Quantcast

road cycling etiquette

spec c

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
colorado
i didn't see a specific forum for this so i thought i'd keep it local...

i'm a little frustrated, and i'm sure i'm preaching to the choir here but...

if your going to ride on very busy streets...

1. plan ahead.
2. drivers cannot read your mind.
3. your late decisions are on you, they are not the drivers fault. (especially when they are already passing you)
4. don't be an A$$ and try to teach the driver a lesson at the next stop light when it's YOU that phu*ked up. :nope:

thanks for listening.

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado
once i was driving up lefthand, and there were these three guys riding up-NOT in single file. all three took up the whole lane. so, one of them darts into the middle of the right lane (two lane road) and so i now have this little pathway to pass, then, this car comes peacin' down and around a corner, i have to salm on the breaks, and then go back into my lane, then shift to first and let the car pass. (mean while that one dude is still on the wrong side of the road) long story short for a 15 yo kid who only has his permit, this was very much a bitch to do. if only they could follow the "single file law applies" sign.

spec c

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
colorado
thanks LordOpie, not sure how i missed that.

can a moderator move this thread so i'm not double-posting? or is there a way for me to do it?

thanks.

Zaphod

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
San Jose
I am somehow reminded of riding home the other night..

There is a short section (maybe 1/3 mile) of one lane road on my commute. I ride as close to the edge of the road as possible. There is plenty of room for cars to pass. This guy in a convertible comes up behind me and yells something at me. I shrugged my shoulders at him and continued where I was riding. He finally passed me where the road goes back to two lanes and I called him an idiot. There was a cop behind him.. =)

He was probably scared by the combination of a cop behind him and a cyclist obeying the rules of the road in front of him.

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
On certain roads it is more practical than others, and where that is so, it is posted.

Anytime there is no bike lane, cyclists are leagally entitled to the right four feet of the road. Legalities aside, it is better to be safe and wrong, then right and dead.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
ya know in all honestly i know cyclist are supposed to obey speed limits too but if a cop pull over a cyclist... goes to court and is charges with a something whould it be speeding or wreckless endangerment... " yeah i was doing 45 thru a 25, on a bike, and got slapped with a ticket" kinda makes for a funny story

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
i dont thing we should be force to ride a certain way. but generally i like to ride "single file" cause u get a awesome draft doing on that way, and switch off who pulls every 2 mins...... of man what a awesome pace u can carry doing that :)

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Of course you should follow the single file law, at the very least when a car is behind.

That story about the convertable is pretty typical, nothing bugs me more than when Im completely out of the lane and cars still wont go by for fear I might suddenly pull 3 feet left or their draft will knock me over or something.

spec c

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
colorado
haha! i've never seen the wind from a car knock over a cyclist.

well, this was a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way) and the guy decided he wanted to be in the left lane, but not until i was beside him in that lane passing him. i was in a completely different lane, he had the whole right lane to himself, and his arm went out to change when he was about even with my front passenger wheel as i was passing. he was maybe doing 20mph in a 40. he got mad at me because i didn't slow down and let him over. riiiiight. :rolleyes:

c.

Zaphod

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
San Jose
Another thing to consider is that whoever is ahead always has the right of way. This is true whether or not they are going the speed limit. If someone pulls into your lane, it is your responsibility to avoid them, not theirs. Though that does not mean they should have pulled into your lane in the first place.

spec c

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
colorado
yes, i agree with you Zaphod. just like when your up on the slopes skiing/snowboarding.

i came up on this guy and slowed down in the right lane, then changed lanes to the left lane to pass him. he was mad that i passed him. he had more than enough room.

c.

cycleman

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
stoner_303 said:
once i was driving up lefthand, and there were these three guys riding up-NOT in single file. all three took up the whole lane. so, one of them darts into the middle of the right lane (two lane road) and so i now have this little pathway to pass, then, this car comes peacin' down and around a corner, i have to salm on the breaks, and then go back into my lane, then shift to first and let the car pass. (mean while that one dude is still on the wrong side of the road) long story short for a 15 yo kid who only has his permit, this was very much a bitch to do. if only they could follow the "single file law applies" sign.

I can't believe this. you nearly hit a car because they you're trying to overtake when you can't see what's coming and you try and blame someone else. Whether or not the cyclists should have been across the lane like that, if you try and pass when you can't properly see what's coming then that's your problem. You sit there and wait until you can see. It tends to illustrate how cracy it is that a "15 yo kid" should be in control of a lethal weapon in the first place.

As for these single file laws, I'm curious. In Europe, or Britain at least, I don't believe there are any laws restricting you to single file. I think we're allowed to ride where we like on the road. Obviously its a bit rude to sit in the middle and not let anyone pass, but equally its dangerous to ride close to the edge so that cars try and pass when there's not really room. You've got nowhere to go if there's a pothole in the road or if you wobble.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
ya know tho u do need atleast one car or some means of tranportation so u can get to your favorite loop to ride there. but other then that hell ya i completely agree. say no to car... yes to cranks

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
There is a single file law in Colorado - but most people don't understand how it works. Single file law means that cyclists must be in single file - to the left of the white line. This means that if the road has a 5 foot shoulder and 3 guys are side by side in the shoulder - and one guy is to the left of them and the white line - then that is considered single file. Most rednecks and white trash fail to understand this and drive by screaming anyway.

Also - if you are flying down a hill at 40 - and the speed limit is 40 or less - you can take up most of the lane if you need to. Cars do not have a legal right to break the law and speed - which is what they would be doing if they passed you. In other words - if you aren't blocking traffic then fuggedaboutit. I verified this fact when talking to the Boulder PD after I reported some asshole that tried to run me over.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
DBR X6 RIDER said:
No doubt - truly the kind of driver(s) that I fear the most.:eek:
A station wagon was passing me through a blind turn, some asshole in a sports car comes ROARING around the turn, barely misses the station wagon who is forced to run me off the road. People like that should have their teeth broken and be forced to spit blood.

J

JRB

hardtail_schmuk said:
A station wagon was passing me through a blind turn, some asshole in a sports car comes ROARING around the turn, barely misses the station wagon who is forced to run me off the road. People like that should have their teeth broken and be forced to spit blood.

I'll bet they post on RM and don't ride bikes too.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
dhrider said:
ok the point is here destroy all the cars :) whos with me !!!
I could do w/o a car. A BOB trailer(or equivalent) attached to my road bike with a mount for my MTB could get me to races.