Quantcast

rim/tire tight fit -causing probs

K

kitchenware

I've got these Sun Single Track rims and they're a pain in the arse to get a tire bead on. My problem is, when I do get the tire on, it's all wobbly and impossible to straighten out. I can put the same tires on other rims I have and they mount up just fine and spin without a wobble. WTF is up? The tires I'm using are various WTB. Are they known to fit tight or what? It's the only brand I've ever used so I don't really know.
I've tried letting the air nearly all out and trying to straighten them up with no luck.

Have I confused anyone?

~kw

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
I have Single Tracks also but haven't had to change a tire yet. Hopefully it won't be too hard:(. They can't be much harder than the Azonic rims I had.

To your question, I had some wobble in my tire and the guys at a local shop told me to put some furniture polish on the tire where it meets the rim and inflate the tire to a high pressure, and it worked.

K

kitchenware

Excellent idea, I'll give that a try today.

My 2.4 on the rear was so far out that it would rub on one side and be over a half an inch from the stay when it rotated around for the other side. :rolleyes:

thanks!

~kw

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
A few things:

1. There is not a rim in existence to which it is harder to mount a tire than the Azonic Butcher.

2. Getting tires on and off the Singletracks, like any other DH rim (DH rims are bult a little bit extra-wide to keep the bead more firmly in contact with the rim) is to work one side on (not too hard, use one lever if you have to), put the slightly inflated tube in, and work that second side around until you have the final (and most difficult) 8 or 9 inch section left. Now work around the tire again, pushing the bead of both sides into the *middle* of the rim. The bead should go on a bit easier if you...

3. Use the pad on your palm below the thumb of your dominant hand to roll the bead on whilst holding the other end of the difficult part (keep it from slipping off more)

4. Use one tire lever if you have to, and make sure it's plastic. You'll kill rims, tubes, and tires with anything metal.

5. Keeping the bead warm helps (makes rubber softer, sometimes will allow bead to stretch)

Good luck!