Quantcast

Same old same old at the Kingdom

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A few of us monkeys combined forces with a SMBA group at Kingdom Trails this weekend. Our original plan was to book the usual monkey lodge, but do to a last minute snafu with the reservations, Treesaw had to scramble to find us another place to crash. She found us a four bedroom condo that comfortably slept the 12 of us.

MBC and I rolled into town around 2:00, got the condo key, unpacked, and headed out for a ride. Brand new monkey Dave_os met us outside the condo and joined us for a ride. Dave lives in London and was in Boston for a conference, so he decided to rent a bike and join our gathering. I had a hard time getting enough distance between him and myself to get any action pics. This is the best I could do:

We rode for about 2.5 hours then headed back to the condo for beer and food. The condo is on the mountain, so MBC got to enjoy the climb back up.

Dave and I drove to the top of the toll road to take some scenery pics. We had to climb this tower to get pics:

Scenery:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Monkeys heading up East Darling Hill Road for our Saturday ride (gsweet, Earl, SMBA guy Andrew)

Peak foliage.

Johnnyru

gsweet on the brand spankin new Transition

Treesaw

MBC battling mud on Jaws.

MBC on East Branch.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC and I headed back from the ride a little earlier than the rest of the gang (only four hours for us). Just after we got to the car, the rain came. It rained the rest of the day and most of the night.

We made a 6:00 beer and pizza reservation at the Trout River Brewery. Treeaw and Earl had never eaten there and were looking forward to it. BadDNA and the Mrs drove from Lake Champlain for the day and joined us for dinner.

Dave_os enjoying the Trout River sampler. It looks like gsweet has the nitro oatmeal stout here?

Gary, Andrew and Nate with another sampler. This sampler lasted about 14 seconds. :D

werd

I remember something aout eating pizza that night too.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Treesaw made sure we had plenty of Luna samples. :D

Sunday morning we rode down some of the Burke Mountain trails. HOORAY shuttling!

View from about half way up.

Nate, Andrew, mysef, MBC waiting for shuttle #2 to arrive.

We had to cruise down the toll road a bit to get to the trail. It's hardto see here ,but Nate's rotor was steaming from heat.

Dave_os on Upper Dead Moose Alley.

MBC not far behind.

We crossed over the toll road to Enchanted Forest.
Nate:

Rare EARL sighting.

Dave:

Andrew passes a turtle:

Enchanted Forest pretty much lead to the back porch of the condo. MBC packed it up and headed home after this ride.

Awesome, awesome weekend. The SMBA guys were all really cool and friendly, and it was nice to meet a couple of new monkeys. I can't thank Treesaw enough for all her hard work in finding us lodging and cooking us food. THANK YOU, Treesaw!!

So when is the next gathering?

Taffy

Chimp
Oct 8, 2007
Delmar, NY
Hi guys and gals. Thanks for organizing such a great weekend at KT. I don't know your Monkey ride names, but thanks again. I look forward to the next trip.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice pics, I have said it a billion times before but I mean it. I AM COMING OUT THERE SOME YEAR TO RIDE.

splat

Nam I am
The owner of Milford bikes and 2 other guys! We got shuttled to the toll road pavillion and they were there unloading. We chatted and figured out who they were. Then we talked about you an TurnerGrl!
yeah I went to MIlford Bike to pick up my Bike which Jeff was suppose to have ready , only to be told he was up in VT. I was wondering if he was up that way. Mean while My Bike wasn't ready :rant:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
yeah I went to MIlford Bike to pick up my Bike which Jeff was suppose to have ready , only to be told he was up in VT. I was wondering if he was up that way. Mean while My Bike wasn't ready :rant:
Now that you mention it, MBC noticed that he rides the same bike as you. Hmmmm......perhaps your bike was more ready than you think. :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
How many days could one spend at Kingdom Trails if they rode a lot?
I guess it depends on how much you want to ride the same trails. Someone at your level will be able to hit most of the trails in two days. Three days would be enough to do pretty much everything.

