Quantcast

Saddle, Bars and New to 29ers

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I have a Redline Monocog 29er on the way and I would like to upgrade the bars, grips and saddle.

Right now I am leaning towards a Brooks B-17 seat and Origin8 Space or On-One Mary bars.

Anyone have any experience with these on their bike? Anyone want to suggest some alternatives?

I am a bit of a newb to MTB and 29ers. I have mostly ridden BMXs. So any other sage advice and recommendations would be most welcome.

Mods - I hope this is in the right section. I posted here as I wanted to get feedback from 29er riders.

Thanks,

J

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Welcome.

B-17 - should be nice - but will be heavy.

Space bars are pretty much a knock off less expensive version of Mary Bars. Mary's are comfy bars. Go for it.

Enjoy the big hoops. If you haven't received the frame yet, might be worth it to have the local bike shop make sure evertyhing is prepped right especially with regard to the head tube and bottom bracket area.

Ride and enjoy!

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks for the info. I can stand the extra weight of the B-17. I am not exactly lightweight myself. And those bars do look super comfy.

I ordered the complete bike from a local bike shop and they are going to build it up for me.

Cheers,

J

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I have had a Space Bar on my XXIX+G for awhile and it was great! (Awaiting new duties for the Space Bar, stay tuned!) I think it is a rather pedestrian looking handlebar, but it is made by Kalloy and is pretty tough. Mary Bars are fantastic too, a higher end feel and finish, but also far more expensive. You could buy two Space Bars and have change left over versus the cost of a Mary bar.

Either way, it's about being comfortable and in control, which either of the two bars will do very well.

Congrats on the big wheeled purchase. Hope you have miles of smiles aboard it!

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Congrats on the big wheeled purchase. Hope you have miles of smiles aboard it!
Thanks. I have wanted a 29er for a while now. I sold off a couple of bikes to get this. This is the first new, complete bike I have bought since I was a teenager. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas right now.

J

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
i ride mary bars on all my bikes (except the DH bike)

fantastic bars...sure the origin 8 are cheaper but Brant (on-one) is a top notch guy and i like to support them. not that i have anything bad to say about origin 8...as far as grips, i'm a lock-on fanatic and don't even realize there are other grips out there.

the brooks b-17 is nice, but IMO not a good offroad choice especially if you are BMX'er (they are large seats). but hey, each to his own...and post pics when you are done!

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks for the info everyone.

Definitely leaning towards the Marys. They sound nice.

As far as the saddle goes I will take a look at the narrow.

Anyone have any other saddle suggestions? I know it is very much about personal preference but I would appreciate hearing what some of you like to seat yourself on.

The Brooks appealed to me because from every review I have read it is really comfortable once broken in. And they look really cool to me.

J

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
i ride a koobi enduro AU, which is the most comfy saddle i've used in 12 years. www.koobi.com

saddles are definitely personal choice!

selle marco makes a brooks-like seat specifically for MTB use, it looks like a narrow brooks with a cut in the middle. apparently very comfy....and around $200+ if you can even find one.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah Saddles are personal really. A B17 Narrow might not feel great on your sit bones if you are not a thin figured rider.

Visit your shop - ask a few questions, look around and maybe they even have a "Demo" type program where you can try out different models. A shop local to me does this - pretty cool idea.

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I looked at the B17 narrow and I think it might be a bit too narrow for me. I am 6' 2" and over 200lbs so I need a bit of support :)

Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to check out some of the LBS's this weekend and see what they have.

J

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
LBS just called and said my bike is ready. The mechanic said the black paint job is nice.

My Mary bars and B17 are ready to pick up as well. I decided to get the B17. I may end up switching it but I felt like trying one out.

I will post pics tomorrow.

J

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Here are some pics.

My crappy camera does not do it justice. It looks great. The black has a bit of sparkle in it.

I am really happy with it. It is a great bike for the money and after my first ride I think this will be my bike of choice this summer. My only gripe is the 32-20 gearing.

J

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
32:20 is good for most trail riding around here - some - including me - have even dabbled with 32:22

Were you looking for a tougher gearing combo?

