Quantcast

Rubens...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am a traditionalist when it comes to Rubens. However I use Pastrami and Corned beef to make mine. I also use Kens Steak House Russian dressing instead of making my own. I can't make it better so I go with it.

I start by gently warming the meat. Oven or pan doesn't matter. I use one slice of Pastrami (brisket style) to 3 slices of Corned beef (Top Round style). 1/4 lb of meat should suffice.
Odds are you can't get good soft Rye Bread where you are. So Beefsteak Hearty Rye with seeds is good enough. If you can get Cohens or Grossingers good for you...
Real butter needs to be utilized for proper grilling. Softened to spreadable delight!
If you have access to a good deli and can get real barrel cured Sauerkraut, good for you. If not the stuff in the plastic bag at the Grocery store works well if properly drained. I heat it in a pan with a dab of bacon grease to warm it up. My Mom liked it that way.
Real swiss cheese.
The Kens steakhouse dressing on both sides, cheese on one side and kraut on the other.
Grill that bitch up.
Serve with Lays Potato chips with Dill Pickle juice poured over them. Potato Salad is good with Pickle Juice on it also.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Is that some sort of emmentaler? Or gruyère?
Just go to the deli and buy some good swiss cheese. The kind you eat. It usually says Swiss and Cheese on the package. It will likely have holes in it. Thats OK though. You can work around that since you're putting it between the slices of bread and you will likely not see the holes while eating the delicious sammich. If your OCD prevents further enjoyment, take a bong rip or pop a ambien. You should be fine...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love a good Reuben, sadly many are served way too dry. Butter up that bread, steam up that beef, don't drain the kraut too much and don't be shy with the dressing. And for god's sake make sure that swiss is melted.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I had to walk to the post office during lunch.
Stopped at the panini sandwich shop, because during lunch.
Second item on sandwich board; REUBEN!
No explanation.
No point in looking for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just go to the deli and buy some good swiss cheese. The kind you eat. It usually says Swiss and Cheese on the package. It will likely have holes in it. Thats OK though. You can work around that since you're putting it between the slices of bread and you will likely not see the holes while eating the delicious sammich. If your OCD prevents further enjoyment, take a bong rip or pop a ambien. You should be fine...
Well, I've got *both* emmenthaler and gruyère in my fridge right now - that's mainly why I was asking.