Quantcast

Sam Brown R.I.P.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You keep overlooking that the pot IS illegal, and conservatively speaking that much pot has a value of in excess of $500k
that could be a pretty close price actually. $1400-1500/lb isnt too far off if you were to get 350 lbs...but thats only okay weed.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Yea, imagine that people fly helicopters loaded with bales of a literal *weed* over international borders only to be chased by men in black suburbans who have assault rifles. And the whole goal of the men is to keep that plant off the streets so some dude doesn't eat 4 cheeseburgers instead of 1.

Its too bad a talented trail builder was caught up in this.

or anybody for that matter.
you really have no idea what you are talking about. having been there..it's not JUST WEED. this case might be weed, but usually a lot more comes in with it. There is a lot that goes on that does not make it into the news.. a lot of these drug deals contain other things as well, weapons, dirty/fake cash, heavier drug substances, aliens, terrorists.. There is way more than meets the eye when it comes to these things. Little reports like this, even the news.. you have to take with a grain of salt. Anything political or dealing with federal law enforcement... the news is usually a very small part of the actual story, swayed opinion or flat out fake. Sure he had a section in NWD III... but he made a series of poor choices and got involved with something serious. No ifs, ands or buts about it.. he paid the price and should have used his head. definitely not a tragedy.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
that could be a pretty close price actually. $1400-1500/lb isnt too far off if you were to get 350 lbs...but thats only okay weed.
500k?

dude, that pot was probably closer to 3k a pound, more than likely bringing the street value closer to $1M, if not easily over that.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
This gets better and better.

Machine was leased to Gorge Timber 4 days before the episode

Here is the last 15 leasers. This machine was registered to these guys for 4 day's prior to this happening. I would say this is an eagle machine.

SLITPIN As for all the typing on my behalf i just find it interesting that it took 36 hrs minimum to report it stolen. Maybe they new it was gone and why it was gone.

1 Bell 206B 1781 Certificate of Registration 2009-02-19 Gorge Timber Corp 2009-02-19
2 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 2009-02-19 Trans North Turbo Air Limited 2007-05-14
3 Bell 206B 1781 Certificate of Registration 2007-05-14 Trans North Turbo Air Limited 2007-05-14
4 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 2007-03-21 Airborne Energy Solutions Ltd. 2006-05-23
5 Bell 206B 1781 Certificate of Registration 2006-05-23 Airborne Energy Solutions Ltd. 2006-05-23
6 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 2006-05-23 Great Slave Helicopters Ltd 2005-09-12
7 Bell 206B 1781 Certificate of Registration 2005-09-12 Great Slave Helicopters Ltd 2005-09-12
8 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 2005-09-12 Nunasi Helicopters Inc. 2001-07-27
9 Bell 206B 1781 Certificate of Registration 2001-07-27 Nunasi Helicopters Inc. 2001-07-27
10 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 2001-07-27 Eagle Copters Ltd 2001-05-28
11 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 2001-05-28 2822636 Canada Inc. 1999-07-28
12 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 1999-07-28 2822636 Canada Inc. 1996-05-16
13 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 1993-06-14 Northern Mountain Helicopters - -
14 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 1992-06-09 Canadian Helicopters Limited - -
15 Bell 206B 1781 Cancel C of R 1988-05-02 Coast Operations Of Canada Ltd - -
***Historical Information, directly from the Official Canadian Civil Aircraft Register database.***

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
not a tragedy.

Ok. In this case we are talking about weed. Not all the other taboos that follow it. These guys weren't trading 1/2 pounds for glocks (as far as we know)
In my opinion no bag of weed is worth all this trouble. I don't smoke it anymore because I refuse to support these industries & the price is so damn inflated.
I've been there too and maybe I get worked up about it because I can relate.
The media is horse sh!t. I read an article the other day rating the USA 54 out of 160 or so countries for freedom of media.(sorry I can't find the link) I'll never assume what I'm reading is the straight truth.
Anyone who dies in this 'industry' is a seriously lost soul and it is tragic (imo)

I think smuggling is retarded and by no means am I rooting for these people to succeed. However, I think that the reasons smuggling exist are even more retarded than the smugglers themselves.