Personally, I could spend a week there and not get bored, but I am not all that fast and am easily entertained. :D MBC and I are seriously thinking about a five day trip there next year and spend a day hitting some of the breweries on the other side of the state. We're thinking about a Thursday to Monday type deal. We want to plan it SOON since it's getting harder to book lodging there.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I guess it depends on how much you want to ride the same trails. Someone at your level will be able to hit most of the trails in two days. Three days would be enough to do pretty much everything.

Personally, I could spend a week there and not get bored, but I am not all that fast and am easily entertained. :D MBC and I are seriously thinking about a five day trip there next year and spend a day hitting some of the breweries on the other side of the state. We're thinking about a Thursday to Monday type deal.
I could be interested in that...depending on timing and money and other trips. Let's discuss further as plans get thought about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Personally, I could spend a week there and not get bored, but I am not all that fast and am easily entertained. :D MBC and I are seriously thinking about a five day trip there next year and spend a day hitting some of the breweries on the other side of the state. We're thinking about a Thursday to Monday type deal. We want to plan it SOON since it's getting harder to book lodging there.

I think we hit about every trail in the lower section in one day. But they were fun enough that I went back and re-rode sections like sidewinder multiple times. I would have been happy to ride all the same trails again the second day.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think we hit about every trail in the lower section in one day. But they were fun enough that I went back and re-rode sections like sidewinder multiple times. I would have been happy to ride all the same trails again the second day.
We got a brewery map. There's like six of them on the western side of VT. Magic Hat, Otter Creek, Long Trail, etc. We tried to stop at Harpoon on the way home but they were having a huge Octoberfest event and we didn't have that kind of time. Wait....didn't you ask about that?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, I was told I need to ride Ellicotville or something like that too so I don't want to ride stuff twice...it would be little tour of sorts! WOOHOO new beer

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
How many days could one spend at Kingdom Trails if they rode a lot?
My Labor day trip (and 3rd trip up there this year):
day 1= 20 miles
day 2= 25 miles
day 3 = 10 miles, plus a 3 hour hike & trip to LG outlet.
day 4 = almost 45 miles
day 5 =Hit Millstone on the way home which is 1 1/4 hours away for 15 more miles.

That ride missed several good ones, plus there's a couple new ones now.

Plus theres all of the mooses & J-Bar & connecting trails, the entire white school section, the pump track, and the 2 freerdie/DH trails

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My Labor day trip (and 3rd trip up there this year):
day 1= 20 miles
day 2= 25 miles
day 3 = 10 miles, plus a 3 hour hike & trip to LG outlet.
day 4 = almost 45 miles
day 5 =Hit Millstone on the way home which is 1 1/4 hours away for 15 more miles.

That ride missed several good ones, plus there's a couple new ones now.

Plus theres all of the mooses & J-Bar & connecting trails, the entire white school section, the pump track, and the 2 freerdie/DH trails

I wasn't sure if we hit them all or not. My point was really that the trails were so fun riding them multiple times was still fun, in fact being familiar witht he right line made them more fun.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I wasn't sure if we hit them all or not. My point was really that the trails were so fun riding them multiple times was still fun, in fact being familiar witht he right line made them more fun.

no doubt...every KT trip I always ride sidewinder, old webs, & Kitchel at least twice! And J-bar has been added to the list as of last trip.

How was Millstone? :confused:
some good stuff there, cool views, some easy stuff some pretty techy. I like that they have 3 loops marked (easy, medium, advanced) so you can follow that, or do you own thing with using their map. its kind of smba'ish there but with quarries/places to swim

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
There was a photographer taking pictures for "a mountain bike magazine" on Sidewinder when we rode on Saturday. He took a photo of Isa after the ride on Sunday, but didn't tell us which magazine he was shooting for. Apparently, there is going to be a big feature about the KT in a magazine soon.