Quantcast

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In terms of the force on the wheel, pushing the bike forward through the chainstay, this is much greater on a climb than can possibly be accelerating on level (or DH).

That's how it knows you're climbing
Eh?

I generate far more watts sprinting than I ever do climbing.. at what force in Watts does it decide I'm climbing?
and if what I think I've understood you're trying to say.. how does the gradient affect that force?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I was going to pull the plug on this shitshow, but decided that I would let it live.
For anybody searching for some Tantrum information, this will be an eye opener - if they don't commit suicide first.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was going to pull the plug on this shitshow, but decided that I would let it live.
For anybody searching for some Tantrum information, this will be an eye opener - if they don't commit suicide first.

Anyone who actually reads all of this clearly has nothing to live for.

Axa

PETTY CORPORATE SHILL
Sep 4, 2016
Hemsedal, Norway
[QUOTE="Sandwich, post: 4178255, member: 2593".
>>>>>>>>>>
As for @Axa, sorry dude, but about 90% of your posts have been about how great this design is, with the remaining 2 posts or so in the linkage fork thread. I thought it was funny to jokingly give you the "corporate shill" title, but then you gravedug and disliked every post that disagreed with Brian (and liked all that agreed with him). So now you get what you got. If you continue to participate here after this shitstorm dies down, I promise I'll change your title.
<<<<<<<<<<<[/QUOTE]

Its ok. I agree it was funny along the tinfoil conspiracy theories! :-) I just did not get its not allowed for everyone to use the like/dislike and so on.. buttons. But more I know it's only for the accepted ones..

Regarding me being a gadget crazy noob. That's note even possible since all my savings are going to my new bike. And the cars in our family are worth less then a new bike, so no chance I can afford any gadgets.

In case it matters who I really am:
I've been working with mechanics since school mainly on big boats as an repairman but also as a bike mec and have always been doing 100% of al family car maintenance and for friends, including clutch, gearbox and timing belt replacement. Last 15years I've been a skipatroler and fire and rescue smokediver. Also working partially as snowkiting and climbing instructor and guide.
Mountainbiking is my main summer interest since it fits well in between work and family time, compared to paragliding and other time consuming outdorsports.

I don't do much DH anymore since I prefer technical trailriding and enduro and my riding buddy's and wufe do the same. So you don't need to worry about me posting annoying things in any other then this thread in the DH forum! ;-)

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
No. it's entirely consciously... Yes. it's natural. and controlled by muscle memory and instinct more than thinking hard about it. Subconscious implies something you do without focus and are not aware of at the time.
I agree
I'm with you. But for anyone searching for info, they won't click on this, thankfully (for changing the title). You have to wade thru 20 pages of insults to get to 4 pages of discussion. Sad. This is more for the people that want to keep the hate alive, in between a few legit questions.

Maybe it should continue it's evolution into psycological disorders and how they are manifested in the anononimity of the internet

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Eh?

I generate far more watts sprinting than I ever do climbing.. at what force in Watts does it decide I'm climbing?
and if what I think I've understood you're trying to say.. how does the gradient affect that force?
Would you agree that it takes more force to push a weight up a hill than on level ground? At the same speed?

More force to just hold a bike or car still on a hill? than on level ground?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
At the same speed? I can sprint to over 40mph on the flat so er... yes. I'd agree it would take a shit load more force to hit that on an incline... (but no way can I be bothered putting out 400W in a climb... nevermind 3x that (What I'll top out around when I actually do want to sprint).

The force required to just "hold" a bike still on an incline is not awfully large. No.

I spy with my little eye... Something beginning with "F"

;)

Jan 5, 2017
A
Felt_Bicycles_2016_Compulsion_10_Frameset.jpg
s fare as I know this is just a six bar, that's been around for years. Felt has been selling it for long time for instance the Compulsion 10. I don't see much difference.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If I underestimate my sales numbers, I think that means I'm having a good year.

But let's follow your logic. 4 weeks after delivery, cracks start to appear due to a mfg defect. That means that whatever frames that are available will have already been made, maybe on the boat, when we realize this problem. The last thing I want to do is replace defective frames with some that have the exact same problem.

Yes, that means they would have to wait. But to me, that's better than giving somebody a replacement that I know will fail. I just can't see any point in that. No matter what another batch will have to be made. Why not the new gen that's already in the works?

With my previous model bike, they were usually completely sold out by May/June, except for maybe an XXL or extra small or 2. I had to have one of my personal frames warrantied after a couple years due to corrosion. There were none, so I got a frame that was 2 years newer. Worked for me.
You do realize not all of your frames have to fail? There are incosistencies in welding. Also it's not a success when you sell 100-200 frames right away and then ruin your business for years. Sunn bicycles did that. Do you see them now?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You might want to reconsider those statements in light of the actual thread. I came in a few pages in, when an extremely poor analysis was presented, which had no bearing on the actual suspension. It had LR's that were fully 30% off the charts, AS numbers that bore no meaning to the real bike. Claims of evil, unrideable traits that these numbers most produce.

No. I did not and will not provide dimensional info to satisfy you. I DID tell everyone that the numbers presented were severely inaccurate and did not reflect the bike. I told them that most of the LR curve was off the charts, I even mentioned which parts of the curve. I mentioned hard numbers, that my LR never exceeded 3.0 :1. I told them that the starting LR used was also beyond reality.

If I was really trying to find out what the suspension did and the designer give me the above clues (listening to learn), I would go back to my analysis and adjust it and see if it made more sense. Instead, I am told that MY numbers are wrong, and Hmcleay comes up some conclusions that are NOT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!! When I question him and these very direct, very obvious contradictions in his conclusion, he clams up.

Just like any of you, when asked a serious question by me. Or you just resort to name calling, funny memes and avoidance of the topic.

