Quantcast

roof rack question

sgv321

Chimp
Feb 19, 2002
So. Cal
I am thinking of getting a roof rack but I dont know how I would get the bike up on top of the roof by myself. The roof is pretty high, Im 5'8" & dont think that I can lift my bike above my head for more than a few seconds & not to mention to put it in place to snap in into the rack. I am afraid that I will drop the bike on the car & dent or scratch the car. How do you guys do it?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by sgv321
I am thinking of getting a roof rack but I dont know how I would get the bike up on top of the roof by myself. The roof is pretty high, Im 5'8" & dont think that I can lift my bike above my head for more than a few seconds & not to mention to put it in place to snap in into the rack. I am afraid that I will drop the bike on the car & dent or scratch the car. How do you guys do it?
I'm short like you, and I manage... (damn, I look kind of fat with my t-shirt billowing out, eh? :D )

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
I've had roof racks on a 94 Golf (fairly high for a small car) and a 94 Civic (fairly low.) I'm 5'8" and have no problem. My wife is 5'2" and can sometimes do it, sometimes not.
Here's a hint: grab the seat tube just above the bottom bracket, and the fork blade at its base. The lower you start, the less-high you have to stretch.