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It just felt a little soft to me when I took it for a spin. It might be a different story on the trails. I am going to try 32-17 and see how I like it. It is pretty flat around here and to be honest I have never really ridden any trails. So this is all new to me.

I am going to buy a few different cog sizes and see if I can find a fit.

J

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
sweet bike! i use a 32:20 (or 32:22) in the mountains, so if it's flat there you might wanna try a 32:18 or even 32:16.

after you get some rides on it, post a review of the brooks...i've always been curious myself!

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks. I am very happy with it. I just played hooky from work, put on the Mary bars, Brooks saddle, changed the rear cog to 17 and took off all the sweet reflectors. Now I just need some pegs :monkeydance:

I had my doubts about the Brooks but it looks great on the bike. I will post some feedback when I get a few rides in.

J

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice touch with those end caps.

Fiddle around with the angle of those Mary bars. I found them most comfy when they were sort of pointed down/angled towards the rear hub a bit.

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I will give that a try. I definitely need to spend some time on the bike and find my comfort zone with it. It feels great though. I am so glad I went with a 29er.

The end caps were left over from the bike I parted out this get this. I thought it would be a nice touch.

J

Esqo

Chimp
Jan 24, 2008
Hup, your Monocog looks great -- I've got the same one. Love the upgrades. I kinda wish the '08 model came in the old brown or green color but I'm getting used to the black and disco yellow.

So far my upgrades include a Titec H-Bar and Shimano PD-M647 pedals (best of both worlds so I can clip-in and clip-out ride). I plan to get a B-17 saddle. Hup I hope you dont mind but I may have to steal your idea and get those end caps -- looks great!

For your experts, I have a question. I'd like to upgrade the cranks. Does it make sense (fiscally and ride-wise) to buy Shimano XT's/XTR's or something comparable for the Moncog? I find it hard to justify spending upwards of $200 on cranks for a $500 bike. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good cranks?

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I felt the same about the colors but I am really digging the black now.

I got the end caps from Ride-This. They are made by Dangerboy.

I am no expert but I really like the look of the White Industries cranks. Not sure how strong they are but they look cool.

Post some pics of your ride. We should start a Monocog thread.

J

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
i got XTR M960 cranks off Ebay for less than 100 bucks shipped.
They look kinda wierd on the Monocog, but all is well. gotta get a bash ring next

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
For your experts, I have a question. I'd like to upgrade the cranks. Does it make sense (fiscally and ride-wise) to buy Shimano XT's/XTR's or something comparable for the Moncog? I find it hard to justify spending upwards of $200 on cranks for a $500 bike. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good cranks?
the shitmano XT cranks are easily some of the best value-for-dollar cranks out there...if not the best! i run them on several bikes and have never had an issue.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hup, your Monocog looks great -- I've got the same one. Love the upgrades. I kinda wish the '08 model came in the old brown or green color but I'm getting used to the black and disco yellow.

So far my upgrades include a Titec H-Bar and Shimano PD-M647 pedals (best of both worlds so I can clip-in and clip-out ride). I plan to get a B-17 saddle. Hup I hope you dont mind but I may have to steal your idea and get those end caps -- looks great!

Do the cranks that come stock suck that badly?

If you don't want to spend a ton, don't mind square taper bb, these might get the job done and wouldn't break the bank either.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/CLOSEOUT/CC-DEORE170CRANK

Slap on the SS chainring from the Monocog and ride on.

But maybe it might be worth it to just run the stock cranks into the ground first? not sure.

Esqo

Chimp
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for the rec, McG. No, the cranks arent that bad at all. Just wanted to upgrade for vanity purposes because I dig the blinged-out look of those Shimanos.

But perhaps you're right. Maybe I should just focus on riding for awhile.

:imstupid:

Esqo

Chimp
Jan 24, 2008
Finally got around to taking some pics of my '08 "Boogie Nights" Monocog. Here it is, upgraded with Titec Jones Bar on Thomson stem and Shimanos 647 pedals.

Attachments

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Nice. I took my out for the first time yesterday and got it dirty on one of the local trails. It was a blast to ride. I really enjoyed myself.

J