Quantcast

Route 66 Ride, anyone want to join?

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I am planning a cross country ride of 2100miles from Chi Town to San Fran on the ever famous stretch of 2 lane known as Route 66. I am thinking mid October, but if someone want to go, and needs another date I am flexible. I plan to ride 100miles per day and finish in 3 weeks. If anyone is interested let me know.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
None of you pussies want to go? It's only 2100miles. I'll probably only average around 22mph. So most riders can keep up.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
With nobody to trade pulls with, that Soloist will come in handy :happydance: ;)

I'd be down, except you're starting in the wrong place, and I have school.

PS. Route 66 comes thru SoCal...is there a split somewhere?

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
With nobody to trade pulls with, that Soloist will come in handy :happydance: ;)

I'd be down, except you're starting in the wrong place, and I have school.

PS. Route 66 comes thru SoCal...is there a split somewhere?
Actually it goes to LA. But that is no big deal. I got places to stay in Huntington Beach. Then I want to ride the PCH anyway up to San Fran. Got a spot to stay in San Jose too. Got a Desert spot near Death Valley too.

There is some info on 66
http://www.historic66.com/

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
checking the net found that the modern era tours averaged from 38 to 40 km per hr and from 3,900 to 3,300 km in distance and ironically enough ,21 stages. so thats around 24.5 mph avg for somewhere between 2000 to 2400 miles

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I just rode to the next town over to get a State ID so I can use it when I test drive bikes tomorrow. I averaged 24mph, I am doing this on a 20yr old 25lbs Schwinn Traveler, with minor upgrades. Granted I only went 16miles round trip. I had a headwind, and several small hills. Once I get a modern bike I can really crank on, with some decent aerodynamics, it is on! It may realistically be closer to a 20mph after all the mountain stages, I probably an being a bit optimistic. I am sure if we get some people interested, and they come and need a rest day, I will oblige as long as we get there in under a month I am good.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
its not so much the speed as its 21 centuries in a row!!!! i put in over 10,000 miles last year and back to back 100 milers still tore me down pretty good even with that many miles under my belt, i couldnt imagine 21 in a row

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
its not so much the speed as its 21 centuries in a row!!!! i put in over 10,000 miles last year and back to back 100 milers still tore me down pretty good even with that many miles under my belt, i couldn't imagine 21 in a row
I think it is doable. I have been working my way up to it. I have been doing between 40 and 70miles a day for the last couple weeks after recovering from my Bike to SUV collision which was 6 days after loosing my license. I have no other means of transportation now so I have been ridding like mad. I figure this will be hella preparation for my future of cycling which is next I want to get into racing. I figure once I do this regular races will be an easy chore.

The common factors were not a coincidence. I knew how many miles were in the tour, and how many stages there were. When I was hit, and couldn't ride or barely walk, I did nothing but watch TdF for the next 2 weeks, and it got me inspired. I would love to one day be a pro Cyclist. At 26 I am starting way late, but it could happen. Either way I just want to get involved in the sport. I never wanted to be a roadie rider. I laughed at douchebags in spandex. Now I understand their passion, I am a douchebag in spandex sometimes, I rode in DH shorts and a T shirt today though. It took license loss, a tragic crash, and a TdF, to spark this new love at 26 years of age. Only after racing everything from Cars, to Quads, to MTBs. I guess I am getting old because this and Cars, are the only shots, I still have a distant chance at making it in.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
As in:

1.) I still want to be able to live and walk normally after 21 days....
2.) I'm serving a life sentence in San Quentin...
c.) I live in Colorado and would rather drink beer and get some chick to do a little dance for me...

Pick one.

:D
Just one?

As for #1, don't care. I would love to ride across america. But that won't happen for a long time now.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
if you are serious about getting into racing the best piece of advice I got was to get a coach. IMHO that will be money well spent, more so than carbon bits for the bike. maybe buy the Goose and spend the rest on a coach?

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
if you are serious about getting into racing the best piece of advice I got was to get a coach. IMHO that will be money well spent, more so than carbon bits for the bike. maybe buy the Goose and spend the rest on a coach?
What would getting a coach do for me? More training, more focused, and what else? I mean honestly, I think it is nothing I can't handle myself until I get to a higher level where at that point I would be on a team, and have a coach. I am not knocking your idea, I am just wanting to know how that would be the most advantageous choice for me?

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
the reasons for getting a coach are endless if you are serious about taking your racing to the highest level. like i stated before , i logged over 10K miles last year. i was so over trained it wasn't even funny. just goin out and riding is not the best approach when it comes to racing. sure most people know about intervals, hill repeats, sprints, base mileage , tempo,FTP, LT, etc etc. but when do you do intervals? hill repeats? sprints? how are your blocks of training goin to be layed out? how long , intense do you build before you taper and how long before a race should you taper? are you gettin enough recovery rides/time in? a coach is the person to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, and more impotantly an unbias view of your training. lets face it most of us racers are egotistical and given the chance will train ourselves into the ground simply because we know no better.
if you would have said you wanted to just go do a few races and have some fun thats entirely different, but if you truly want to pursue it to the highesy level a coach will keep you on the right path

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
the reasons for getting a coach are endless if you are serious about taking your racing to the highest level. like i stated before , i logged over 10K miles last year. i was so over trained it wasn't even funny. just goin out and riding is not the best approach when it comes to racing. sure most people know about intervals, hill repeats, sprints, base mileage , tempo,FTP, LT, etc etc. but when do you do intervals? hill repeats? sprints? how are your blocks of training goin to be layed out? how long , intense do you build before you taper and how long before a race should you taper? are you gettin enough recovery rides/time in? a coach is the person to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, and more impotantly an unbias view of your training. lets face it most of us racers are egotistical and given the chance will train ourselves into the ground simply because we know no better.
if you would have said you wanted to just go do a few races and have some fun thats entirely different, but if you truly want to pursue it to the highesy level a coach will keep you on the right path
Thanks for the insight TJ. Your a really helpful individual. I'm gonna do this trip, run some races, and play it by ear. I will probably at one point need a coach, but I want to try racing a few times and make sure I like it, I am confident I will, but I want to be safe. Going into my first race with experience from other forms of Cycling, and a ride across the Country, not to mention ridding daily for fun, and transportation, would be more than most would have at their first race. I will take your advice though, if I continue in the sport.