I did give you data. You just didn't want to use it. Didn't want to believe it. Didn't want to discuss it. It's easier to spew hatred than have a discussion where you already claimed and flamed you knew it all and might have to back up a bit.
Dude. I asked if the graphs provided are wrong can you give us an approximation. Did you give it to us? Nope. I asked where they are wrong and you didn't respond. So outside of responding with "OMGWTFBBQ you are wrong, my hands are big, I have the best experts" you did give us no info about the bike outside of the fact that you are putting more pressure on uphill capabilities of the bike than most producers and care less about downhill performance than most (when most want a decently pedaling bike that is great on the downhills, you want a great pedaling bike that is decent on the downhills and expect the shock to work double time)

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Dude. I asked if the graphs provided are wrong can you give us an approximation. Did you give it to us? Nope. I asked where they are wrong and you didn't respond. So outside of responding with "OMGWTFBBQ you are wrong, my hands are big, I have the best experts" you did give us no info about the bike outside of the fact that you are putting more pressure on uphill capabilities of the bike than most producers and care less about downhill performance than most (when most want a decently pedaling bike that is great on the downhills, you want a great pedaling bike that is decent on the downhills and expect the shock to work double time)
Sure i did. Multiple times. I believe your graph started around 1.6 to 1 and continued dropping all the way thru the stroke till about 3.3 ish.

I said the top of the graph is wrong, by about 15%. The bottom never goes over 3:1. It falls pretty quickly from topout to sag, more gently from sag to 50% and flattens out after that.

I told you exactly why I want this rate. to encourage the suspension to move deeper into its travel and respond better to impacts. To a point.

I told you that I prefer a low volume, hi rising rate spring as opposed to progressive linkage for the bottom of the stroke.

I have made the above points repeatedly throughout this thread.

And to this date, nobody has bothered to address the gross inconsistencies and contradictions in the analysis done. The conclusions by your own "experts" do not even agree with themselves. Nobody cares to talk about it.

Would you care to now?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
This thread is like watching a car crash, but from the comfort of my couch.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Sure i did. Multiple times. I believe your graph started around 1.6 to 1 and continued dropping all the way thru the stroke till about 3.3 ish.

I said the top of the graph is wrong, by about 15%. The bottom never goes over 3:1. It falls pretty quickly from topout to sag, more gently from sag to 50% and flattens out after that.

I told you exactly why I want this rate. to encourage the suspension to move deeper into its travel and respond better to impacts. To a point.

I told you that I prefer a low volume, hi rising rate spring as opposed to progressive linkage for the bottom of the stroke.

I have made the above points repeatedly throughout this thread.

And to this date, nobody has bothered to address the gross inconsistencies and contradictions in the analysis done. The conclusions by your own "experts" do not even agree with themselves. Nobody cares to talk about it.

Would you care to now?
"What matters is the ride."

:popcorn:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Funny that it managed to devolve into a shit show on two different forums. There might be a PB thread too, but it probably got buried under "what DH should my mom buy me?" threads.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
You do realize not all of your frames have to fail? There are incosistencies in welding. Also it's not a success when you sell 100-200 frames right away and then ruin your business for years. Sunn bicycles did that. Do you see them now?
Norbar,

It seems that when there is a failure, it is likely to be "batch" related. When I was working with another bike company years ago, the whistler rental fleet developed an issue of cracking under the HT weld to the DT. I spent the night with the PM dye checking all the frames and sending the serial numbers to the factory. They eventually traced it to a batch that was welded at too high of heat. I was impressed that they had such good records.

That batch was about 200 bikes, or, my entire first years production run. And they will all be done at once, in one batch. As far as frame to frame weld inconsistencies, I've never seen that to the extent that one would fail. There is pretty good QC and inspection.

If the batch is bad for whatever reason, it would likely be isolated to one are, whether fr triangle, CS or SS. In any case, I would probably take the opportunity for an improvement to the design that had more room for error in that particular spot. At the small quantities I'm working with, it could be within a month or 2. In my opinion, better than replacing it with another defective part.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Funny that it managed to devolve into a shit show on two different forums. There might be a PB thread too, but it probably got buried under "what DH should my mom buy me?" threads.
It's not that funny. The same 2 experts posted the contested analysis. For some reason, on the "other" forum, the shistorm has vanished and the thread is now a logical discussion with a lot of demo reviews to compare. Not sure why anyone would not want to post a positive comment here.......

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
When I was working with another bike company years ago, the whistler rental fleet developed an issue of cracking under the HT weld to the DT. I spent the night with the PM dye checking all the frames and sending the serial numbers to the factory.
Really? I didn't know any of our Prime Ministers were into mountain bikes. Which one? Harper? Martin? Or are we going way back to The Little Guy from Shawinigan? Chrétien would bust you in the chops if you got in his way.

Chimp
Nov 1, 2017
Well...I'll chime in. I own one of these bikes now, and have ridden it on my favorite chunky trails.
without further ado...the bike rides like the reviewers say.
It blew my mind how it makes my lines uphill stupid easy. It does change the game...

a 6 inch bump eater that respond almost telepathically to what is needed
...is wicked hard to explain, so I used that term.

best riding bike ever, and the build and frame is big bike co production level quality

took me 6 miles to figure out it wasn't gonna kill me, (j/k but you know, feeling it out
at shakedown speeds in case I needed adjustments)
then at mile 10 the stinky climbs started, and by mile 19 I needed no more convincing.

absolutely unreal. the more you need traction, the more it's right there

EatsDirt

Chimp
Nov 6, 2017
This thread is gold... the snarks and professional interneters are quite entertaining.

Forget about the weird marketing, leverage curves, your internet manhood measurements... Ride it, then talk sh!t.