Quantcast

Road bike:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I purchased the Scott Speedster50S today. Got a screaming deal. All Sora level, but the frame and fork are quite nice. Now it started raining again so I cant go ride it. :plthumbsdown:

I went and visited 4 shops today.
Schwinn
Masi
Trek
Specialized
Cannondale
Giant
Felt
Scott

Were all the brands I was considering. This was absolutely the best deal. Treks are stupid expensive for no apparent reason.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Both the fork & seatpost are carbon, and I got a computer and bottle cage tossed in for free. It's an '06 but brand new.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sora works fine. Components aren't nearly as import on a road bike. You will shift and brake less. Is that a triple or compact?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's a triple but with what I wanted to spend there wasnt really many options other than SS or fixie. Haha.

I assume the Sora will be fine. I have no desire to have a fancy road bike. I picked up the Hyundai instead of the Porche and Im totally fine with that.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I assume the Sora will be fine. I have no desire to have a fancy road bike. I picked up the Hyundai instead of the Porche and Im totally fine with that.
I did the same thing a couple of years ago and have been happy with my decision. I'm upgrading some stuff now and swapping to a cross frame, but that was more because I want off-road options than that I didn't enjoy riding the bike.

Sora's good to get started on. It forces you to stay on the hoods to shift and not try to ride the drops too much.

Enjoy!!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I did the same thing a couple of years ago and have been happy with my decision. I'm upgrading some stuff now and swapping to a cross frame, but that was more because I want off-road options than that I didn't enjoy riding the bike.

Sora's good to get started on. It forces you to stay on the hoods to shift and not try to ride the drops too much.

Enjoy!!
That sound exciting. :shocked:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to be nervous on the road bike, after a little saddle time I can rail corners. There are some cool corkscrew type downhills around you can really get the bike leaned over.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I just made the same plunge last week. Got a Specialized Roubaix to get some road time in, get some fat off.

Thankfully, I am retaining my fat modesty and riding with baggies still over my bike shorts, no one wants to see the man sausage like that.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
my roadie has sora too, who cares - it works and its the legs that get you to the top of the hill, not expensive components
I dont care if its Sora. I dont care if its old SIS off a wal mart-er. Im going to ride teh wheels off it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hmm...
Not yet. I can barely ride the thing in all honesty. Hillbilly traffic frightens me. Good thing is a live in a heavy roadie area (as far as Nashville goes) and there is a big park with lots of twisty roads and 15mph speed limits and also Natchez Trace pkwy. which is a big roadie destination. After I get comfortable with it all maybe I'll start doing some group rides.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmm...
Not yet. I can barely ride the thing in all honesty. Hillbilly traffic frightens me. Good thing is a live in a heavy roadie area (as far as Nashville goes) and there is a big park with lots of twisty roads and 15mph speed limits and also Natchez Trace pkwy. which is a big roadie destination. After I get comfortable with it all maybe I'll start doing some group rides.
I put several thousand miles on my road bike a year and I still won't just ride with random roadie group rides. Some of those folks are dangerous. I'll generally only ride with groups of people I have confidence in.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Were all the brands I was considering. This was absolutely the best deal. Treks are stupid expensive for no apparent reason.
Because they tend to not ride like a brick, among other reasons.

Anyway, sweet looking bike and ya, road riding will make you faster. I love mine. Careful, you might get hooked.

The Ito

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
i agree which is why i get referred to as a roadie snob :disgust:
F' that! I quit the crit series I entered last year because we were forced to begin in the Cat 5 races for the first 4 or 5 races. After the second I was pretty sure there was no way I would survive anymore. I had my front wheel hit, and my handlebars bumped by so many people I almost stopped caring.

I'll ride in small groups of people I know or with the local race teams who are generally more experienced and more likely to hold their line.

As for learning how to ride in a group. Practice holding your line and remaining calm and loose while riding by yourself or with a friend. Get a buddy to let you hold his wheel at a fast pace. Once you are comfortable then skip the soccer mom group rides and go hang onto the back of a Cat 2 or 3 pack. You'll learn technique plenty fast. It all comes down to holding your line and defending your front wheel.

The Ito

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Heh. I picked up a Scott Cross Team a couple months ago....looks mighty similar to that one...just has some beefier tires (since it is a cross bike....) and some ultegra stuff.

You're right, those bad boys are screamin' deals. Good find!! You'll find yourself cornering a lot better when you get back onto dirt...cause the xc bike will feel like driving a cadillac with those wider bars....it's awesome. I'd even go so far as to say confidence inspiring.

Good luck!