Quantcast

Running two monitors with WinXP

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My boss just gave me a 19 inch flat screen to use with my laptop. I was wondering if anyone knew how to configure it so I can continue using my laptop screen and my new monitor?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Plug it in and, using whichever monitor you want, go to your display settings. If two monitors show up like a normal dual-monitor display setup, you can use it. You can try rebooting in between plugging the monitor in and checking the display settings. Also try cycling through your output modes (Output to laptop screen/Output to monitor) to see if there's a third mode that will output to both.

If two monitors don't show up, your video card probably doesn't support dual output. You can check for video card driver updates, of course, to make sure, but the video card needs to have hardware support for dual output. Since dual-monitor support is native in XP, you shouldn't even need an updated driver.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Right click on your Desktop, go to Properties > Settings > look for two monitor squares in the center window.

Click the secondary monitor (the flat panel) and choose "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor".

Wha La.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
Plug it in and, using whichever monitor you want, go to your display settings. If two monitors show up like a normal dual-monitor display setup, you can use it. You can try rebooting in between plugging the monitor in and checking the display settings. Also try cycling through your output modes (Output to laptop screen/Output to monitor) to see if there's a third mode that will output to both.

If two monitors don't show up, your video card probably doesn't support dual output. You can check for video card driver updates, of course, to make sure, but the video card needs to have hardware support for dual output. Since dual-monitor support is native in XP, you shouldn't even need an updated driver.
thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
here is another question: I set it up, but I put my second monitor above my laptop. How do I change the monitor orientation so my mouse goes up to get to the next monitor, not right?

EDIT: I figured it out. It is under Display options as well. You just move the monitor orientation there.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:
EDIT: I figured it out. It is under Display options as well. You just move the monitor orientation there.
:stupid:

You can designate which is the "main" monitor too, and in some vid cards you can adjust the "landscape" or "portrait" modes for flat monitors that swivel. This is handy for having one standard horizontal monitor setup on one side, and one that runs vertically on the other side for working in spreadsheets, etc that have a ton of rows.

I do alot of data entry and database work - two monitors is essential.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, duals help me when I code for sure. I want a 3rd (wide aspect ratio) one in between the two I already have for when I play w/ video, but the card I got won't go... Wonder what a 3 or 4 head PCI-E vid card runs these days (haven't started looking yet). Back in the day, Matrox was the bomb-diggididy...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pau11y said:
Yeah, duals help me when I code for sure. I want a 3rd (wide aspect ratio) one in between the two I already have for when I play w/ video, but the card I got won't go... Wonder what a 3 or 4 head PCI-E vid card runs these days (haven't started looking yet). Back in the day, Matrox was the bomb-diggididy...
The MSI K8NGM2 motherboard I'm using has a rockin vid chip in it, (nvidia 6150) - actually useful for light gaming (Battlefield 2 runs at med to lower res pretty smooth)

I've read that with a PCIe card with two outputs, you can run thre or more monitors with it. The mobo has analog AND digital output too.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I stand corrected - the mobo I have can support FOUR monitors with the right combo:

7. GeForce 6150 II. Multiple Monitors & TV Support
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Supported Configurations by Onboard Video

The following combinations are supported in DualView mode:

* digital monitor (onboard DVI) + analog monitor (onboard VGA)
* digital monitor (onboard DVI) + TV (onboard TV out)

Non-Supported Configurations by Onboard Video

As GeForce 6150 has only one RAMDAC (Random Access Memory Digital/Analog Converter), the following combinations are not supported:

* analog monitor with a DVI to VGA adapter (onboard DVI) + analog monitor (onboard VGA)
* analog monitor (onboard VGA) + TV (onboard TV out)

Supported Configurations by Onboard Video + Dual-Head PCI-Express Video Card

The following combinations are supported in QuadrupleView mode:

* monitor (video card) + monitor (video card)+ digital monitor (onboard DVI) + analog monitor (onboard VGA)
* monitor (video card) + monitor (video card)+ digital monitor (onboard DVI) + TV (onboard TV out)

Remarks

* In the above configurations, the video card is restricted to the nVIDIA brand. If you disable onboard video in BIOS, you can use an ATI video card.
* Monitors can be used either landscape mode (default) or portrait mode. To change mode, right click NVIDIA Settings in the system tray, then choose "GPU name (Display #)" > Rotation Settings > Rotate 0, 90, 180, 270 degree.
* The description of TV Setup in pages B6 to B8 of Quick User's Guide is wrong (referring to ATI software!). Please download the latest manual from MSI Global site.

WAY too much info HERE:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1803985&enterthread=y

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nice. H8R, thanks for the tip on that mobo. Looks like that will be my next purchase. 4 monitors! I'll be the envy of all my geek friends!

Paully, Thanks for the wallpaper link. :thumb:

With the nvidia software you can have seperate wallpaper settings for each monitor.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hum... interesting little goings on...
I just d/l the latest certified Forceware and got dual monitor going in SLI mode (actually, I had to disable the SLI in software to get the 2nd eye going). IN SLI mode I can only do one eye. However when the mode is disabled, there are 2 DVI output/desktops and a ghost desktop originating from an analog output. Funny thing is both my cards have daul DVI's. I think the analog is the S-video/component out. Sweet, but quite useless for my purpose...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
caboverpete said:
I can remember back in the day when I was school running NT with 3 monitors... no dual heads, I had to run 3 identical cards... 3 pci Voodoo3 3000s
I remember those days. Most I ever ran was two monitors.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My top was when I had a Ultra 60 and an Octane, both dual headed. However, I was just the workstation admin, so all I ran on it was my terminal windows and Netscape!