Quantcast

Ridemonkey's Photographer Feature: Part Two with Nicolas Teichrob!

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Due to the popularity of Nicolas Teichrob's first Photographer Feature, we asked him to come back and do a second part. You will not be disappointed by the absolute nugs that Mr. Teichrob was able to find on the darkroom floor.
---

Words and Photos by Nicolas Teichrob

1) Curtis Robinson - Whistler, BC.

This was shot during the Deep Summer photo comp of 2010 (along with shots #3, 4, 5, 6), on the first day. We were lucky to get some rad fog light first thing in the morning. We had scouted this feature and shooting angles the day before, so we got straight to it. Curtis has to be one of the most stylish mountain bikers out there, and he made nailing this shot simple with this smooth riding.

2) Mike Hopkins - Coast, BC.

The first time Mr Mike Hopkins came out to visit, we ripped moss-laden trails for days. This is one of my favourite zones to ride because the area is so rich with moss and radness. Mike's poppy style worked well for this shot, airing out of a corner that most people would ride as a wheels-on-the-ground standard turn. Mike and I have a project or two down the road, so stay tuned for that.

3) Triple whip - Curtis, Dylan, and Kyle, Whistler, BC.

This shot is a pure demonstration of the skills The Coastal Crew has. This is a well shot jump in the Whistler bike park, often shot with two riders. We started by shooting Curtis and Kyle whipping opposite directions, and taking off side-by-side on the jump. That looked rad, but wasn't anything new. When Dyl saw Kyle and Curt hit the jump the first time, immediately he said "I can fit in-between them." That put a smile on my face no doubt. So then we proceeded to shoot a few takes with Curt and Norbs taking off side by side and Dyl taking off less than a bike length behind them. Curtis and Norbs are fully whipped and on their way down while Dyl whips early, so he's fully whipped and on the way up. The result is this image with all three of the The Coastal Crew whipped at the same time on the same jump.

4) Curtis Robinson- Whistler, BC.

Curtis has wanted a cool tilt shift shot for a while now. I have a hand built tilt shift lens that is incredibly finicky, but when dialed in, can produce some cool results. This rock roll is pretty long, but again, it was kind of a standard park feature. The tilt shift allows for the entire line to be in focus vs just one point. I like this shot because the tilt and focus were 100% manual and this is how it came out (vs pumping in a tilt shift effect in post…)

5) Curtis Robinson, Whistler, BC.

This is an alpine gem that truly highlights the skills of Curtis as a rider. One may ask, where is the run-in and run-out for this rock ride feature…well, there barely is one. Curt built a short cobblestone path into it and his exit was pretty much boulders. Skills like this help make the photogs job easier and Curtis nailed this one.

6) Curtis Robinson and Kyle Norbraten, Whistler, BC.

A nice lifestyle to close off this photo set. Waiting for epic light, we hung out in an alpine zone for a while shooting various features. Clouds pumped along the horizon and the light was firing. Curtis and Norbs enjoy a short break in shooting here and just soak in the scene.

That's all for now!. To see more of my work, please visit my website or Dendrite Studios. My photography website is out of date as a new one is being built which should be out in the near future, stay tuned.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3617148#post3617148[/fblike]

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I normally don't like tilt/shift shots but man, that's quite an effect - makes that line look like it's a thousand feet tall.

Nice shots.