Quantcast

Riding in Rochester

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Is there any downhill/freeride/urban, trials and cyclocross in the Rochester area? I'm considering going to school there, and having a decent biking community is kinda important to me. I wont be enrolling till fall of 2005, but I'd figure I'd do some research.

Byron

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
If you mean Rochester, NY and not Rochester, MN, I can answer that.
Urban: There's a regular weekly ride downtown on Thursday nights, plus a couple others that you may/may not be interested in. You can also catch the Fast Ferry to Toronto, though I haven't experienced urban there firsthand.
DH: You'll have some traveling to do. Plattekill's about 4hrs away, Whiteface (Lake Placid) is about the same travel time, maybe longer. If West Mtn. ever opens up (outside Saratoga) again, it's worth a trip.
Trials: Don't know of any comps except for at the annual Raccoon Rally in Allegheny State Park (Salamanca).
Cyclocross: There might be a presence in Rochester, if not, I don't think races are too far away. PM T-Blazer if you want info.
Freeride: Used to have an excellent setup up until earlier this year. Right now it's almost non-existant but we're working on making the freeride scene happen again, better than before.

fanatical

Chimp
May 23, 2004
NJ
sigh...I miss being home.

Byron, what school/s and program/s are you considering? Rochester is a great place to live and there are a lot of cool people that bike there. Tweeks assesment is spot on, I never rode urban so I don't know about it but the rest is true. Its smart doing some research before deciding and good luck. :thumb:

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
For me, having a decent biking scene is important, as I do road, mountain, trials, urban/freeride and starting CX>

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
U of R has some cool riding right on campus - it won't belong before you're ousted, but theres plenty of stairs and ledges. Downtown isn't too bad for urban, and there's some decent trails in the local parks. As far as Tryon, the old freeride playground, goes, I guess it's pretty much off limits now.
I'll admit, I've hardly been riding lately. I've been on my feet running every night, but havn't had time for the wheels.
UofR is a great school, by the way. Several of my friends just started their first terms there. I'm over at RIT myself.

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
Is there anyone in the area that wants to do some freeride or downhill riding? I am at RIT and haven't been able to find any people to go riding with. U of R was fun, untill I was asked to leave.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Ehhh....i dunno of UR is really that awesome.....

UR_urban

Chimp
Sep 28, 2004
Rochester, NY
Yes I do. Freshman.

There is a ride every Thurs. at 8pm starting from Manhattan Square downtown. Have not gone yet, but I imagine I could pick up some good details on local rides.

Just need some bigger tubes for the bigger tires I put on.

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Awesome, I'm a big trials guy, and just started Cyclocross. Hopefully theyll accept me and I'll go.

Thanks for the responses!

CK Foes

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
the great northeast
We've also been having a group urban ride every thurday night in downtown Rochester, if you interested PM me, or we usually meat around 9:30 or so at the helicopter pad

UR_urban

Chimp
Sep 28, 2004
Rochester, NY
I got word from Draco (I forget his real name) that the ride started at 8 in Manhattan square. But he also said he had not gone in a while. Anyways, I plan on going this Thurs.

BillyB0BKing

Chimp
Oct 11, 2004
frozen hell
hey i'm at rit. there are like 10 riders. feel free to im me on ToasterHead219. we ride down town on thursdays. i'm up for a ride any day of the week. theres some awesome ridnig aroudn. there are 3 trials guys 3 cycle cross, some road guys, free ride, you name it. im me and i'll tell you whats goin on

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Is everything in Rochester within biking/walking distance? Or do you guys use public trans?

BillyB0BKing

Chimp
Oct 11, 2004
frozen hell
well u of r is a hell of a lot closer than rit to downtown. if anyone gets the bright idea to ride from rit or u of r to downtown i highly advise taking the river trail. i took roads which didn't have sidewalks or street lamps and had the bright idea of wearing black. the river trail was reallly good (no street lamps though). the stairgaps at u of r kick ass! so if any of u rit guys are headin downtown u might wanna stop there for a bit. oh and if you go... don't go alone. especially at night. rochester is one of the top cities for murder... lol the guys downtown advised me of this and well i'ma listen... mountain creek for the weekend =) c ya

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Hey everyone. I go to RIT (duh), do some road riding, getting into CX now, some dirt jumping, some FR. If anyone wants info about these types of rides (when, where, etc), look me on aim at this same name. The more the merrier.

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Thanks for the response, there dirtjumps around Rochester? I'd be interested in getting into djing.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Been out of the biking scene for a while and just getting back..can you still ride tryon for xc type racing or will the cops break things up pretty quick, i know they had really cracked down before and that is kind of why I got out of things but the allure of it has drawn me back..lemme know if you guys know any other good parks for xc that wont get me a nice fine as a parting gift

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Tryon should be fine for XC nowadays. They've torn down most of the stunts, but I'm pretty sure they're lax about enforcing the no-riding rule. If you have lights, Durand-Eastman kicks some ass. I was just there last night. Some of us are planning on going riding Saturday, let me know if you're interested.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'm at school most of the year, but yeah i'd definately be interested in riding in old ro cha cha sometime if i get a little heads up so I can swing back.