Quantcast

Riding year around

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
The Gondola in Glenwood is letting bikes on it. I was doing lift serviced DH runs in the snow in January. If you do not mind the cold and snow you can ride a lift yearound here.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
The trails are nothing great. The top of the mountain is owned by the tram, then as you get lower down there are a few different landowners and some BLM. Right now you ride a fireroad about halfway then you pick up an old two track that is almost single track now. It is full of loose rocks with lots of rain ruts; it is a challenge to ride at speed. At this point you are on land owned by the mining company that has three mines in the general area. From the top riding all out it takes 5 minutes to get to the bottom. Some other riders in the area have been building some jumps and drops in one of the abandoned mines/quarry, nothing to great right now though.

I keep talking to the tram about building some trails or doing more with bikes but they do not seem real motivated. They only seem to be letting bikes on right now to keep the local riders from constantly bugging them about it. It can be a pain in the butt riding there since the tram cars are small and it is tight getting a bike inside it. They also put the bikes last on the list for getting a ride up. Now that they are getting busy you are lucky to get a free car to ride up in on weekends. It was great in the winter, there where times I think I was the only one there except the employees.

I directed them to Ray's Indoor Mountain Bike Park’s website, telling them they need to build something like that up top on their property. They defiantly got excited and liked it but just keep dragging their feet.

All I know is if we could get permission to build trails down the front face of that mountain it would easily be some of the sickest riding in the state. The whole face is exposed rock, or it is loose rocks with trees. You could have a trail that would descend most the mountain without touching dirt :weee:

For now I just keep riding there being super nice and talking to the employees and guests. Trying to do everything I can to enforce the fact that if they went all out and did things for bikes it would not cause problems. I know the visitors of the caves and restaurant get huge kick out of the fact they see me up top when they are getting on the tram then I am waiting at the bottom when they get off. It is looks of disbelief and then they start asking all kinds of questions. “Are you carrying oxygen?” was the best question:rofl: :rofl: :think: