Quantcast

Road bike:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Congrats on the new ride BS. A new bike's a new bike, so ignore the haters.
Haha... it's ok, you wouldn't believe the lame music i have to put up with when i go to my spin class. It's all worth it when you get out on the trail and don't gas.
I don't know. I had to put up with Def Leppard and Creed this morning. Not sure if it was worth it...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I made some assumptions: that you're as old (probably older) as me and your knees aren't as young as they used to be.

I could be wrong, but if I'm not, the smaller gaps in the cassette would be knee-pleasing goodness!

Yeah, I want to keep my six decade old knees working.

I think I worked out all the available gearings before making the switch and didn't find the gaps to be too frightening.

What took some getting used to was the fact that the XT, which replaced a 105, is rapid rise.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think I worked out all the available gearings before making the switch and didn't find the gaps to be too frightening.
here's the thing... I'm dumb.

It's much easier for me to stay in one front ring and move around 4-5 rear cogs, than have to think, think about which ring-cog combos yield what's best for my knees.

Props for being smarter than me... tho that's not difficult.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
some of us have sensitive knees, i can feel the difference between a 12-23 and a 12-27.

If you can't or don't, then you should appreciate how solid your knees are.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
here's the thing... I'm dumb.

It's much easier for me to stay in one front ring and move around 4-5 rear cogs, than have to think, think about which ring-cog combos yield what's best for my knees.

Props for being smarter than me... tho that's not difficult.
One of my biggest pet peeves is riding with folks who cross their chains up. Especially those who constantly break their chains. It is possibly the one thing some one else can do to annoy me without making loud screeching sounds. I think it is a form of OCD.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I just shift into the heaviest gear I can push over. Doesnt seem to affect my knees. Is that wrong?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just shift into the heaviest gear I can push over. Doesnt seem to affect my knees. Is that wrong?
If you are comfortable with that it is fine. I enjoy road riding more if I can find a good rhythm with my cadence. For me it is around 75 rpm, others prefer much higher, say 100 rpm.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you are comfortable with that it is fine. I enjoy road riding more if I can find a good rythm with your cadence. For me it is around 75 rpm, others prefer much higher, say 100 rpm.
What I mean is, I have a cadence, I dont have a number for it, but as long as I can keep it, I dont shift until I have to.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What I mean is, I have a cadence, I dont have a number for it, but as long as I can keep it, I dont shift until I have to.
If you can keep a smooth pedal stroke you are probably fine, if you are just mashing on the pedals you might want to think about it a little. I get sick of people telling me I need to spin faster. They think that because Lance pedals at 120 rpm everyone should.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you are comfortable with that it is fine. I enjoy road riding more if I can find a good rhythm with my cadence. For me it is around 75 rpm, others prefer much higher, say 100 rpm.
I absolutely must stay between 85-90. Less or more hurts. I should clarify that I developed a habit from riding with a torn ACL.

But I can't hammer like Burly does and can't spin fast.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hmmm. I should do some experimenting I suppose. I was climbing some pretty big hills today, so I didnt really have much of a chance to get in a groove. I rode about 20 miles, but it was round a very hilly 6 mile loop and I was either charging up hills or cruising down them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I absolutely must stay between 85-90. Less or more hurts. I should clarify that I developed a habit from riding with a torn ACL.

But I can't hammer like Burly does and can't spin fast.
I'm good for 75-85. Past 85 my legs blow up with no chance for recovery. I'm all about the slow twitch.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmmm. I should do some experimenting I suppose. I was climbing some pretty big hills today, so I didnt really have much of a chance to get in a groove. I rode about 20 miles, but it was round a very hilly 6 mile loop and I was either charging up hills or cruising down them.
Nah just ride the damn thing. I only think about this stuff because I like long rides. On a 6 hour road ride you have time to think about some really stupid ****.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Nah just ride the damn thing. I only think about this stuff because I like long rides. On a 6 hour road ride you have time to think about some really stupid ****.
amen! and so true.

BS, just have fun. I can't comment further since we're mostly really long, mild climbs. Not a great deal of rolling hills here. Flat or steep is easy. Rolling or windy is difficult.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Work on the spin. You'll go further, be faster, and enjoy the ride more. There are definite times to be mashing, but overall you'll be happier if you sit down and spin.

It will also give you that lovely round pedal stroke that will benefit you once you get back on the mountain bike.

Basically, shift a gear or two down and notice the difference. You'll also end up working different muscle groups, so spinning hard is a great way to relax if you've been mashing it up all day. Builds sexy legs too.

The Ito

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
plus, roadies doing 8mph at a 110 cadence look downright retarded. (bonus points for the fatties, and those who swing their hips)