Quantcast

Rider down at China Camp.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sad day at China Camp yesterday. I rode up on a rider down yesterday morning. His riding partner was giving him CPR when I rode up, and the paramedics were unable to revive him. I don't really have any details, but he passed away on the hill. My condolences to his family and friends.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I think that was Dan (old Dan) :( heard about it yesterday...

Alex was the one trying to revive him.. Sad indeed!

I don’t know exactly what the trail layout is there…but Alex told me they were doing a quick stop after 15 minutes of warm up ride. They were about to start again, when Dan misstepped his right and lost balance since he put all his weight on one foot. He was too close to the right and fell right and backward to a lower trail about 4 to 5 feet. But his head hit the ground first, which took most of the impact. He had couple of deep breath, then stopped.

I used to see Dan all the time up in Pacifica..such a tragic accident!

Alex said two riders showed up after the incident and one helped with the CPR...was that you guys?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I showed up about shortly afterwards. I rode up the trail to meet the emt.

STP

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
San Francisco
Dan was an amazing guy who would shame all us younger guys with his incredable fitness level. It just won't be the same not hearing about the epic riding days him & Alex would log in every weekend. He will be deeply missed & my thoughts go out to his family & friends.
RIP Dan.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
Dan's funeral service will be holding on Next Saturday, December 9, 2006.

It will be at Evergreen Mortuary at Geary Boulevard and Tenth Ave in San Francisco. Service starting @ 10am (PST).

If you cannot make it, I beleive Dan will understand.

Please pass on this info to people who needs to be reach, since I don't have everyone's contact.

Thank you for your help.

Dan was 57.

Some of you might have seen these. Here are some clips from Sept 09, 2006

http://ridemtb.com/movie/crack091006b.wmv
http://ridemtb.com/movie/Mile091006.wmv
http://ridemtb.com/movie/boyscout091006.wmv

For those of you don't know Dan Yu, on the right. Expert Men 55+ XC 3rd Place - 2006 @ Sea Otter Classic

and too many, too many of those good ride, good memory...

Thank you Dan.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
And deeply thank you Zack and Brooks stopped by and help, so that I didn't have to deal with the whole thing alone until the Fire Crews came.

Also a big thank for the other rider rode up to lead the search and rescue team to the sence. I couldn't get his name.

And of course, thank you for the Search and Rescue and the Fire Flighters.

Thank you!

Nov 27, 2006
Petaluma
I came upon the scene as the the EMS were taking Dan away, very tragic. I didn't know Dan, but I can tell he will be missed by all those who did. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

MojoRider

Chimp
Nov 27, 2006
Berkeley, CA
And deeply thank you Zack and Brooks stopped by and help, so that I didn't have to deal with the whole thing alone until the Fire Crews came.

Also a big thank for the other rider rode up to lead the search and rescue team to the sence. I couldn't get his name.

And of course, thank you for the Search and Rescue and the Fire Flighters.

Thank you!

Alex - I heard about this forum thread from a friend/rider and thought I would chime in. No need to thank Brooks and I (Zac). We only wish we could have done more to help. I am thankful I had the pleasure of riding with you and Dan in Pacifica a few weeks ago and will remember Dan forever.

Needless to say this has been a life changing experience. *I am not sure how these changes will manifest themselves, but hopefully not in my mountain biking. I will be more thoughtful in my "good buys" and in measuring what is really important.

Stay strong, our hearts are with you. Hopefully we'll see you at the memorial on the 9th.

Zac

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Dan was an amazing guy who would shame all us younger guys with his incredable fitness level. It just won't be the same not hearing about the epic riding days him & Alex would log in every weekend. He will be deeply missed & my thoughts go out to his family & friends.
RIP Dan.
Yeah it’s very sad – I’m still in shock! Anyone that has ridden Pacifica extensively has at one point or another ran into Dan and Alex.

He passed away doing something he loved – RIP Dan!

And like I told Alex earlier this week – my most sincere sympathies and condolences goes out to his family and friends.

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Wow... this one hits home. I don't know Dan, but ride China Camp on a somewhat regular basis. In '02, my wife went down the embankment on the section of Bayview between 2nd & 3rd bridge, and I've since paid it healthy respect.

But this... I'm at a loss. Sounds more like a freak slip rather than a "bike accident".

My heartfelt condolences to Dan's family and friends. Find solace in knowing that he passed doing what he loved. It was too early -- it often is -- but when my time comes, I can only hope for it to be so quick and unassumed.

I suspect I know where my thoughts will turn every time I ride across "Dan's Bridge". I will also have to remind myself that hundreds of like-minded cyclists transit this same point every weekend without incident; that Bayview trail, and China Camp as a whole, remain a safe and fun venue to ride our bikes and share our experiences with others.

Dan Yu, rest in peace.

mikehell

Chimp
Aug 18, 2004
Thank you for sharing. I was with Dana when we came upon the scene of the tragedy. Very sobering and a reminder to live our lives to the fullest as made obvious by the pics and vids of Dan. My best wishes to all his loved ones.

Please pass on this info to people who needs to be reach, since I don't have everyone's contact.

Thank you for your help.

Dan was 57.

Thank you Dan.[/QUOTE]

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
It took Dan three years before he ran into me to have company to do all day XC and DH epic rides. It took me almost two years of riding in order for me to keep up with him.

Well, if you know any rider can do the same, please let me know.

RIP Dan.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
This is truly sad news, I met Dan a few times over the years and he was always a great guy to talk to . My condolences go out to his family and friends, you will be missed Dan.

-j-

Chimp
Jan 18, 2002
pacifica, baby
so sorry to hear about this.
loved running into dan on the mountain, in the shop, wherever. he always made me smile.
condolences to his family and friends - especially you, alex. i can't quite imagine having to go through that myself.
j

Nov 27, 2006
Petaluma
Alex,

I hope you are seeking help from friends/family/professionals to deal with the tragic loss of your friend. I can't imagine having to witness something like that. We're all behind you!

Mtnman

Chimp
Nov 6, 2001
I have ridden with Dan and Alex at Pacifica and Downieville. I cannot believe what has happened! I feel numb. I always remember Dan as the guy with a low key, mellow personality. Just out there to enjoy life and riding. And man, what a fit dude! He climbed up the 1/2 mile section of Downieville on his V-10 faster than I could on my Swithblade...and he is 14 yrs older than I!

My sincere sympathy goes out to his family and friends. Alex, its great you were there to help him.

ride23

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
my condolences ... I met Dan at Downieville a few times ... he is a true inspiration !!!

Nov 27, 2006
Petaluma
I have contacted the park service requesting that the 3rd bridge on the Bayview trail in China Camp be dedicated to Dan Yu.

The request is being considered and Dan's riding partner and friends are going to come up with wording for the plaque.

I will be asking for donations from the MTB community for the costs, I don't think it will be much.

Are there any artists out there who could make something really unique... Maybe something everyone could touch on there way over the bridge?

[un]

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bernal Heights, SF
My condoleances to family and friends and my deepest thoughts to you Alex as you're probably now going through one of the toughest situation of his life.
RIP Ol'Dan

Attachments

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
Thanks Yeou..

That reminds me one time, (2005?) he fell down the side of the First Divided Trail. Luckly, he got stopped by a tree. He was able to get out. That was in our third run I think. He was so shacky, that we took the Fire Road out instead of the rest of the First Divided. Funny, but scared me! I almost want to go back to see if he got a flat or got into trouble...

[un];2370944 said:
My condoleances to family and friends and my deepest thoughts to you Alex as you're probably now going through one of the toughest situation of his life.
RIP Ol'Dan

M

Montara

Damn, that's incredibly sad. I'm very sorry to hear this Alex. I met Dan (and Alex) several times on Montara Mtn. and at other spots. He was a very inspirational rider. Ride in peace Dan.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Man i am really sorry to hear that. i met dan a couple of times at vision, he was a really cool guy!

alex, good luck working through this, it must be very hard.

RIP Dan.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
Tomorrow is the day!

Serive is on Saturday, December 9, 2006.

It will be at Evergreen Mortuary at Geary Boulevard and Tenth Ave in San Francisco. Service starting @ 10am (PST).

Dan's funeral service will be holding on Next Saturday, December 9, 2006.

Thank you for your help.

Dan was 57.

http://ridemtb.com/movie/crack091006b.wmv
http://ridemtb.com/movie/Mile091006.wmv
http://ridemtb.com/movie/boyscout091006.wmv

For those of you don't know Dan Yu, on the right. Expert Men 55+ XC 3rd Place - 2006 @ Sea Otter Classic

Thank you Dan.