Quantcast

Riding around Annacortes?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Will be in Washington next week and I have a few days open in the middle of the week and would like to ride. I'm staying in the Tacoma area but plan on meeting up and riding with a friend who is staying on Lopez island, so something near Annacortes would be nice. A quick internet search shows we can rent bikes at Skagit bike and there are a few trails in that area. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't on the path to failure, should I consider another place to source bikes and can you recommend some great trails reasonable close to that area?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Lots of good stuff around there.
Heart Lake, Cranberry Lake, Whistle Lake are all good.

Parking at Heart Lake would be my first choice.
Don't forget to stop at the Bakery on Commercial and 37th on the way back.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lots of good stuff around there.
Heart Lake, Cranberry Lake, Whistle Lake are all good.

Parking at Heart Lake would be my first choice.
Don't forget to stop at the Bakery on Commercial and 37th on the way back.
Thanks!

Heart lake was my first choice with Cranberry second. Will try to hit up both.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Holy crap on a popsickle stick, Milkman i'm working/staying up there with bikey!

pm sent, hopefully i'll catch up to you in the next few days.:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skooks, sorry I missed your message. Had finished up my ride and heading on before you had sent the message.

I got in a great 5 hour ride, hit just about every trail in the area. Really enjoyed it, loved the rooty technical sections. Have to say I haven't used my granny gear that much in years. We can't have trails that steep, our rain comes in apocalyptic thunder storms and any trail going straight up hill turns into a giant rut in weeks. Color me jealous.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Skooks, sorry I missed your message. Had finished up my ride and heading on before you had sent the message.

I got in a great 5 hour ride, hit just about every trail in the area. Really enjoyed it, loved the rooty technical sections. Have to say I haven't used my granny gear that much in years. We can't have trails that steep, our rain comes in apocalyptic thunder storms and any trail going straight up hill turns into a giant rut in weeks. Color me jealous.
Sounds like you had a good time riding in the ACFL; they've got trails for days up there. The area around Anacortes is one of the best places to ride in the winter; it's in a rain shadow. BTW, were you able to rent bikes at Skagit Bike shop, if so, what sort of selection did they have?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like you had a good time riding in the ACFL; they've got trails for days up there. The area around Anacortes is one of the best places to ride in the winter; it's in a rain shadow. BTW, were you able to rent bikes at Skagit Bike shop, if so, what sort of selection did they have?
Well I rode most of the trails I had maps for, and that was more than enough. Ran out of water halfway through, figured a little dehydration was worth it. Did rent bikes at Skagit, Specialized FSR XC. Not what I am used to but they worked flawlessly.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Well I rode most of the trails I had maps for, and that was more than enough. Ran out of water halfway through, figured a little dehydration was worth it. Did rent bikes at Skagit, Specialized FSR XC. Not what I am used to but they worked flawlessly.
Our first ride up there was like a near death experience;); some of those trails are steep. The Chamber of Commerce sells a set of three maps for 10 dollars; that's what they charged a few years ago. Glad to hear you found good bikes to rent, I'm sure a few of the shops in Bellingham have rental bikes. For FR/DH bikes, you can rent them at Big Tree Bikes in Wallingford. I"m not sure, but I think Scott at Bike Works in Lake Stevens rents bikes too. Thanks for letting us know about Skagit Bikes.