Quantcast

road vs cx bikes

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm pretty serious about my riding, but I don't race, I don't count grams, I don't monitor rms, bps, or anything else. I ride hard and I ride fast. At least that's the way it's always been for me on my mountain bike.

So now, as some of you know, I've been looking for a road bike... basically as a secondary bike - to commute to work with, to do hill climbs and century rides when I can't be on my mountain bike... that kind of thing.

I've had a lot of problems finding something that really feels good. Up until yesterday, most of my time has been spent demoing aluminum road bikes. Yesterday I was at my LBS waiting for a wheel to be trued when I decided to take a Jamis steel CX bike for a spin. It took me a about 200 yards before I was completely comfortable on the bike. It felt great, and if it had been the right size, I probably would have bought it on the spot.

The thing I'd still like to know is how much of that "comfort" had to do with the fact that it was steel, versus the slight changes in geometry that come with CX bikes.

For someone like me, how much of a difference is there between a CX bike and a road bike? I'm not anal about the fine details... I just want to be able to have a good, hard, fun ride. Will I really notice (from the saddle) much of a difference between a CX bike and a road bike?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Others know more, but I'll chime in :)

I think the benefits of steel only show up after a period of time, an hour, four hours? You may be annoyed at the vibration/noise thru an AL bike, but I think that's far more mental than physical in the first 200yds.

If it was actual physical comfort, then I'll guess it has far more to do with geometry.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It was the Jamis Aurora.

I'm sure the material was a factor, but I can't imagine it would have made a huge difference on a 20 minute ride. So I guess my real question is this: Is typical CX geometry different enough from typical road bike geometry to make that big of a difference? Or is it more that Jamis geometry fits me well? In reality, i suspect it's some of both... but I'm wondering if I should go back to some of the brands I've previously ruled out and look at their CX bikes.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
From what I remember, CX geometry (angle-wise) is pretty much in between "racey" road bikes and XC mtb bikes. Of course, the Jamis geometry may just work really well with your body. What brands are you looking at? I might be able to offer some advice.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I only took a quick peek at Jamis, but it looks like the geometries are close, but not the same. It's surprising how a cm here or there can make such a noticeable difference.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nate at RIT said:
From what I remember, CX geometry (angle-wise) is pretty much in between "racey" road bikes and XC mtb bikes. Of course, the Jamis geometry may just work really well with your body. What brands are you looking at? I might be able to offer some advice.
primarily Jamis, Bianchi and Fuji. They are what I can get locally.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
oh, and Specialized too... but only a little. I can get them locally, but I really don't like the shop that sells them, so I'd prefer to do business elsewhere.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Nate at RIT said:
Cool. I was going to give you a word of warning if you had mentioned a certain brand, but it wasn't on your list.
OK Nate - is the the barand that you & I have discussed in the past via PM?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
A couple nice things about cross bikes:
- Clearance for wider tires (and possibly fenders)
- They can take more of a beating

Both are good for commuters.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Nate at RIT said:
Yeah I believe so. Didn't want to badmouth them at all (they treated me great), just let Jackson know of my experience with their 'cross frame. By the way, how's that treating you?
Well, it's treating me pretty well. My regular ride has been been 12 road miles to the trail, then tool on the trail for a while, then 12 road miles home and the bike is just great for that. I still need to tweak my positioning a little, and I'm rethinking my crank selection, but otherwise it's great.
Really a fun ride, and I love opening it up on some of the trails - you were right - great trail bike geometry.
What's your current ride?

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Current 'cross bike is a CrossCheck. Havent' taken it off road yet (fixed with a 39:15 ratio). Need a get a big (20t) freewheel on the other side first. CrossCheck rides great, and feel wonderful for me. Glad to hear yours is working out good, I still recommend watching that area just for safety's sake. It was a great riding bike (and a great company), and you know the rest of the story.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't have much experience with CX bikes, but I did borrow my friend's S-Works CX bike for a couple of weeks...it felt far more like a mountain bike than a roadie, which would be good for commuting/touring and such. I felt farther back on the bike and a little bit more upright. The geometry was more relaxed, but the frame felt more compact that a standard roadie (yes, more compact than the compact crap S and G have...).

I'd get one if I was training/touring/commuting/messengering on it, but not for anything longer than 50 or so miles. After that, things would probably feel uncomfortable and you'd be much happier on a real road bike. But that's me. Lots of people feel right at home on a CX bike. See if the shop will put slicks on it and let you take it out for a real ride (You know, 25 milesish.), then see if it will work for you.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've had both a cross-bike and full roadies. There are minor differences in geometry, but chances are if I had set the cross-bike up with the same components (Campy instead of Shimano) I would probably still have it.

Cross bikes tend to be a bit slacker and have a higher bottom bracket. They also tend to have longer top-tubes for a given seat-tube length for better clearance for dismounts.

For general road riding I prefer the lower bottom bracket of typical European road geometry. I don't race on the road, so for me it's all about comfort and stability.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
buck said:
Im pretty sure Flecha used a cross bike for paris-roubaix and was able to get 3rd. Then again he is a pro and thats not a normal road race, so not sure if that helps much.

Most are just special road bikes. Longer wheelbase. 36 spoke rims. Specially drilled stems so they can run cantis and wider tires.