Quantcast

Road Race #2

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yesterday was my second road race. Some of you may recall my race recap last year of my first race. Anywho, yesterday part of the proceeds went towards a charity Mark Reynolds was involved in (the mountain biker killed by the lion).

I raced Cat 3/4, 11.6 miles a lap, 3 laps, and it was actually a lot of fun! I was hoping to go incognito, but was spotted on the startline by a lady who used to race expert mtb's with me a couple years ago. We rolled out (about 40 of us or so), and it started on a hill immediately two rollers, and then one long steeper one. I went to the front and pushed the pace with another girl. Then there is a huge DH where you can get going about 40 mph..woohoo!!!!! The next section was rolling and winding and then we hit another long hill back to the start. We actually had a double paceline working for awhile on the backside but it became apparent to me that a group of about 8 of us were pulling the peleton around. The paceline was too slow for my likeing and I started to get frustrated. Through the startline I attacked on the hills and we dropped down to about 12 or so. On the backside we pushed even harder and people were uncomfortable. At one point someone told me my bike was ticking and I told her it was my metronome. LOL

Fastforward a bit and we're coming around for the bell lap. I knocked it up another notch and we're hammering. We're down to 6 or so and I am feeling good still. I'm riding at the front most of the time, leading the group. On the last hill section the other lady and I went hard. We are down to 3 now and I'm not really focusing. I have no idea how far till the start line and I'm just generally riding along checking out scenery. LOL She stands up and sprints up the hill and I just kind of gradually pick it up a bit. She's put a gap on but for some reason I don't respond. :confused: I'm not sure what I was doing. I go a little faster and see the finishline, cruise on through for 2nd place - I won money for the second weekend in a row!!!!!!!!!!!1

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
First congrats on placing well and secondly... "your bike is ticking", what kind of pshyc is that? Wahahahahahah. :D :D :D

Are you going to stick with the road race thing and work up to cat2?

I do remember your write up from last year - almost verbatim. :eek:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by T-Dog
Congrats!
There's a new race up here this year.....it's this weekend, and a pretty good drive for ya but you might want to check it out.....it's for a good cause too.....

www.bicyclesofojai.com
Hey, what happened to Garrett?

I have to stay home this weekend and get some stuff done though. :(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Serial Midget
First congrats on placing well and secondly... "your bike is ticking", what kind of pshyc is that? Wahahahahahah. :D :D :D

Are you going to stick with the road race thing and work up to cat2?

I do remember your write up from last year - almost verbatim. :eek:
Yah, since I got second place fairly easily amongst a bunch of the Cat 3 racers, I think Cat 2 is a good goal. I'd like to do the Cascade Cycling Classic up in Bend, Oregon this July if I can get an upgrade to Cat 3. Stage races are really good for me and would like to do more of them.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Originally posted by Heidi
Hey, what happened to Garrett?

I have to stay home this weekend and get some stuff done though. :(

Garrett was hit and killed by a car while racing out in Arizona last year (same weekend we were racing the 24 hours in Old Pueblo)
Very popular and talented kid......

splat

Nam I am
Nice Job :thumb:

Telling some one that something appears wrong with there bike is a old trick used on a Newbie road racer.

other ones that are used is Like your rear brake looks like it is rubbing ( i was told that one a couple of times ) , or there is something caught in your rear derailuer,shoe lace is untied, etc that is used a lot of times just before an attack to distract you just for a second , while they attack.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes but... your bike is ticking? Like it's some sort of time bomb?

One race that I did that had a horrible climb I was passed by a guy who said... "almost everyone walks this one" that stuck with me. Another time I overheard a guy say to someone else that there was "no shame in dropping".

I guess I will try the ticking bike one when I race at the end of this month... :)

Originally posted by splat
other ones that are used is Like your rear brake looks like it is rubbing ( i was told that one a couple of times ) , or there is something caught in your rear derailuer,shoe lace is untied, etc that is used a lot of times just before an attack to distract you just for a second , while they attack.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by splat
Nice Job :thumb:

Telling some one that something appears wrong with there bike is a old trick used on a Newbie road racer.

No, there really IS something ticking. I can't figure it out yet. It's coming from the cassette I think.