Quantcast

Rim width

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Prefer 2.4 WT minion on i25 up front, and 2.3 on i25 for the rear tire.

Makes the bike nice and loose, which I like. No trouble finding the corner knobs.

Takeaway: bike setup is personal to each rider and the terrain they ride.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Prefer 2.4 WT minion on i25 up front, and 2.3 on i25 for the rear tire.

Makes the bike nice and loose, which I like. No trouble finding the corner knobs.

Takeaway: bike setup is personal to each rider and the terrain they ride.
assuming the DHR2 EXO up front?

what makes the bike nice and loose?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Fair point, though I don’t believe the WT is generally used for DH racing, regardless of rim width.

Poster ‘Size may have more info on that.

They were designed for 21-25mm rims I think. So the profile should be about right on traditional rim widths.

The new WT casings are designed for >30mm rims.

Gonna throw a DHF 2.5 WT on my 25mm rims and see how it goes. I'm currently switching between 2.3 DHF and 2.35 MM when things get steeper but I still want more traction in some places so I'm gonna see how the 2.5 works on a narrow rim. Will report back.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
assuming the DHR2 EXO up front?

what makes the bike nice and loose?
yes, DHR2 exo.

my point was that a 25mm rim gives a little more lean, therefore a bit bigger drift zone. it is a subtle but noticeable difference from these tires at i30mm. For this rider, and the terrain I ride, i25 with 2.4 WT tires was preferred. I went from i25 to i30 because #trend and went right back to i25.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Fair point, though I don’t believe the WT is generally used for DH racing, regardless of rim width.
Poster ‘Size may have more info on that.
No one is racing on rims bigger than 30 so there's no need.
a quick sampling (6 different rims on recent WC podium bikes) shows an average of 28mm internal, ranging from 25mm (ex471) to 31mm (lg1 race). no WT tires are being used.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
a quick sampling (6 different rims on recent WC podium bikes) shows an average of 28mm internal, ranging from 25mm (ex471) to 31mm (lg1 race). no WT tires are being used.
Do you mean no WT tires in your 6 item sample, or no WT tires at all? I Ass-Guy you mean just the sample of 6....
....'Cause Maxxis site says the Ass-Guy is only available in WT?

Any :monkey: ridden an Assagi yet? (...see what I didn't do there...:D )

ps - It's like the write themselves - thanks Greg!!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Do you mean no WT tires in your 6 item sample, or no WT tires at all? I Ass-Guy you mean just the sample of 6....
....'Cause Maxxis site says the Ass-Guy is only available in WT?
i meant no WT at all. i was wrong. i saw that tire, knew i'd never run it and didn't do any research on it.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well Hell.

No Alex Volar 3.0 in stock at the distro.
No more coming in.
As well, the fuckers didn't even bring the 26" into Canukistan .:shakefist:

I think I will end up with Stans on the DH bike, they are easy to source, if a bit pricey (2+ x the Alex cost each)

I also am finally done with the 819's I have on a trailbike.
This can also be run with a 27.5 front (original 26/27.5 Mattoc fork) which I am considering.

So now thinking another set of 26/27.5 30mm id rimz.

...and my google fu still sucks trying to find the Alex rims which would work great for both trail and dh bikes especially when I can do both bikes for less than the cost of one pair of Stan's...

:(

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well Hell.

No Alex Volar 3.0 in stock at the distro.
No more coming in.
As well, the fuckers didn't even bring the 26" into Canukistan .:shakefist:

I think I will end up with Stans on the DH bike, they are easy to source, if a bit pricey (2+ x the Alex cost each)

I also am finally done with the 819's I have on a trailbike.
This can also be run with a 27.5 front (original 26/27.5 Mattoc fork) which I am considering.

So now thinking another set of 26/27.5 30mm id rimz.

...and my google fu still sucks trying to find the Alex rims which would work great for both trail and dh bikes especially when I can do both bikes for less than the cost of one pair of Stan's...

:(
First world problems are a biatch, ain't them? :D

Seriously, try to find the Alex MD30. Only a slight weight penalty over the Volar, identical inner width, cheaper and stronger.

EDIT: Another good alternative is the Octane One Solar Pro rim, still available in 26 inches and with 29mm of inner width:

https://26bikes.com/shop/parts/rims-and-rim-tapes/dirt-street/prod/oo-solar-pro-17

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
First world problems are a biatch, ain't them? :D

Seriously, try to find the Alex MD30. Only a slight weight penalty over the Volar, identical inner width, cheaper and stronger.

EDIT: Another good alternative is the Octane One Solar Pro rim, still available in 26 inches and with 29mm of inner width:

https://26bikes.com/shop/parts/rims-and-rim-tapes/dirt-street/prod/oo-solar-pro-17
Third world options, hehe. Here we have "Vision" wide rims (and many others by Chinese/Taiwanese companies).

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I thought squaring off the tire was the whole point of running a wide rim.
The main point of running a wider rim is to have a rim width/bead width that is more proportional/appropriate to tread width/contact patch.

When we started putting wider and taller tires on XC rims, they got squirmy. Too much disagreement between where the contact patch was pointed and where the rim was pointed. Plus pinch flats.

It got a little carried away with 3.0 Gozzoladi and Sun Double Wides (still have both).

I'm still not really sure what the WT is supposed to do.@rockofullr those were on the bike you rode at Demo and Sea Otter, 2.5 WT High rollers fr and rr. If I recall, you weren't a big fan of the front??? But that got better after DVO worked on the fork? Can't remember.

