Quantcast

Riding across the states, East to West.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The cat isn't quite out of the bag yet so I can't quite share the details too much but similar to my race across America jaunt I will be riding from the east coast to the west coast in September-ish.

I am fat and haven't been in the road bike scene or even aware of it since I stepped off the RAAM podium and am now in the hunt for a CX trainer bike and a race bike for the trip itself. It technically won't be a race per say but I am wanting to stuff the best times on my computer per day as possible. I won't be needing a TT bike as I did on RAAM so I was just going to get one solid frame and a couple wheelsets for the sag rig.

So starting out, what is a good CX/gravel and dirt bike these days for a trainer? I am not going to ride the asphalt around here as I have been hit too many times and a frequent amount of fatalities lately so I will be sticking to the gravel and dirt for major training. Whats your opinions for a CX trainer?

During RAAM I was riding a tarmac for my race bike and was happy with it but I am sure there are more choices out now and been looking through the BMC and Felt line as well. Any suggestions for the race bike?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Considering I did the RAAM on 2 s Works bikes I am not afraid to drop the coin on the ride since it is my ass and bones getting jarred for a month.
Not saying that dropping the extra money on a bike is not worth it.
But 5.6k for a steel bike is not "affordable" to most people. For the same money, you can buy a much better bike. Even 3k for a steel bike is a bit ludicrous.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Hell my parted together steel Colnago has set me back close to 4k and compared to high end road bikes that bike in the link is affordable.
I know alot of way high end road bikes can cost 10k and ultra high end can cost 30k, but i dont see the advantage. Of course im no expert, just what makes sense in mind.
My bank account is not that big. IF i ever wanted to spend 5k on a bike, why would i choose steel? I know steel is good at absorbing bumps, and wont disintegrate in the sun. But at the price, no bike would be left outside in the sun no matter what its made from. My two bikes now have covers on them to help protect them, they arent even carbon.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
when you are on the bike all day long for weeks at a time and trying to eek out every MPH while keeping your body from falling apart and finding yourself in 62 mph descents, cost is minimal at that second.
I understand that, but at that price point, why choose steel over carbon or alloy? Durability? Thats just what im trying to figure out. Im not roadie, learn me some tings.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
for me thin wall steel has a type of resiliency and road surface feedback that I don't get from other materials. The frame has a particular flex when you are near the performance edge. That and a good welder can repair most crash damage plus I have yet to see a steel frame have a catastrophic failure, unlike Carbon bars, forks frames and wheel sets. Not saying it doesn't happen but I have seen and have know of many carbon failures. i have broken dropouts, and bottom bracket shells (rust and old age) but they did not cause a crash and I have snapped an aluminum crank arm in a sprint ( that crash really hurt) Carbon when it goes it just goes