Quantcast

Safari for PC

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/06/11/safari.windows.ap/index.html

Apple Inc. launched a version of its Safari Web browser for Windows-based PCs on Monday, pitting it against Microsoft Corp.'s dominant Internet Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.

"What we've got here is the most innovative browser in the world and the most powerful browser in the world," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said during his keynote speech at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Safari, which was released a few years ago for Apple's Macintosh computers, has captured about 5 percent of the world's browser market share with more than 18 million users, Jobs said.

Internet Explorer, which is built into Windows, has a 78 percent share, while Firefox has rapidly climbed to gain about 15 percent of the market, he said. Like the other Web browsers, Safari is available at no charge.

Jobs claimed Safari performs twice as fast as its competitors.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not when it takes 2x as long to render pages.
Marketing bull****...a specialized example just like their tricks when they compared PowerPC to Intel. Intel were faster on average just not in a few specialized optimized photoshop filters.

Only a fool would take marketing at face value...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its pretty easy to make it as fast as you want with about:config and/or plugins anyways.

Firefox is mature and proven and already works great on various platforms. Websites are usually tested/optimized for IE and FF the two biggest players in the browser market. There is no reason for Apple to waste their money making a Windows version.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Marketing bull****...a specialized example just like their tricks when they compared PowerPC to Intel. Intel were faster on average just not in a few specialized optimized photoshop filters.

Only a fool would take marketing at face value...
whoa, I must have specialized tricks on my home computer, cool! :blah:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You'll love this.

My Safari has been whacked lately. Especially with sites I have to log on to (Not RM though). No help on the Apple discussions board... Those options don't show up in Safari.

I'm downloading it now with Firefox.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I haven't updated my QT since I'd need a new key for QT Pro. That must be stopping it.

Piss!
It just works :busted:

If you have boot camp you can install Quicktime Alternative in Windows and copy the key from the QT Pro copy they use to make that work (found in the preferences panel). That is if their key works with the regular PC or Mac Quicktime. Its worth a try :huh:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't do Windows.

I was just hoping to keep my "borrowed" key, but screw it, they'll be others...

Downloadin' the upgrade now.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
New search feature is neat in the new Safari... BUT it's way better on Firefox!