I know I have some pretty wild opinions and I'm not the best at conveying them on these boards. I appreciate it when people can challenge them with respect and not be asses. (so thanks)

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Ok. In this case we are talking about weed. Not all the other taboos that follow it. These guys weren't trading 1/2 pounds for glocks (as far as we know)
In my opinion no bag of weed is worth all this trouble. I don't smoke it anymore because I refuse to support these industries & the price is so damn inflated.
I've been there too and maybe I get worked up about it because I can relate.
The media is horse sh!t. I read an article the other day rating the USA 54 out of 160 or so countries for freedom of media.(sorry I can't find the link) I'll never assume what I'm reading is the straight truth.
Anyone who dies in this 'industry' is a seriously lost soul and it is tragic (imo)

I think smuggling is retarded and by no means am I rooting for these people to succeed. However, I think that the reasons smuggling exist are even more retarded than the smugglers themselves.

I know I have some pretty wild opinions and I'm not the best at conveying them on these boards. I appreciate it when people can challenge them with respect and not be asses. (so thanks)
Ya, it is horrible when someone young with talent dies and it's too bad he was part of our riding world...but that's the world he chose to take part in. It was "just weed" but there's no telling what the DEA thought might be there as well. In fact, the DEA does nothing but process paperwork for "other groups" which do all the work. Drugs that come into this country are very frequently packed in with pretty much anything...bricks of weed could have arms, a lot of the times they come in booby trapped. I personally don't have a problem with weed but the whole drugs/arms/aliens smuggling is a pretty dangerous dirty world. My best friend, who might as well be my brother works for an undercover unit pretty high up with homeland security and let me tell you...some ****ed up **** happens, stuff you wouldn't believe, stuff that movies are made of...I've seen a lot of it myself and a lot of **** I'm glad I haven't seen. The kid might have only been involved with the transport of just weed...but he stole a freakin helicopter and no one really knows what else was going on... and we won't find out. All I'm saying is that to get involved in that world on either side, you know what you are getting into and their are no tragedies unless civilians not involved get killed.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
500k?

dude, that pot was probably closer to 3k a pound, more than likely bringing the street value closer to $1M, if not easily over that.
if he was spending $3k/lb for 350lbs then he is a amateur and he should have crashed the choppa....and i dont care if its from BC, DC, BX or NYC...

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
...but he stole a freakin helicopter and no one really knows what else was going on... and we won't find out. All I'm saying is that to get involved in that world on either side, you know what you are getting into and their are no tragedies unless civilians not involved get killed.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but based on what we're learning about the chopper, I am not so sure he stole it. Sounds more like he was put up to the task by someone who had leased it. Someone with a history of smuggling, that is. Maybe he was an impressionable kid, sort of a pawn, or maybe he was more sophisticated/ambitious and hoped to take the torch and run with it. Regardless, at the end of the day he is responsible for his own choices and I agree it's not tragic, just sad.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
If pot wasn't illegal and worth so much damn money kids wouldn't be getting the action movie eyes over this bullsh!t. It is ridiculous and created artificially, by the likes of the DEA and similar agencies.

moot point. the item being transported illegally is not the issue, it's the fact that this kid was willing to commit the illegal act in the first place. earning money illegally is not commendable no matter how much or how, period.

if it wasn't pot it would be coke or heroine or X or..........

"i mean..it's just weed"

sad story for a seemingly promising kid but....you make your bed..

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
RCMP, U.S. DEA bust drug smuggling ring linked to death of Revelstoke man

By Aaron Orlando - Revelstoke Times Review

Published: March 24, 2009 12:00 PM
Updated: March 24, 2009 1:20 PM

Seven Canadian men and one American man are facing smuggling-related charges after the RCMP and U.S. DEA have disrupted a major marijuana-for-cocaine smuggling ring with links to the Malakwa area. The operation, which involved multiple Canadian and U.S. law enforcement agencies, was named Operation Blade Runner.

The RCMP say they have seized two helicopters, 83 kilograms of cocaine, 340 kilograms of marijuana and 9 pounds of ecstasy.

The RCMP say the investigation started after Utah police seized 87 kilograms of cocaine and arrested one Canadian and one American man during a traffic stop on an unspecified date. Police say as a result of that stop investigators targeted a remote site near Colville, Washington.

On Feb. 23, 2009, 24-year-old Sam Brown of Revelstoke, B.C. was arrested by U.S. authorities while trying to offload 350 kilograms of marijuana from a helicopter at that site.

The helicopter and marijuana were seized and Brown was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver an was held in the Spokane County Jail where he was found dead in his cell on Feb. 27.

An official from the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s office said that autopsy reports indicate Lindsay-Brown hanged himself in his jail cell on the afternoon of Feb. 27 using a bed sheet.

RCMP say further intelligence led them to believe another helicopter was going to be transporting marijuana and a large amount of the drug ecstasy to the U.S. On Mar. 5, a 29-year-old Kelowna man was arrested in Idaho by U.S. authorities. Police seized 78 kilograms of marijuana at that time.

The RCMP say this led to a "rapid exchange" of information between Canadian and U.S. authorities in order to allow the RCMP to surveil a site near Nelson, B.C. where that helicopter had departed from.

Through surveillance, the RCMP arrested a 20-year-old and a 48-year-old at that site. Both of the males are from Chilliwack, B.C.

They say the men were on the way back to pick up the remainder of the drugs that had been left in the helicopter landing zone. An additional 68 kilograms of marijuana and 40,000 ecstasy tablets were seized.

Following those arrests, RCMP then raided two hotel rooms and a storage trailer in Nelson, B.C. where a loaded handgun was seized.

Following this development, the RCMP and US DEA shared further intelligence and the RCMP then executed a search warrant on the residence of a 37-year-old male in Malakwa on Mar. 5. He was arrested without incident.

Police executed another search warrant at the home of a 35-year-old Salmon Arm man where they found three handguns, one shotgun and a rifle, which were all seized. The RCMP eventually located that man in the Kamloops area and arrested him on Mar. 5, 2009.

Another man, 35-year-old Sean Doak was arrested in connection with the investigation. He was on parole at the time of his arrest and his parole has been revoked.

Three of the seven Canadian men have been released and are awaiting court dates, while the 48-year-old man arrested at the helicopter departure site near Nelson is being held and is facing extradition to the U.S.

The 29-year-old from Kelowna has had a court appearance but remains in a U.S. federal institution in Idaho.

The other two arrested in Utah remain there in U.S. custody.

“This international investigation reveals just how seamless American and Canadian Law Enforcement work together in an effort to combat Criminal Organizations operating between the two countries,” said RCMP Staff Sergeant Dave Goddard.

Law enforcement authorities say the dismantling of the operation was made possible due to cross-border cooperation between the RCMP South-East Drug Section, the RCMP Integrated Border Integrity Team, the US Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as cooperation from special units such as Customs and Excise in Nelson, the South-East District Criminal Intelligence Service and the RCMP detachments in Sicamous and Salmon Arm.

The RCMP say the investigation is continuing.

A joint RCMP and U.S. DEA press conference in Seattle, Washington was scheduled for the morning of Mar. 25. The Revelstoke Times Review is working with our sister publication the Bellevue Reporter to provide coverage of this press conference.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's another article with slightly more details. a Bell Jet Ranger and a Robinson R22, both seized.

Authorities seize helicopter in drug ring bust

12:56 PM PDT on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
By KING5.com Staff

SEATTLE - Federal authorities have arrested nine people, seized 600 pounds of marijuana and nearly 200 pounds of cocaine from a drug ring that used helicopters to smuggle the contraband across the U.S.-Canadian border.

Four of the arrests came in Washington, Idaho and Utah. Five people were arrested in Canada.

Operation Blade Runner began with a Feb. 21, 2009 traffic stop by the Utah Highway Patrol in Salt Lake City. Ross Legge, 53, of Alberta, BC and Leonard Ferris, 50, of Las Vegas, Nev., were arrested with 83 kilos of cocaine.

One of the men had been identified by law enforcement in connection with an ecstasy smuggling ring prosecuted in the Western District of Washington last year. Law enforcement was able to determine the cocaine had been destined for a location in Eastern Washington where it was to be loaded onto a helicopter in exchange for a load of B.C. Bud marijuana.

