Quantcast

rotec bikes?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't most Spesh bike have shit low values of anti squat?
Not exactly, they usually have around 100% at sag, but a steep falling curve/line after that, which means as the suspension is working and you are pedaling/more weight shifted rearward, things get worse fast as far as pedaling, but they are slowly shifting to higher AS, if not flattening their curve. The new Epic isn't even a horst link anymore and does have a much flatter curve.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are we talking DH or trail? Most Spesh trail bikes have an acceptable design these days. The DH bike not so much. The old rotec was low on AS as well. I'm not sure how much that matters in a DH bike though. Far more critical on a bike you climb, but you can make do on a shitty bike for a quick sprint.

FWIW, I owned a concentric BB pivot bike for a while. It was a fun little ride that excelled in jumps (learned my first rhythm section on it) and cornered like a madman. It was my favorite bike on a gradual grade singletrack trail that wasn't too bumpy. It was miserable on trail though, absolutely the worst bike I've ridden on flat or inclines.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I had one of the Kona A's and it climbed like a goat but was too small. I'd need an xl Rotec and I don't see one on their website. I'd never consider concentric for a geared trail bike. For SS it's the best thing available, IMO. SS sucks in the flat spin anyways, maybe the extra bob would make it unbearable. A stiff coil spring could do a lot to mitigate the bouncy garbagel, maybe? Like WCH I know not suspension dynamics but just what I like.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the joke is on me. i didn't look at the trail bike till now. just figured it was the same design as the dh, only scaled down..
:banana:

i would take a mini lawwill trail bike any day.

I think that you could make the little rotec ride OK, but it's going to need a LOT of bandaids to come close to a modern trail bike like a Transition, Norco, GG, or even a spec. I would still rock one for park bike fun, but I'd rather have a singleator on a bike with a good design than none.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not exactly, they usually have around 100% at sag, but a steep falling curve/line after that, which means as the suspension is working and you are pedaling/more weight shifted rearward, things get worse fast as far as pedaling, but they are slowly shifting to higher AS, if not flattening their curve. The new Epic isn't even a horst link anymore and does have a much flatter curve.
Never looked at their new trailbikes. I only know demos pedaled like shit. Pitch was meh but I rode it when all bikes were meh.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
:banana:

I would still rock one for park bike fun, but I'd rather have a singleator on a bike with a good design than none.
I am a single speed junkie, I've had 3x the SS bikes vs geared. It's the simplicity that I love, nothing extra to get jacked up and ruin a ride. Suspension kinematics won't leave me stranded in the woods