Quantcast

Rim width

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
2.4 DHR II on 30 mm internal width rim. Me likey so far.
:stupid: I have been running this setup in my rear wheel since a couple of months ago (the HR2 was in my front wheel before). The Vittoria Goma 2.4 I placed in the front sits squarer than it would in a narrower rim, which leads to the cornering knobs engaging earlier and reducing the amount of oh shit moments derived from going too hard into turns, when compared to the HR2 in the front.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I’ve tried many combos of tires and rim widths, taken measurements on even more than what I’ve ridden, and I think most people are over complicating this topic.

The main take away from my opinion is that the rim width should be chosen to get the tire profile you want, specifically the lean angle of which the side knobs engage.

That obviously is largely influenced by what tires you’re running, and then your terrain and riding preferences. For example, I like the Maxxis 2.3 DHF/Aggressor combo, and have run it mostly on i30 rims, which engages the side knobs a little too early imo, and works better with i25 rims. However, the 2.5 DHF almost has the opposite problem on an i30 rim, and probably works better on i35.

Choose your rim width based on what tires you want to optimize for, your terrain, and riding. At GG, we spec i30 by default as it is the most universal these days.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I’ve tried many combos of tires and rim widths, taken measurements on even more than what I’ve ridden, and I think most people are over complicating this topic.

The main take away from my opinion is that the rim width should be chosen to get the tire profile you want, specifically the lean angle of which the side knobs engage.

That obviously is largely influenced by what tires you’re running, and then your terrain and riding preferences. For example, I like the Maxxis 2.3 DHF/Aggressor combo, and have run it mostly on i30 rims, which engages the side knobs a little too early imo, and works better with i25 rims. However, the 2.5 DHF almost has the opposite problem on an i30 rim, and probably works better on i35.

Choose your rim width based on what tires you want to optimize for, your terrain, and riding. At GG, we spec i30 by default as it is the most universal these days.
I like the DHF on 30i but when I ride them I am looking for the most speed. With 30i I can see that the side knobs aren't touching when running straight by the dust on the treads. But on trails with less lean angle I prefer the DHR2 2.4 and am still looking for a tire that works better for narrower trails.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
he's already said he likes to slide around on the rear wheel... DHF SS + 38psi + mud = mucho slido.

can't say he isn't consistent.
Nah... I have an OG 26x2.35 DHF DH 3C on the back of the session.
ie. kinda small volume (for ref I run the front tubed 2.5" DHF at 32psi)
I haven't ridden it in mud once this year. just dust.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I like the DHF on 30i but when I ride them I am looking for the most speed. With 30i I can see that the side knobs aren't touching when running straight by the dust on the treads. But on trails with less lean angle I prefer the DHR2 2.4 and am still looking for a tire that works better for narrower trails.
Not sure which DHF you’re talking about, and the size makes a big difference. However, yeah, the DHR2 works at a lower lean angle than the DHF, all other variables equal. That’s the main reason that tire is easier to ride than the DHF.
For narrow trails that don’t allow much lean angle, 2.3 DHR2/SS combo might work well. Those are both pretty square tires.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Not sure which DHF you’re talking about, and the size makes a big difference. However, yeah, the DHR2 works at a lower lean angle than the DHF, all other variables equal. That’s the main reason that tire is easier to ride than the DHF.
For narrow trails that don’t allow much lean angle, 2.3 DHR2/SS combo might work well. Those are both pretty square tires.
Oops 2.5 on an 30i

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody got a website that sells the Volar 3.0 rims?
My google-fu sucks at the moment, can't even find a price.
Lots of old Alex rims for sale, 24" Camo anybody?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Anybody got a website that sells the Volar 3.0 rims?
My google-fu sucks at the moment, can't even find a price.
Lots of old Alex rims for sale, 24" Camo anybody?
Have you tried the usual German sites? (Bike24, bike-discount, etc) Even when I sourced them locally, I used those sites when doing my pre-purchase research.

EDIT: Gotcha a provider from Canuckistan!!!

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/rims/rim275-volar3-32h.html

You'll have to buy from an ebike company though :D

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I won't catch anything from buying from an E-bike site right? Right?? RIGHT???
Come on man, ya gotta back me up here, really don't want teh E-bolaids. :eek:

Edit: No 26, guess I gotta e-mails zem, cause I need one of each.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
... and from all of what I have read / heard, the 30mm internal seems to be the sweet spot.
... hence my request for 30mm nominal size recommendations.
You bozos seem to re-enforce / collaborate that thought when you read through all your chirping.

So, what about symmetric vs asymmetric?
The whole even tension seems to make more sense regarding wheel stability as opposed to uneven stresses on both spokes and rim.
For my enduro and DH bikes I think 30mm is the sweet spot but I'll use rims from 28-32. For my first 29er I just built up asym rims since the higher NDS tension makes sense.
Though I'm on all carbon now, the last alloy rims I had were Spank 28mm and I thought they were good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
OK I'll bite, what's an asymmetrical rim?
Something that the industry came up with to even out spoke tension without requiring you to change hubs and frames.

Obviously, such a product is destined for failure.

