Quantcast

Saint m810 vs m820?

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I have been running a old dura ace rear on my dh bike for the last 2 years, got it for free from a friend. It works well but dosent seem to provide enough tension to limit chain slap. I am looking to replace it with either the saint m810 or m820 as i would like to keep it a short cage. Is the new saint shadow plus worth the extra cost? Any input would be great

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The new 820 saints are the clutch types which limit chain slap. Being a cheap bastard I put up with the chain slap if it works. The 820s are also 10 speed.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
The "plus" option is a huge benefit.

My TRc ran a XT Shadow derailleur and I lost the chain ALL the time. I dumped the front derailleur in favor of a chainguide so that the chain would at least stay on the ring.
When I built up my Mach 5.7c I went for a Zee derailleur(with 36t capacity and 25t wrap option) and it's been a real treat. My 5.7 can only be run with an upper cage style guide, no lower roller so there's more potential for chain slap/drop but the Zee has been working well especially for being a "pricepoint" derailleur.
You'll have to bump to 10speed to run Plus though

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The "plus" option is a huge benefit.

My TRc ran a XT Shadow derailleur and I lost the chain ALL the time. I dumped the front derailleur in favor of a chainguide so that the chain would at least stay on the ring.
When I built up my Mach 5.7c I went for a Zee derailleur(with 36t capacity and 25t wrap option) and it's been a real treat. My 5.7 can only be run with an upper cage style guide, no lower roller so there's more potential for chain slap/drop but the Zee has been working well especially for being a "pricepoint" derailleur.
You'll have to bump to 10speed to run Plus though
that's weird. I've had no problems with chains/dropping on any of the three (xt, xtr, saint) shadow derialleurs I've run.

Check out kidwoo's recent opinion piece on 10 speed clutch derialleurs. Apparently they're awesome, as long as you have the time to pick out a chain and then special order links from another manufacturer and don't mind replacing them semi annually.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I run clutch derailleurs on my trail bikes and they are fantastic. I don't run them on my DH bike, mostly due to cost and, for whatever reason, less chain slap on the big bike.