I had 2.5 WT High Roller fr and 2.5 WT DHR rr. I remember not having the most confidence initially, but I think that was as much getting used to Cali hardpack with dust on top.

It seems my fastest, best handling bikes are still on 2.3 High roller/DHR combo. I30 rims.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody still have the contact info for Mike @ Spank?

The Vibrocore 350 would be ideal, however they only make the 26 available to their sponsored riders, ie slope guys.
Wonder if I could talk him into letting me buy 3. 2 rears and a spare. Add a couple of 27.5 up front and I would be good to go and a very happy camper, at least until I figure out what I am going to do for two new non-micro sized wheelz bikes.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For the DH bike, Realistically I'm not going to be able to talk myself into a set of TeamIssue only rims, so I'm thinking it is between Spank Spike Race 33 or Stanley NoTubes Flow Mk3.

Rim................................Flow Mk.3.......Spike Race33
Hole...............................32....................32
Width - external...........32.3mm..........33mm
Width - internal............29mm.............28mm
Height...........................17.6mm...........22mm
Material........................6069.................Custom 6 series
Weight - 26...................459gm..............480gm
Weight - 27.5................480gm..............500gm
Cost...............................93.79ea............86.39ea (Canukistani funds)

I'm leaning toward the Spanks, not sure why, but I can get them with sweet yellow lettering to not match the other various yellow / gold / golden-orange bits and bobs on teh bike. :weee:

Thoughts ? Which way would you jump...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For the DH bike, Realistically I'm not going to be able to talk myself into a set of TeamIssue only rims, so I'm thinking it is between Spank Spike Race 33 or Stanley NoTubes Flow Mk3.

Rim................................Flow Mk.3.......Spike Race33
Hole...............................32....................32
Width - external...........32.3mm..........33mm
Width - internal............29mm.............28mm
Height...........................17.6mm...........22mm
Material........................6069.................Custom 6 series
Weight - 26...................459gm..............480gm
Weight - 27.5................480gm..............500gm
Cost...............................93.79ea............86.39ea (Canukistani funds)

I'm leaning toward the Spanks, not sure why, but I can get them with sweet yellow lettering to not match the other various yellow / gold / golden-orange bits and bobs on teh bike. :weee:

Thoughts ? Which way would you jump...
Spank, if only for sidewall width. Spike is (33-28)/2=2.5mm thick. Flow is (32.3-29)/2=1.65mm thick.

However, IME, the other big consideration in Spank vs Stans is that Stans will seal a non-tubeless tire tubeless, while the Spanks won't. I used to run an OG DH-casing Highroller on my old school Flow, but when I tried to run the same tire tubeless on my Spanks it was a no-go.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Spank, if only for sidewall width. Spike is (33-28)/2=2.5mm thick. Flow is (32.3-29)/2=1.65mm thick.

However, IME, the other big consideration in Spank vs Stans is that Stans will seal a non-tubeless tire tubeless, while the Spanks won't. I used to run an OG DH-casing Highroller on my old school Flow, but when I tried to run the same tire tubeless on my Spanks it was a no-go.
That was basically the only deciding factor why I was thinking Spank - I have "heard of" people guillotining tires on pinching due to the narrow rim profile on Stans.... The toobless thing does not really worry me. Anything I'm going to run is TL ready....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Trying to setup tubeless on the spank race28 wheelset I put on my wife's DH bike was too much effort. I gave up and she used tubes for a couple of seasons. This year I picked her up a set of DT Swiss FR 1950's, 240 hubs and the 570 rims setup tubeless easily.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Fratelli industries is Spank. Same material, different rim design?
Often wondered. They are the only other company to use the mythical "Dynamal" alloy that I have seen.

The new stuff looks interesting. NS have always been a bit porky, so have not looked very closely. I had them in the same boat as Alex and Sun with regard to old school weights...but then Spank was known for the same thing for years as well. Things be changing - Ain't material science a wonderful thing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Often wondered. They are the only other company to use the mythical "Dynamal" alloy that I have seen.
"According to a spokesman the start in rims was out of frustration with its suppliers that instead of the required 6061 alloy frequently delivered the rims in 6005 quality."
Maybe that is the magic alloy?

I have only ever had Spanky Oozy rims 4-5 years ago and I hated them, used them for a few weeks and swapped to Flow EXs.
The Flows did slice their way through a Fat Albert pretty easily, however, I'm pretty sure you could have sliced those things open with a plastic spork.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm still not really sure what the WT is supposed to do.@rockofullr those were on the bike you rode at Demo and Sea Otter, 2.5 WT High rollers fr and rr. If I recall, you weren't a big fan of the front??? But that got better after DVO worked on the fork? Can't remember.
The WT is a larger casing designed to keep the tire from becoming too square on wide rims (30mm - 40mm). An overly square profile will roll slower since more tire is touching the ground on average. The square profile will also make the bike feel like it resists leaning into corners.

My issue with the HRII on the front doesn't have anything to do with the WT casing. I just don't like the High Roller II as a front tire. It doesn't have quite the cornering traction that a DHF or DHR or even a MM has. I don't mind the HRII as a rear tire when I want a little less rolling resistance than a minion. But in general I'm too lazy to change tires constantly so I just leave the old dependable DHF/DHR combo mounted.

It seems my fastest, best handling bikes are still on 2.3 High roller/DHR combo. I30 rims.
Hot tip, if you're running that HRII on the front you should try swapping them front and rear (DHR up front, HR out back). You'll probably end up with better cornering traction and lower rolling resistance.