Quantcast

Rohloff hub adjustment question

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
For those of you that have played around with one, I was wondering if there are any other ways of adjusting the hub other than the two barrel adjusters at the gearbox.

I checked the .pdf file off the rohloff-usa site and it says that if I have too much tension, I won't get the 1st and 14th gear. If the cables are too loose I'll have excess play in the shifter. Other than that, is there anything else I should be doing? Any tips? I find while pedaling hard and shifting the hub locks up slightly. Doesn't happen all the time though.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think I answered part of my question...that slight locking feeling might of been that temporary slip into 14th gear. Although, I'd still like to know any adjustment tips if there are any.

"Shifting under load is possible, but the resistance in the shifter is proportional to the load on the pedals. The higher
the load on the pedals, the higher the resistance is on the shifter. It is best to reduce the load on the pedals
momentarily or to shift at the dead points (12 o'clock / 6 o'clock position).
Important: When you shift very slowly and under load between the gears 7 and 8, you will momentarily go into
gear 14. This does not happen when you shift at normal speed and/or under reduced pedal load."

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
There are a couple of issues with the Rohloff, if you are pedaling hard it will be hard to downshift. The harder you pedal the harder it is, softpedaling for a split second like you do when you shift a deraileur bike while climbing a hill does the trick, it's the torque that causes too much friction for it to switch gears.

Finding 14 in between 7-8 is also fixed by softpedaling when switching gears. I really wish they would move to using pedaling torque to help downshifts like they are doing in the Honda and new Nexus stuff. It's just a good idea.

As far as shifting feel, switching to Nokon cables makes a huge difference, shifting is more crisp with less slop and friction.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Shifting is opposite from a regular drivetrain, rather then shifting while pedaling the Rohloff shifts better if you stop pedalling for a split second.