Quantcast

Rigid Mountain Frame? Any Suggestions?

ramo

Chimp
Aug 7, 2008
Hello all,

I recently had my FS Homegrown lifted out of my home...:( I mourned for a few months and now its water under the bridge! I'm on the hunt for a fast and light rigid mountain bike for mostly road (work and school) but can handle light trail work.

I'm 6ft 4in and have a limit of around $1000 for a complete bike with possible upgrades in the future. I pulled an old Cannondale M500 out of my buddy's bicycle graveyard and fell in love with the speed, climbing and handling of a rigid frame. Surprisingly, the Cannondale fits me really well, which is no easy feat!

It has been a while since I shopped for a new bike and there are sooo many new bikes that my head is spinning.

I would appreciate it if anyone one has any suggestions!

Many thanks!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Your best bet may be finding a bike that you like, buying it, selling the suspensions fork, and purchasing a rigid fork. Most mountain bikes around the $800-$1000 mark will have a suspension fork. You may want to look at used bikes as well.....I have many friends who race full rigid

ramo

Chimp
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks a lot everyone!

I'll be testing out your suggestions this weekend and I'll keep you posted on the what happens.

If anyone else has any recommendations, keep them coming!

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I still love riding a hardtail. Get a nice frame that you'll be pleased with for years regardless of the parts that you hang from it.

Uphiller

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
Agree with r464.
I can recommend a Redline Flight Monocog 29'er. I'm running it SS, and it can handle anything. And, with the steel frame and long fork, it feels like I have 1-1/2" of suspension.