Quantcast

Sad News

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
From the 2-7-05 Daily Chronicle, Centralia WA

Exposure May Have Caused Cyclist's Death

Littlerock-- A 20-year-old man who left his vehicle parked at Margaret McKenny Campground northwest of Littlerock was found dead late Sunday a few miles north of there in Capitol Forest.

The Thurston County Sheriff's Office suspects he died from exposure. His name was not released by authorities.

The Evergreen State College student, who lived in Olympia, told his family he was going mountain bicycle riding in the Capitol Forest on Friday, according to Chief Criminal Deputy Dan Kimball.

At about 4 p.m. on Sunday, after his family couldn't reach him on his cell phone, the man was reported missing.

Search and rescue volunteers found the man about 10 p.m. Kimball said. He was lying on the C-9200 line road -- to the west of Black Lake -- wearing his helmet and light clothing. His bicycle was not found, leaving the sheriff's office to theorize he may have had a flat tire or some other mishap and tried to walk out, then succumed to the elements.

The Thurston County Coroner's Office is scheduled to conduct an autopsy, but Kimball said there were no signs of foul play.

"It's an unfortunate incident, " Kimball said. "We'll folow up with coroner, and we'd like to find his bike."

I typed this in, so blame me not the Chronicle for any spelling or punctuation errors.

Very sad stuff, I have spent many, many good days in those woods. Bring extra clothes, and ride with a bud if you can peeps. Rest in peace, who ever you were, you died in my favorite place in Washington.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sad news to hear for sure.

Y'know i was thinking about this very thing from a thread on Ranger Creek being open so early. i was thinking to myself if someone who didn't understand how quickly the weather can change or how dangerous XC/trail riding really can be when thing go wrong and you're not prepared. My camelback has tools, compass, matches, first aid, and a space blanket among many other things that can save my ass. Something to consider, the forest can be a humbling place, and i'm very sorry it cost this young man his life.....

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
This is sad news.

We all do this. We all could be victim. I know i think I’m too smart or tough for this to happen to me. But every once in a while (like now) I’m humbled by the world we live in.

Everyone please ride safe. I don't like hearing news like this.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
That is horrible. I stopped riding alone on any forest trails after what happened to Skookum this summer :(

Rob, please post any further new after they release more information.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
From The Daily Olympian, Olympia WA

Mountain biker found dead in Capitol Forest identified

Search crews located the body of a 20-year-old man on a road in the Capitol State Forest at about 10 p.m. on Sunday night, about 2 1/2 days after he told a friend at The Evergreen State College that he was going mountain biking.

Eden Shirman, 20, was found along a dirt road named the C9200 line, according to Dan Kimball of the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office. There were no outward signs of trauma on the body, and it’s possible Shirman died of exposure, he said.

An autopsy is being performed this afternoon.

The Sheriff's Office was alerted late Sunday afternoon that Shirman was missing and dozens of searchers were in the forest by 6 p.m.

Shirman’s first semester at Evergreen was in the fall.

Evergreen students seeking assistance can contact the campus Counseling Center, in Seminar I, room 4126, or call 867-6800 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in services are available daily from 1 to 2 p.m. Students in campus housing should also feel free to seek counsel from their Resident Advisors.

The family is arranging a private service. No additional information about services is available at this time.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
That's why if I'm riding on my own in the winter I will not stray more than a mile from the car.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Thats sad always bring atleast some allen keys, patch kit, and a cell phone when riding. Its always better to dress warm then strip down as u get warm then to dress light in hopes of warming up while biking.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Much sadness.
It's one thing to go riding at Tapeworm, SST or Lake Sawyer solo w/ the bare minimum. Once you're in the deeper woods, riding solo isn't a good idea - especially when you don't have emergency supplies. I sympathize with his friends and family. This is surely a tragedy that should not have happened.
:(

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Damn, I was just up there on Sunday with a buddy. We actually talked about how important it is to ride with a partner, and how easy it would be for a hunter to pick you off from a couple hundred yards away and just pack it up and go home etc etc

I didn't realize it was getting cold enough for someone to die of exposure, my thoughts for his friends and parents

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Gex said:
Thats sad always bring atleast some allen keys, patch kit, and a cell phone when riding. Its always better to dress warm then strip down as u get warm then to dress light in hopes of warming up while biking.

wow you ahve places to ride where a cell phone works? i cant even find a trailhead parking lot where we have service.

on another note, i never ride alone. i posted a thread a while back about not having anyone to ride with because of a football game. someones response was a smart aleck comment about going riding by myself. Aside from the fact that i cant stand riding by myself it isnt very safe either. If i had been alone and in the woods when idestroyed my arm it would have been a big mess.

It sucks to hear things like this. So everyone, when and if you ride alone, be prepared.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Eeks. I'm gonna start packing a camelback with survival stuff now. I never thought of mountain biking like I do hiking. Then again, if your bike breaks, you're in sorry shape.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well i may live across the country from this, but i ride by myself ALLL the time. seems no one else has time to ride with me.

they ever find his bike?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
news link from local paper....

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20050208/southsound/84006.shtml

My friend called me yesterday and asked if i heard about this. Being our back yard and main riding area it hit home. He was worried it was one of our riding friends. As far as i know he wanst a person i knew. Very sad, and condolences go out to family and friends.

Remember to always ride with friends, or at least let people in town know if im not back by so and so time somethings gone wrong. I never ride alone. For one its boring, and 2 its dangerous. In a urban setting as mentioned it may be a different story, but places like capitol forest still have Bears, Cougars, unpredictable weather, dangerous treefall/brush..... (ive had a close call on a few sticks that could have impales me....and left me for dead if i waas alone.)

The news this morning did say they found his bike.

Be safe.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Same with me, that's why I try not to ride alone. And if you do always have a contact person that you call before you get on the trail and when you get off. Tell them how long your supposed to be gone (accounting for mechanicals and what not), where you are, and who to contact if they don't hear from you by the specified time.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends :(

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
My husband told me when ever I first started riding, no matter where, to carry all the supplies I would need if I were to have something like that happen. I thought it was overkill, but now I see the importance of it.

My heart goes out to all of his family and friends. I hope that this will help riders be more prepared while riding.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Ya, I actually went out last time I rode Capitol in a pair of jeans, a 20 gatoraid, and no tools. It's funny how easy it is to get comfortable in an evironment and to forget we play in the woods and sometimes play where it may be a while before someone else comes along.

I did buy a Skookum size camelback last week, I think I can carry every thing I own it. I'll be more aware of what I pack for now on.

Sad stuff regardless, 20 is damn young.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I will only do XC rides alone, and teh places I ride you are never more than a mile or two from a major road.

Plus, there are no trees down here, so you can't get lost.

I never DH alone though. That is just asking for trouble.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
-BB- said:
What happened?
Broke his leg on tree crossing. Freak accident. Lucky for him we were within a mile of a town, but if it would have been a million miles from nowhere, we may have had to leave him for the carnivorous deer to feast on......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
oly said:
Broke his leg on tree crossing. Freak accident. Lucky for him we were within a mile of a town, but if it would have been a million miles from nowhere, we may have had to leave him for the carnivorous deer to feast on......
Carnivourous deer? Isn't Skookum made of tofu?

On a more serious note, sucks about that guy. MTB is just dangerous no matter how you look at it. A few years ago on an everyday easy ride I crashed and knocked myself out. Upon waking up I couldn't breath because I my lungs were full of blood from nothing more than a bloodied nose. I could have easily suffocated there but woke up just in time. I always figured I would die choking on my own bodily fluids but I expect to go out in more of a rock star fashion.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Ya, really weird. If he was alone he would have been there for a while. It took about 5 of us to get him off the mountain. Plus it was about 90 degrees that day.

olytrayne

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
olympia
I saw the sherriffs car parked at 9200 yesterday when we went for a ride. We walked most of the way cause there was so much snow on the trail. The slush was falling off the trees and by the time we got back to the car we were cold as a witches tit. Yeah, its cold enough to die of exposure, especially since we got an inch of rain the night the kid was out. Cap forest can be a scary place if you don't know where you are. Just goes to show, a three ounce emergency blanket is a small price to pay...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have to agree the whole riding alone thing is a little redundant and diminishes the more important lesson, BE PREPARED. Even then things can go wrong, you can't take ALL dangers out of the equation. My incident has no relevance to this situation really, because it sounds like this kid could have been fine with some basic orienteering skills, a compass, layered up with a windbreaker, and a space blanket if it got dark.
All these things i learned from time, and if a thread like this can help someone else be prepared, then it's good.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum said:
if a thread like this can help someone else be prepared, then it's good.
Damned good. It would mean that the poor guy didn't die in vain.

I can only hope to be riding one of my bikes when my number is called, but the scenario that started this thread would be the last way I'd want to go. I would much rather like to be known as the guy that had total brake failure as he was coming out of the woods on the Palisades trail and did a 1,000 ft. drop. That would be more like it.

NECROMONGER

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Olympia
When I do ride by-myself, I give a map that is marked w/ a highlighter to my girlfriend along w/ a time frame. If I don't show up or call by a set time she is to call friends that know the trails. (a.k.a Jody and Gary Klein) And I'll pick a trail that is usually used alot...........Sad Day!

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
olytrayne said:
I saw the sherriffs car parked at 9200 yesterday when we went for a ride. We walked most of the way cause there was so much snow on the trail. The slush was falling off the trees and by the time we got back to the car we were cold as a witches tit. Yeah, its cold enough to die of exposure, especially since we got an inch of rain the night the kid was out. Cap forest can be a scary place if you don't know where you are. Just goes to show, a three ounce emergency blanket is a small price to pay...
My search and rescue unit in highschool didn't train up there monthly for no reason ;)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
My husband new a guy that worked at a bike shop in W. Olympia with the same name (didn't know his last name though)...does anyone know if this is the same person??? :confused: I really hope not!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
MUTOLI said:
My husband new a guy that worked at a bike shop in W. Olympia with the same name (didn't know his last name though)...does anyone know if this is the same person??? :confused: I really hope not!
I dont think thats the same guy. heres an update on EDEN.... http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20050208/southsound/84012.shtml

Guess it could be possible. I just dont recall if ADEN (name pronounced with an A, not E...), the previous van driver was an evergreen student.