Quantcast

riding Brianhead soon, which bike to take?

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Hello, Im going to Brianhead in a few weeks for some light DH'ing and trails, I have a Ventana El Chamuco and a new Yeti 575 and cant decide which bike to take. They both are about 6" of travel and use a 5" fork. The Ventana has a Romic coil and the 575 a 5th Air shock. I know the Ventana is a little more at home on a DH trail but the 575 is new and should be a blast! I hate having two bikes!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this seems like another Zark-type gloating thread :devil:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You should put the romic on the 575 and then bring the ventanna.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Originally posted by Jm_
You should put the romic on the 575 and then bring the ventanna.

Hmmm, thought ya didnt like Romic?

Wouldnt fit anyway. These two bikes are just to much a like, plus I dont trust either shock to hold up on a long ride.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd bring the Ventana. It'll be better than the 575 on pretty much all the trails except Jem, I'd think.

Ride "blow hard" as many times as is humanly possible. It's a looong shuttle and perhaps the most fun I've ever had on a trail. Dark Hollow is nice but overrated. Hit up Little Creek, Gooseberry, and Grafton Mesa in Rockville/Springdale.

MD

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Originally posted by MikeD
I'd bring the Ventana. It'll be better than the 575 on pretty much all the trails except Jem, I'd think.

Ride "blow hard" as many times as is humanly possible. It's a looong shuttle and perhaps the most fun I've ever had on a trail. Dark Hollow is nice but overrated. Hit up Little Creek, Gooseberry, and Grafton Mesa in Rockville/Springdale.

MD

Sweetness! Finally some advice that I can and will use! thanks MikeD. I have heard that "Blow Hard" is a great trail so that will be a defenite ride. I have been thinking that the Chamuco would be better as well, longer wheel base and slacker angles.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Actually, a short wheelbase would be better...very techy and twisty stuff...but I think I'd primarily want the stiffest frame I had for a few of those trails, so my vote is still for Ventana.

PM "Darryl" for advice; he's a local out there.

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if yr gonna be shuttling most everything, take the ventana. one trail we didn't get to do was the virgin rim trail (i think that's what it's called) but was supposed to be a corker.

btw, i thought that either fork of the bunker creek trail was better than blowhard. dark hollow was good for one run, but that long fireroad runout was a waste of elevation.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by narlus

btw, i thought that either fork of the bunker creek trail was better than blowhard. dark hollow was good for one run, but that long fireroad runout was a waste of elevation.
Hm, we never did bunker creek...our locals said Blow Hard was better. I'll have to check it out next time for sure.

MD