Quantcast

Riding in Bishop and San Luis Obispo

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
My brother and other room mate are thinking of moving to San Luis Obispo and I was wondering what the riding is like there. I also was curious about the Bishop area, went climbing there this spring and would like to go back. I figured it would be cool to bring a bike and do some riding, or would that be a waste of time?

Dude SLO has some sick DH and what not. Just ask around when u get there. Another spot i used to session was a part hiking/bike trail at the Montana De Oro state park . Sweet descending on a ridge line with great ocean view and smell . Thats a hike a bike tho.
Make the right friends and SLO is legit

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
MdO has great trail riding. No dedicated DH runs, but if you have a 6" bike you will be golden.

You cannot ride bikes on Bishop's peak. Its a big no-no. Madonna mountain has a pretty fun trail, starts from the top and ends up in a residential area. There is also Irish Hills next to Costco. Made for easy xc loops when I was living in that part of town.

The cuesta grade has some fun trails. I always enjoyed riding Shooters on my XC bike, and Morning Glory is great on an agressive 6" rig. If you climb shooters and descend Morning Glory it's a great xc ride if you live near Cal Poly, as the Cuesta grade is accessable from the backside of campus.

There are a lot more places to ride, if you have the right friends, or know where to look. I finally found a couple of the spots a month before I graduated and moved away. Haven't been back to SLO with my bike since I moved.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Agreed, SLO is probably the central/socal MTB capital. Endless XC and the gnarliest DH with everything in between.

As for bishop. I've heard there's a bunch of riding there. TONS of moto in that area. And you are only 45 minutes from mammoth, which is amazing.

Last edited: