Quantcast

Rigid riders--fork choice?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously, how many of you can notice a difference between different rigid forks? You read people writing reviews of how much better the ride is on their new expensive custom fork, and I just have to wonder. Metal is metal, carbon is carbon, it's all relatively rigid...what could the differences possibly be?

I'm willing to believe something like the Jones or Black Sheep truss forks might feel different. But the rest?? Having the right geometry for your setup seems to be the critical element; other than that, can it really feel that different based on materials/design?

Can you feel a difference? If so, what's your favorite fork? I read about the White Brothers carbon fork being "damping", but how can such a stiff material as a carbon fiber tube set vertically damp out trail roughness?? Is it front/back flex that accomplishes this or something?

MD

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
A friend has the White bros carbon says it's really stiff, I doubt there is a lot of flex difference from one rigid to the next, I would look more to a having the right length for the frame you are installing it on.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The type of steel the fork is made from has an effect on how the fork rides. Also length of the fork blades, how they may or may not taper from crown to lowers, unicrown vs. segmented styles - all impact how the fork feels.

I've ridden a few and here are some of my summary notes:

Surly Instigator - tough fork, but super stiff and harsh (but that's kind of by design)

Surly Karate Monkey fork - tough fork, again super stiff and harsh feeling IMO

Surly 1x1 fork - the best feeling of the Surly rigids that I've tried

Soul Cycles Rigid 29er fork - a tad heavy compared to others, but it rode nice - maybe it has something to do with the curved blades that were on it

On One Superlight Steel fork - segmented and very nice riding - not too harsh, not too flimsy flexy

Redline forks from Monocog Flight and Mono-9 - double butted Sanko Tubing - very nice riding rigid forks - great bang for the buck IMO - also good AC height and offset for 29er riding

I've never ridden a carbon fiber fork for anything longer than a quick dirt demo loop in Providence so I won't comment there.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, yes. Of course there are differences in design that are supposed to change the "feel."

But in terms of what it actually means when you're riding is what I meant. You can talk all you want, but to me rigid seems to be, well, rigid. Never noticed a difference between the 2 or 3 I've owned, aside from geometrical differences.

But I'm notoriously oblivious, even to differences in hardtail frames. Just wondering if anyone had actual, practical feedback of one fork being significantly different than another, or if I'm not too far off in thinking there are a lot of people justifying expensive new rigid forks by talking about a smooth feel or whatever when it's simply rigid.

I have no trouble envisioning differences a fork resisting twisting/holding a better line, but in terms of absorbing impacts or trail chatter? I'm dubious, unless again we're discussing a really radical design.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
SNIP...But I'm notoriously oblivious, even to differences in hardtail frames...SNIP
Well, not to be a wise ass, but if you are oblivious then why do you care? just because you are insensitive to the changes, doesn't mean others are.

SNIP...Just wondering if anyone had actual, practical feedback of one fork being significantly different than another,...SNIP
Again, really not trying to be a dick, but i think MMcG just did this for you.

Personally, I notice a very big difference in rigid forks, but I think I am farily well attuned to the differences. However, if you, I or anyone goes from a 5" travel fork to a rigid fork, every & any rigid fork is gonna feel...rigid.

EDIT:

Big bumps: Rigid forks force you to absorb the big stuff. It makes you much smoother.

Chatter: A supple fork will take care of a lot of low amplitude / high frequency bumps.

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well, yes. Of course there are differences in design that are supposed to change the "feel."

But in terms of what it actually means when you're riding is what I meant. You can talk all you want, but to me rigid seems to be, well, rigid. Never noticed a difference between the 2 or 3 I've owned, aside from geometrical differences.

But I'm notoriously oblivious, even to differences in hardtail frames. Just wondering if anyone had actual, practical feedback of one fork being significantly different than another, or if I'm not too far off in thinking there are a lot of people justifying expensive new rigid forks by talking about a smooth feel or whatever when it's simply rigid.
The differences between the Surly Karate Monkey and the other 29er forks I've used has been definitely noticeable. By a wide margin. The difference between the On One and the Redline forks - not so much. But both of those forks were way nicer to ride than the Surly in terms of how "compliant" they are compared to the "harshness" of the Surly fork.

Does that help/make sense?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Been thinking of getting a vicious cycles rigid for the ewr but have not heard anything about them.

Universal is selling 1x1 frame and fork for 277, nearly the price of a vicious fork.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, not to be a wise ass, but if you are oblivious then why do you care? just because you are insensitive to the changes, doesn't mean others are.
Was just wondering if it was me, and what some other experienced riders thought. Sue me; I have a new rigid on the way and was killing some time on the Internet waiting for some info to come back from a hotel. Reading all the reviews of various rigids had me curious as to what people who hadn't bothered to post a review might think.

Again, really not trying to be a dick, but i think MMcG just did this for you.
Well, yeah, but that was edited in after his posting and my reply.

I am riding a rigid now myself. Using a Salsa cromoto. Dig it. Just didn't feel that much different than, well, rigid to me. Appreciate everyone's input for sure.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I have a haro mary ss. I have used the on one carbon fork and the stock fork. I feel that the steel fork carries the vibrations and gives a harsher ride than carbon. I have actually seen the carbon flexing on my on one fork. If I boogie through a rock garden the fork has quite a bit of flex.