Quantcast

Rider down...hard.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Didnt know this cat, but know the trails he was on. RiP to a local guy who deserved better. Be careful out there folks.

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Death-investigation-on-Mount-Herman-Road-445133403.html
Trail use conflict? Where did they find the body? Some of those folks in those houses up against the Limbaugh Canon connector have historically been pretty pissy about people being on/near personal property.

Edit: The trail I'm thinking of has apparently been named "white ghost trail". Last time I was up there it was new and was unnamed and had been built because of trespassing concerns.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:(

Saw the missing post on Facebook then saw a found post, so I assumed all was well. Sad to hear that isn't the case, I hope they are able to find the killer and make some sense of what is on the surface a very senseless murder.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Trail use conflict? Where did they find the body? Some of those folks in those houses up against the Limbaugh Canon connector have historically been pretty pissy about people being on/near personal property.

Edit: The trail I'm thinking of has apparently been named "white ghost trail". Last time I was up there it was new and was unnamed and had been built because of trespassing concerns.
Dont know yet where he was found exactly...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You know, for a town with so many cyclists, the Springs really isnt very cycle friendly. I did a three hour road ride the other day, nothing fancy, but I was FUCKING TERRIFIED a few times by morons in cars and trucks of all sorts. And this was while in bike lanes much of the time. It was so bad that I am considering selling the roadie because I really dont think it will get much time in the near future. I gave up carrying guns awhile back, but just might make an exception now.

Sad...John sad.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I dunno. Granted I ride at weird times and through a mostly industrial area most times when I road ride, usually to work, but in thirteen years I can count on one hand the number of "incidents" I've had. I actually tend to think of the springs as pretty bike friendly. Sure, a single white line to the left of the curb does not a bike lane make, no matter what the city might think, but I think it's okay a majority of the time.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Maybe I will stick to riding the AFA roads or driving to destination rides. Centuries were always good places to meet women folk. Baptist Road enroute to my house is scary, and even the smaller surface roads in the area are too tight and twisty, seems like I always meet some idiot in a jacked up truck or stupid Toyota who thinks he has something to prove...

Perhaps I am simply riding the wrong roads.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Maybe I will stick to riding the AFA roads or driving to destination rides. Centuries were always good places to meet women folk. Baptist Road enroute to my house is scary, and even the smaller surface roads in the area are too tight and twisty, seems like I always meet some idiot in a jacked up truck or stupid Toyota who thinks he has something to prove...

Perhaps I am simply riding the wrong roads.
No matter how Colorado, Colorado Springs is, it's still going to have a lot of backwater brought in by military that decided to stay and the mentality that comes with it. We get that once you get 20 miles either way east/west of 25.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
surface roads in the area are too tight and twisty
Theirs your problem. I have to say, there is no way I'd road ride up by your house, for exactly that reason. Most of those roads have no shoulder at all, and very poor/limited visibility. That group of folks who ride Roller Coaster Road on Sundays sometimes are nuts.

No matter how Colorado, Colorado Springs is, it's still going to have a lot of backwater brought in by military that decided to stay and the mentality that comes with it. We get that once you get 20 miles either way east/west of 25.
I think that's fair in regards to social issues, but remember the Olympic training center is also here. I'm of the opinion that most folks in this town, if anything, are more aware and friendly towards cyclists and runners than is probably true in most other cities because of it. I have kicked in a door and screamed at some people here, but in my experience being on the road here is a fairly benign experience. If anything, I've had more positive experience than negative ones. Cheers, encouragement, a couple ride offers in shitty weather, etc. Again, where I ride is not where John rides so maybe that's the difference. Hes closer to monument than the springs. Maybe Monument just attracts bigger assholes? It is where $tinkle and N8 live/lived, so there is that.:D