When the Bell 200 Jet Ranger helicopter touched down outside of Ione, Wash., law enforcement was waiting. Officers seized the helicopter and 426 pounds of marijuana. Agents arrested Samuel Lindsey-Brown, 24, of Revelstoke, B.C. Lindsey-Brown committed suicide Feb. 27, 2009, at the Spokane County Jail.

Six days later, the group attempted another exchange of drugs. A Robinson R22 helicopter landed in North Idaho. The pilot, Jeremy Snow, 29, of Kelowna, B.C., was arrested and the helicopter and 174 pounds of marijuana were seized.

In Canada, the RCMP located the helicopter takeoff site and arrested two men, ages 48 and 20, from Chilliwack, B.C. and seized 150 pounds of marijuana and 40,000 ecstasy pills. Additional search warrants were served in Nelson, Salmon Arm, and Malakwa, B.C. Officers seized six guns and arrested a 37-year-old resident of Malakwa, a 35-year-old resident of Salmon Arm, and a 35-year-old man from Chilliwack.

"This case demonstrates the coordinated efforts required to ensure the integrity of our borders," said United States Attorney Jeffrey C. Sullivan. "The sharing of information between law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and Canada is critical to stopping the flow of drugs going both north and south. This drug trade fuels violence in both our countries."

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Uh....wat?

Article said:
The RCMP say they have seized two helicopters, 83 kilograms of cocaine, 340 kilograms of marijuana and 9 pounds of ecstasy.

The RCMP say the investigation started after Utah police seized 87 kilograms of cocaine and arrested one Canadian and one American man during a traffic stop on an unspecified date. Police say as a result of that stop investigators targeted a remote site near Colville, Washington.

On Feb. 23, 2009, 24-year-old Sam Brown of Revelstoke, B.C. was arrested by U.S. authorities while trying to offload 350 kilograms of marijuana from a helicopter at that site.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Damn...new world order! NEW WORLD ORDER!!! Governments cooperating, law enforcement efforts crossing borders...NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!! These helos arent black, are they?

Gotta go get my tinfoil hat out of the cleaners...be back soon. If they dont get me first.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Uh....wat?

CROSS-BORDER CRACKDOWN

Operation Blade Runner was a joint effort between U.S. and Canadian police, started up this past December, targeting what officials say was a marijuana-for-cocaine smuggling operation between B.C. and the northwestern United States. So far, two helicopters and hundreds of pounds of drugs have been seized and nine men have been arrested.

FEB. 21, 2009

1. Utah highway patrol officers pull over Ross Legge, 53, of Alberta and Leonard Ferris, 50, of Las Vegas, near Salt Lake City.

Police say the men were arrested with 83 kilograms of cocaine. They're still in custody.

Feb. 23, 2009

2. Samuel Lindsey-Brown, a 24-year-old man from Revelstoke, B.C., is arrested in Colville National Forest, near Ione, Wash. He'd landed in a Bell 200 Jet Ranger helicopter and was trying to offload 193 kilograms of B.C. marijuana, police said. The helicopter had earlier been reported stolen to the RCMP by a man from Malakwa, a town nestled in the B.C. Shuswaps.

Feb. 27, 2009

3. Mr. Lindsey-Brown commits suicide in the Spokane County Jail, reportedly hanging himself with his bed sheet from the light fixture, according to local media. He had not been on a suicide watch.

MARCH 5, 2009

U.S. officials, acting on "intelligence information," intercept a Robinson R22 helicopter landing in North Idaho, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Jeremy Snow, a 29-year-old Kelowna man, is arrested and found with 79 kilograms of marijuana, police say.

4. American authorities get in touch with the RCMP, who go to_Crawford Bay, the site where the chopper first took off, and_arrest a 48-year-old man and a 20-year-old man, both of Chilliwack. The men were on their way back to meet the helicopter, police allege, and were found with 64 kilograms of marijuana and 40,000 ecstasy tablets.

5. The RCMP begin to piece together the operation, and arrest the 37-year-old man in Malakwa who'd reported the Bell helicopter stolen. Police allege his helicopter was used by Mr. Lindsey-Brown the month earlier. Also arrested that day is Sean Doak, 35, a Chilliwack man said to have been 6. involved; a second 35-year-old Salmon Arm man is arrested in Kamloops.

