.

Also, anyone who can get brews from Atlantic Brewing, please say so. It kills me to only be able to have that once a year.
I'm pretty sure I can get Atlantic, as well as the Fat Tire, I'll check my packy the next time I go.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You guys are just haters. I do admit, Fat Tire wasn't my fav from NB, but its just the fact that I can't get it here.
Their 1554 was the only brew I would actually consider "good" from NB. That said... I haven't bought a NB product in a very long time.

I bet you guys like Genny Cream Ale, or know someone who does.
I've got a couple mates that like PBR. :disgust1:

My dad used to get all excited about Coors when you couldn't get it east of the Mississippi. :disgust1:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
shuttles only drinks IPAs. His opinion about beer is as reliable as a vegetarian's opinion about a cheeseburger.
Good point.

I've got a couple mates that like PBR. :disgust1:
Hey, I enjoy a PBR or 12 from time to time. Well, not really enjoy so much as consume. And not really from time to time, but just when I want to wake up with diarrhea and no recollection of the previous night.

Status
Not open for further replies.