Quantcast

Rocky Roads Partners with UCI - What the Hell is Rocky Roads?!

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Some very bizarre developments in the world of cycling have come through today. From what we can tell, a complete scam website has ponied up to become the title sponsor of the UCI World Cup...press release inside.
---

Source: UCI

The International Cycling Union (UCI) today signed an important sponsoring contract with the Belgian company Rocky Roads Network.

Under this agreement – confirmed in Champéry (SUI) during the UCI Mountain Bike World Championships – RockyRoads Network will become the title sponsor of the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Thanks to this partnership, RockyRoads Network will benefit from significant visibility during all rounds of the UCI World Cup presented by Shimano.

The UCI President, Pat McQuaid, welcomed the signing of the new contract: “This partnership between the UCI and RockyRoads Network for the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup confirms the importance of this series of high-level competitions which over the last few years has already become well established throughout the world. The UCI and the cycling family look forward to welcoming this new sponsor for the World Cup. They have previously demonstrated its support for the discipline by becoming a partner of the 2011 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships in Champéry.”

In 2012, the “RockyRoads UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano” will include 10 events in nine countries (South Africa, Great Britain, Belgium, Canada, the United States, France, Norway, Czech Republic and Italy). More than 4000 riders from 48 countries will take part in the different mountain bike specialities.

The owner of RockyRoads Network, Sietse Schelpe, commented “We are very happy to sponsor the World Cups, and are really looking forward to this partnership with the UCI. From the start, our aim was to support off-road biking and make the sport more accessible to the general public. We strongly believe that this sponsorship is a great step in that direction.”

RockyRoads Network is the largest European on-line biking platform for the mountain bike, BMX, trials and cyclo-cross disciplines. Its team of 10 journalists and photographers covers Europe’s main off-road events. Its headquarters is in Antwerp. Each day, more than 221’000 unique visitors consult the Belgian website, which is available in four languages (English, French, German and Dutch).

---

Any RM members feel like dropping a bit of dough and becoming the presenting sponsor?!

Attachments

Si Paton

Chimp
Sep 4, 2011
Everyone at Eurobike was questioning this, me more than most as I have a vested interest in this kind of deal as I run the Halo British Downhill Series, Commentator on Eurosport for the World cups, British Cycling Gravity Comission board member and U.K Editor for PB. Hence we drove to to have a 3hour meeting with RockyRoads. One hundred questions asked and answered which will all come out at some point soon and will be available for everyone.

What I can say:
-No media restrictions in place.
-UCI pay the production costs of the live coverage (this is historically the case).
--UCI then sell those rights.
-No TV rights have been included in the deal.
-This Freecaster three year deal finished this year.
-The rights for the T.V coverage are up for tender.

I'm off to watch the finals now as were here in Champery Switzerland!

Cheers.

Si..

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Hey Fraser....

this might sound paranoid or may have even been covered in another thread, but do you think rocky roads will attempt to have exclusivity on photos with their supposed 10 journalists and photographers? like, they wouldn't allow freelance photographers?? maybe an attempt at some sort of media takeover??