Quantcast

road bike, should or shouldn't I

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
ive been on and off about getting one for about a year or two now and i still cant decide if i want one. so i guess i'm asking you guys to convince me to get one or not to get one. what would you guys do get one or dont get one?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had one long time ago and I hated that crappy no name steel frame and the gearing. Fast forward almost 20 years and I have had a road bike for two years now and really like it. I am not sure I would ride it as much as I do if I had easy access to trail rides but living in NYC right next to a park its been perfect and a lot of fun. Did some long rides last year which was a fun experience too.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
go for it. when the trails are wet or snowy its great to have one. if you have hills in your area you can really get going on the downhills. going with other people, even one other person, makes it a lot less boring.

i'm actually thinking about a cross bike for this year for dual duty (buff singletrack and road rides).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You probably won't get too many people saying no in the road bike forum...

I'm a fan of riding all kinds of bikes. Each little niche has something different to offer and you will be a more rounded and skilled rider if you switch it up from time to time.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Most of my road riding is done in the spring. It sucks when you have a warm day- but the trails are still junk due to mud and snow. IF I was in the market I would probably look into a cross bike. Wider tires for the crappy roads we have around these parts and the ability to hop on and off dirt is pretty appealing....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
...the ability to hop on and off dirt is pretty appealing....
You can ride a lot more dirt on road bikes than most people are willing to admit...I ride mellow singletrack and dirt paths pretty often on my road bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Friends of mine convinced me to ride with them. Their idea of a ride is 20 miler with multiple smoke and drink breaks.

Still, it has got me motivated to finally install the compact crankset and I am starting 2 hours early to get a more serious workout in before I join them.

But it is all riding and it is all good.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Whenever I'm feeling sluggish on the mtn bike I go out for a longish road ride. The consistent spinning really energizes my legs and climbs aren't so painful anymore.