Quantcast

Road 12 and 24 hours

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
just wondering if anyone know if road 12 and 24 hour events are as popular as they are in mountain biking, i have never heard of one here in australia but we are pretty lost and behind the times down here (cept in DH)

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
I know of a hairshirt crowd called 'Randonneurs'. That's close to marathon riding.

300km, 400km, and 600km in one sitting? Yeouch!:monkey:

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
The time trials orgainsers in the UK run 12 and 24hour races. sound mind (and other bits) numbing to me, but I may give a 12 a go, as if I can stand doing that, then gettting out on yet another solo lap at 4 am won't seem so bad!

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Originally posted by The Toninator
i dont know. my coach tried to set a record for distance for 24 hour period on a track. He couldnt feel his dingding for 6 months afterward
Not really an anatomical concern for me.... :)

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
I realize that. I have done looong stretches on the bike though--over 12 hours at a time. With a good saddle and lots of re-positioning I have had no problems. Plus the terrain always has lots of hills and rollers so I was out of the saddle a lot too.
:)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Wow 12 hours is a long time
i've recently switched to training on the road and have a hard time remember to stand and let the blood flow. In mtbing i have to stand a lot so i've had to remind myself to stand every 30 minutes or so when i switch over.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
My b/f has also done long rides and has not experienced numbness or tingling, but he makes a point of changing position often, getting out of the saddle, etc.
Both of us have found our feet are the most likely to experience discomfort.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by monkeywench
My b/f has also done long rides and has not experienced numbness or tingling, but he makes a point of changing position often, getting out of the saddle, etc.
Both of us have found our feet are the most likely to experience discomfort.
well it was really weird and really scary and i want to cry and go to the hopitial. I've been riding for more than 12 years and never had a problem. I was doing a 62mile ride and thought i got left by my group so i tucked in and hammered (for me 20/21 avg is hammering solo) and 40 miles had ticked by before i knew it. I dont think i got out of the saddle once. Nothing went numb but the pain was unbarable. I got off at a reststop and stood and stretched for a little and and everything returned to normal.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
I've been on 14+ hr. double centuries before. It becomes a mental thing at some point on those rides. A road 12 or 24 hr. event sounds really appealing but I've not heard about one. The closest thing is the Los Angles Double (has another name tho... Grand Double maybe...not sure) which offers a 300 and 400 mile option; the latter being for ppl in training for RAAM I imagine. I'd do the 300 if I had a buddy to talk and draft with and a humongous base of training in my legs. The only time I ever get numb is on the rollers. My feet on the other hand suffer badly in the heat. Maybe it's the Sidis... not sure.