MARCH 6, 2009

7. The RCMP carry out search warrants on hotel rooms and a storage trailer in use by the two men, seizing one gun.

YESTERDAY

Police announce the bust of the ring.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090325.BCBUST25/TPStory/National

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
It just goes to show you, take a talented kid, he likes having fun, and doesn't want to get a real job making money, he wants to cash in and not have to get up in the morning and work. ANYONE can sell drugs to make their money. Most chose not to. Police seized guns. Hello! Wake up people. We all know pot ain't that big of deal but lets face it, other stuff, comes into play, coke, extacy, and guns mean killing. The guy didn't want to work, he could have got a job flying helicopters for the police or any other field and made more than I make and he's half my age. He paid to play. I'm sure he was a nice kid, but it's no excuse for drug trafficing. If he was a nice kid, what's the gun for, just for show? Who knows if he would have used it. If he had faced his own punishment, he would have got ten years, been out in five and been riding in B.C. by 29 on his mountainbike. It's a shame, but it shows, he wasn't the person people thought he was. He had a secret. He threw his life away, and for what. Dope.

As to boostendoubles, the comment that he doesn't do it anymore because it's too expensive, all one needs to do is plant one seed and grow your own indoors. Five plants, a grow light by day, and turn it off at night, plenty for smokin. Don't leave the grow light on at night. Night time overhead heliCOPters with infared can see the glow light heat coming out of your house windows and lead them right too you.

Last edited:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
dime bags in the ghetto don't count...
people that think they should have some guns while carrying such a small amount of dirt weed, need to shoot themselves
When you grow up, you'll realize that those dime bags come from larger portions smuggled/grown/distributed by guys with guns, and they will KILL to protect their product.

In Orange County, CA... just one town away from 'Coto de Casa' (very affluent area where real housewives of OC was filmed): they found a grow spot near a McMansion area... complete with tents and guns.

Not a Ghetto... not somewhere 90% of us here could afford to live. Yet there is Pot and guns!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
dime bags in the ghetto don't count...
people that think they should have some guns while carrying such a small amount of dirt weed, need to shoot themselves
mhmm..'cause there's no correlation to the high violent crime rate in the hood and drugs. nope...none at all :rolleyes:

i guess you've never heard of dealers robbing dealers before?

btw, our biggest drug/gun busts have been on the rich side of the tracks. the ghetto is just more openly violent than a street named "Laurel Bluff Terrace"

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Close to being bumped to PaWN?

If i remember right in order to be consistent with the argument i raised before, more emphasis and $$ could be spent to root causes of drug abuse and addiction versus a military stance which does little but perpetuate the problem.

Look at it like this, you have government officials doing an effective job, it does NOTHING to effect demand for the product. But since the demand is still there, costs go up, and with it the stakes.

You have to work on the demand otherwise we as tax paying citizens are all pissing up a rope.

Hopefully this is a rational summary of why the war on drugs is an oversimplistic failure.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Do you think Sam could have handled 4 years? He'd been out before he was 30...

Drug-smuggling Canadian pilot pleads guilty

Updated Tue. Jun. 23 2009 4:31 PM ET

The Associated Press

SEATTLE -- A Canadian helicopter pilot busted as he landed in the United States with 150 pounds (68 kilograms) of marijuana has pleaded guilty.

Jeremy Snow entered the guilty plea Tuesday in federal court in Seattle to a charge of possession with intent to distribute. His lawyer, Richard Troberman, says he and the government agreed to recommend a sentence of just under four years.

Snow was arrested March 5 as he landed in northern Idaho as part of "Operation Blade Runner," a joint U.S.-Canadian takedown of a drug-smuggling ring that had been operating for more than a year.

A helicopter pilot arrested the previous week committed suicide in the Spokane County Jail after being caught trying to land in northeastern Washington's Colville National Forest with 426 pounds (193 kilograms) of marijuana.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I cant believe I read this thread. How retarded are some of you?

It's the DEA's fault that an international drug smuggler killed himself after being arrested?

Oh, but he was in an MTB video once, so clearly he was one of the good guys :rolleyes: