Ridemonkey beer exchange discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Thank you...

Please go back, take a look at the first post and let me know if you have any suggestions, I think I've pulled in all the relevant discussion so far.
Secret Santa model seems to work. Put names in a hat, draw, & distribute.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think the beer exchange should be reserved for well known members in good standing. So far, everyone in this thread qualifies.

As far as homebrew or commercial brew....I vote yes.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
You should be thankful. Fat Tire sucks. :p
When we lived in Memphis we had to drive to arkansas to get Fat Tire. We made the pilgrimage quite regularly. Memphis beer selection is terrible. When we moved to Wisconsin, it was nowhere to be found. It just made it's way into the state and it was this huge deal and everybody was so excited and I went out and got a bottle and was so dissapointed I can't imagine ever thinking it was good in the first place.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
When we lived in Memphis we had to drive to arkansas to get Fat Tire. We made the pilgrimage quite regularly. Memphis beer selection is terrible. When we moved to Wisconsin, it was nowhere to be found. It just made it's way into the state and it was this huge deal and everybody was so excited and I went out and got a bottle and was so dissapointed I can't imagine ever thinking it was good in the first place.
Honestly, I think that it's all relative... When your option for a local brew is Brooklyn Brewery Lager, FT is *awesome*. When your option for a local brew is Tyranena, NG, Lakefront, Capital, Ale Asylum, Sprecher, Central Waters, etc, then it's really, really easy to pass over national brews like NB. Honestly, I'll get around to trying some of the other NB brews once I get through all of the WI product. Should only take another year or so. :)

(Oh, count me in on the beer exchange! :thumb:)

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I think the beer exchange should be reserved for well known members in good standing. So far, everyone in this thread qualifies.

As far as homebrew or commercial brew....I vote yes.
Well, until you posted...

They'll let anyone in here now won't they?

Good suggestion but how do we want to qualify known members in good standing? Post count? Join date? Both?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Honestly, I think that it's all relative... When your option for a local brew is Brooklyn Brewery Lager, FT is *awesome*. When your option for a local brew is Tyranena, NG, Lakefront, Capital, Ale Asylum, Sprecher, Central Waters, etc, then it's really, really easy to pass over national brews like NB. Honestly, I'll get around to trying some of the other NB brews once I get through all of the WI product. Should only take another year or so. :)

(Oh, count me in on the beer exchange! :thumb:)
New Belgium's new Lips of Faith lineup is pretty kick ass. New brewmaster I believe. The Bier de Mars is a winner.

Oh...and I'd be down for participating. I'm out in Seattle and have access to a couple specialty stores where I can get bad ass Belgians and other West Coast micros.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
New Belgium's new Lips of Faith lineup is pretty kick ass. New brewmaster I believe. The Bier de Mars is a winner.
Not available within 50 miles of where I live... We only got the (expensive) bombers of Fat tire this spring, followed (slowly) by 6 packs of that and 1554. And while I'm sure that they're good, it's hard to pass over the local beer when I'm out shopping (I've had Fat Tire and it's uninspiring compared to some local brews, but haven't had anything else by NB). Similar to the Sam Adams Brewmaster series, if I'm going to pay $10-11/4-pack, I'm going to see if I can grab one of the remaining Capital Eisphyre's or the barrel-aged Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter. The variety (and quality) of local beer is such that it's hard to look past it (and sometimes pay even more) for a nationwide brewery.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Not available within 50 miles of where I live... We only got the (expensive) bombers of Fat tire this spring, followed (slowly) by 6 packs of that and 1554. And while I'm sure that they're good, it's hard to pass over the local beer when I'm out shopping (I've had Fat Tire and it's uninspiring compared to some local brews, but haven't had anything else by NB). Similar to the Sam Adams Brewmaster series, if I'm going to pay $10-11/4-pack, I'm going to see if I can grab one of the remaining Capital Eisphyre's or the barrel-aged Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter. The variety (and quality) of local beer is such that it's hard to look past it (and sometimes pay even more) for a nationwide brewery.
Ah. Gotcha. I'm spoiled out here. Within a 20 minute drive I've got 2 stores that can procure just about anything (and I'm still working my way through their existing list...).

Those Sam Adams Brewmaster dealies are no joke. Pretty doggone good. I was really really really surprised. I had the porter and the white.

In regards to the NB beers...1554 is an awesome black ale. The rest of their regular line-up is alright...but with the selection you have out there, wait for the really special stuff to make it's way to you.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Ah. Gotcha. I'm spoiled out here. Within a 20 minute drive I've got 2 stores that can procure just about anything (and I'm still working my way through their existing list...).

Those Sam Adams Brewmaster dealies are no joke. Pretty doggone good. I was really really really surprised. I had the porter and the white.

In regards to the NB beers...1554 is an awesome black ale. The rest of their regular line-up is alright...but with the selection you have out there, wait for the really special stuff to make it's way to you.
Yeah, I'm pretty spoiled out here as well. I'll refer you to Laura's comment on the beer selection in WI. :thumb:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
One suggestion:

How to determine if someone is good for sending beer? I think the best way is to, at least for the first round, limit it to homebrewers. That'll cut out the riff raff. If we want proof, have them post a pic of their RM name written on something in front of their homebrew setup. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to send ONLY homebrew but I think it'll elevate the quality of what's passed around.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
One suggestion:

How to determine if someone is good for sending beer? I think the best way is to, at least for the first round, limit it to homebrewers. That'll cut out the riff raff. If we want proof, have them post a pic of their RM name written on something in front of their homebrew setup. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to send ONLY homebrew but I think it'll elevate the quality of what's passed around.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey wankers, while you were busy being a bunch of nancy fairies, HAB and I did our own beer exchange!!

He got:

-Found Fathers Breakfast Stout
-Samuel Smith India Ale
-Black Sheep Ale
-Brooklyn Black Ops

I got:
-Stone Brewing Smoked Porter
-Bear Rupublic Breweing Big Bear Black Stout
-Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
-Maui Brewing Coconut Porter

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Or...instead of just limiting it to homebrewers, we could just take pictures of the beer collection with our ridemonkey name somewhere in there, post the pics in a thread (or whatever) and exchange with other members who have posted pictures...

Say you like IPAs...go to the thread, see who has a picture with a nice selection of IPAs, get in contact and go nuts. Dunno....sounds kinda like a good idea for "eliminating the riff raff" without to many restrictions...

I also haven't had much coffee this morning, so details are a bit patchy at best...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Or...instead of just limiting it to homebrewers, we could just take pictures of the beer collection with our ridemonkey name somewhere in there, post the pics in a thread (or whatever) and exchange with other members who have posted pictures...
Am I worthy? Beer in my fridge right now (although the Eisphyre is from the basement):

From left to right:

Ale Asylum Ballistic - IPA
NG Hop Hearty - IPA
Capital Winter - American Amber / Red Lager
NG Cabin Fever - Honey / Maibock
Capital Autumnal Fire - Dopplebock
Capital Eisphyre - Eisbock
Tyranena Dirty Old Man -Imperial Rye Porter aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels
Milwaukee Brewing Company Baltic Porter - Barrel-aged porter
Atwarter Block Brewery Vanilla Java Porter - Not sending this, it's not great...
Gray's Oatmeal Stout
New Glarus Roadslush - Oatmeal Stout
Central Waters Satin Solstice - Russian Imperial Stout
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Those are either ones I'd be willing to trade or at least could go get my hands on. Not even posting the basement stash... ;) But seriously, there's enough variety out here that if someone wants to trade and gives me a vague idea of what they like (Porters/Stouts, Hoppy IPAs, Sweet Bocks, Hefeweizens, etc) it would be easy to put together an assortment. This is just what I have on hand, in the hopes that I'm found worthy.

For me, I like anything/everything, but trend towards the sweeter darker beers in the winter (RIS, Oatmeal Stouts, etc) and IPAs and Hefeweizens in the summer. Anything that is titled "Light American Lager" gets a cock punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.