Quantcast

Ringwood in New Jersey - any good?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've been exchanging some emails with a Jamis sales rep and he asked when I might be coming down to Ringwood - so I figured I'd ask here - what's Ringwood like?

Any good?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ringwood is really good if you know where and what order to ride it in. We just had a great ride from Skyline Drive to Ringwood and back. Let me know when you are going and I'll tag along if I'm free.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't know if I can afford to get down there just to ride my bike - but I was curious to know what the trails are like.

Any links to photos?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think that when you bought your frame a lot of folks already were seeing the demise of the company - perhaps that's why you guys crappy customer support (and hey it isn't like they were/are the only ones either right?)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I got my 2Step in 2001 or 2002, a few years before they broke up. I know someone who has measured a few of their Minuteman HT at a shop and they can't even get that right - huge variation in geometry.

Some people in that thread have seen literally hundreds of them...they just sucked.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay Tony - the only way I'd get down there I think is if it were connected with a work visit somehow. I wonder how far the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is from Ringwood????? :think:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
One of the largest private foundations funding healthcare in America.

But yeah there is a bunch of medical stuff named after RWJ in New Jersey.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ringwood is a great place to ride. A lot of times when people talk about Ringwood, they really mean Ramapo/Skyline drive. I've ridden at both places a bunch of times and both are good. I live about 15 minutes from Skyline.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
wow. Ringwood NJ. that brings back some seriously old school memories for me. my first xc mtb race back in 95. after the race, my friends and i went out for a ride (yeah. i was in stupid good shape back then to race xc then want to ride more afterwards lol) we got sooooo fricken lost on that ride, we popped up out of the woods back in NY. then on the way back, got even more lost to the point where we completely lost sight of the single track we were on. it was an epic ride/hike through the woods of NJ that i'll never forget!!!!

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
So I've riden Ringwood 7 times this year so far.I go with 2 guys who claim to know this place.One has been going for a year with the other one who lives there and has been riding it for a few years. We started out at lot c around 6pm.So we found this trail that goes all the way into NY,so we decided to take it but in the other direction staying in NJ and of course got lost as it started to get dark.We had a map and luckily by default I brought my light which is not a HID it's just a 1 watt LED that runs on 4 aa batteries.We were at the top of everything on the yellow/white trail and it's getting dark.So at the bottom we found the cannonball but we were very far from were we needed to be.So we found the red trail and were walking at this point cause it's almost completely black and we stumbled on a part of the trail with small car sized rocks taking the place of the dirt making it imposible to ride or even see the trail.We walked for 2.5 hours (by my direction cause apparently the guy who has been here 7 times is the only one who can get us out of here) and we finally popped out on a trail that we all knew at the top of a nice downhill (red) by the school.PS- I recommend you try this hill at night with a light.We took that trail to the road and the road to the lot. I got in my car at 10:45.It was by far the most epic journey of the year,I can't wait to do it again.I love Ringwood and not because I almost slept there.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
Holy cow I saw those pics and said thats syadasti... I thought you died or something, I guess you just went to ridemonkey instead.

Jun 13, 2007
Israel
thanks for your quick answer,i have another question i own a cannondale rush 4000 and tend to be more on the single trek and a little down hill-not a pro yet like most of you.is ringwood a good place for me to start,maybe you know of a place closer to Englewood ?
thanks again

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
thanks for your quick answer,i have another question i own a cannondale rush 4000 and tend to be more on the single trek and a little down hill-not a pro yet like most of you.is ringwood a good place for me to start,maybe you know of a place closer to Englewood ?
thanks again
Ringwood is a great place you just have to find the right trails. And honastly go to Diablo I'm there every weekend and it just is a great place. Look for my truck(check my avitar) and I ride a brown Giant Faith 2...

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
Skyline drive there is a lower lot and an upper lot upper lot is better. Or you can go to the park by the 2 eagles and there is lots a,b,and c lot c is the best for closness to the trails.

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
Mikey, it's in Vernon,NJ up rt 23N. From Englewood it's probably an hour or so. Take 23 N past West Milford and Oak Ridge resevoir take the Highland Lake/ Vernon rt 515 exit (you'll see a sign for mountain creek resort) make a right go 8.5 miles and at the bootom of the hill there is a Lukoil gas station make a left that's rt 94. It's about a mile and a half down on the left. But parking is on the right across the street,park by the wooden fence (don't worry about where the lot attendents tell you to go) they're for the water park folk. Look for my truck, I ride a brown Giant Faith 2 red gloves and black and red helmet...

PS:you can always pm me if you want to meet up...

PSS: this weekend there is a bikini contest for miss america or something at the waterpark and Diablo is having the Domination race...