Here are mine that I built up recently:

IMG_5256s.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've shared this in a few places, but recently I got a 2.3 DHF with the idea that I'd put it on the front as a "not huge, but adequate" front tire for my AM bike. Riding this on my I30 rim though, something was wrong. I wasn't able to roll it onto edge, I'd try to turn, but the bike just wouldn't do it. It was like riding a 29er or fatbike all of a sudden, where you are forced to take a wider arc. It wasn't so much that it felt like there was "nothing" after a certain angle, but it felt like there was resistance leading up to a certain angle, and then it would wash out after, but you never got the "bite" while leaning.

Put it back on the rear and it's brilliant, except for the massive rolling resistance. I'm not sure what these are good for at 2.3", maybe my experience was just a one-off, but I'd think I30 is a pretty middle-of-the-road size that would work with a lot, and it does for the most part IMO. Thinking back in the past though, I've always gone with a 2.5 DHF up front, even if it slowed me down a little bit. That seemed to work well regardless of the rim-size, from stuff around 22 to 30 or more.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Being smaller volume you DID up the tyre pressure from what you'd run a 2.5 at?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I've shared this in a few places, but recently I got a 2.3 DHF with the idea that I'd put it on the front as a "not huge, but adequate" front tire for my AM bike. Riding this on my I30 rim though, something was wrong. I wasn't able to roll it onto edge, I'd try to turn, but the bike just wouldn't do it. It was like riding a 29er or fatbike all of a sudden, where you are forced to take a wider arc. It wasn't so much that it felt like there was "nothing" after a certain angle, but it felt like there was resistance leading up to a certain angle, and then it would wash out after, but you never got the "bite" while leaning.

Put it back on the rear and it's brilliant, except for the massive rolling resistance. I'm not sure what these are good for at 2.3", maybe my experience was just a one-off, but I'd think I30 is a pretty middle-of-the-road size that would work with a lot, and it does for the most part IMO. Thinking back in the past though, I've always gone with a 2.5 DHF up front, even if it slowed me down a little bit. That seemed to work well regardless of the rim-size, from stuff around 22 to 30 or more.
I run the 2.3 minions on my 25i rims and it's great but on the 30i its already on the side knobs going strait. And like you experienced washes out if leaned over in my experience.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I run the 2.3 minions on my 25i rims and it's great but on the 30i its already on the side knobs going strait. And like you experienced washes out if leaned over in my experience.
DHF, DHR2, or SS? As @mtg noted, the DHF is the most round, followed by the DHR2. The SS is pretty damn square.

I tried 30mm rims for my last wheel build. I'm running a 2.5 DHF front, 2.3 DHF rear. I like that setup, but I wouldn't want wider rims, or to run that 2.3 DHF as a front tire on a rim that wide.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
DHF, DHR2, or SS? As @mtg noted, the DHF is the most round, followed by the DHR2. The SS is pretty damn square.

I tried 30mm rims for my last wheel build. I'm running a 2.5 DHF front, 2.3 DHF rear. I like that setup, but I wouldn't want wider rims, or to run that 2.3 DHF as a front tire on a rim that wide.
DHR2 & DHF 2.3 on 25i and 2.4/2.5 on 30i the SS is too square on even 25i IMHO.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
We need rim narrowing strips for tires that are too square.
Interesting comment. would an old-school, split tube, ghetto tubeless setup bring in the tire sidewall enough to make a difference?
Toob on either side might reduce the ID by 4mm or so?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I thought squaring off the tire was the whole point of running a wide rim. It’s interesting to hear that there is a consensus that squaring off has an upper limit, which makes sense of course.

It always seemed like a weird forumguy aesthetic determination to me... MTB tires need to look square, like the dick cepek mud terrains on my F150.

The DHF worked pretty well for the previous 10+ years with its round profile on a 25mm rim.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The DHF worked pretty well for the previous 10+ years with its round profile on a 25mm rim.
They were designed for 21-25mm rims I think. So the profile should be about right on traditional rim widths.

The new WT casings are designed for >30mm rims.

Gonna throw a DHF 2.5 WT on my 25mm rims and see how it goes. I'm currently switching between 2.3 DHF and 2.35 MM when things get steeper but I still want more traction in some places so I'm gonna see how the 2.5 works on a narrow rim. Will report back.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
They were designed for 21-25mm rims I think. So the profile should be about right on traditional rim widths.

The new WT casings are designed for >30mm rims.

Gonna throw a DHF 2.5 WT on my 25mm rims and see how it goes. I'm currently switching between 2.3 DHF and 2.35 MM when things get steeper but I still want more traction in some places so I'm gonna see how the 2.5 works on a narrow rim. Will report back.
Yes please.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yes please.
Can confirm from various test rides that 27.5 WT 2.5 DHF/DHRII combo on 30mm rims is the tits. Grip for days without a huge rolling resistance penalty.

Unfortunately I went for the MaxxGrip compound and was previously running the MaxxTerra so I won't be able to do a true apples to apples comparison to the 2.3 as the compound should theoreticly give me more traction and slower rolling right off the bat.

A few other RM members seemed to think the WT DHF were fine on a non-wide rim