Quantcast

Samsung S8?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I seem to recall some of you here have it. I'm eligible for an upgrade, and my carrier has it on boxing week sale for free at the moment.

I don't like cases for my phones. I'm happy to run a glass screen protector, but hate the bulk of a full case. I don't care if the back gets scratched.

Those of you who have it, would you run it without a case? How do you like those curved edges?

I was thinking of waiting for the forthcoming LG G7, but if the S8 is robust enough, I could be swayed to live with it for a couple of years...

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Had the S7 edge, and preferred a case and belt clip for it. My case came in late and i was on my way to pick it up and thats the day i dropped my phone and cracked the back glass. Screen was fine. You just never know. Actually i left it on my roof becuase im a forgetful ass and was looking for my work id. Found my id but forgot i set my phone on the roof, went around a right hand turn and saw it fling off. Fast forward a few months and lost it on the bottom of the Salt river.

Moarle of the story- dont be me.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a thin "case" on my S8, barely noticeable, mostly for a better grip. It is a great phone, I don't think there's a better Android choice at this point.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
note8 survived another rooftop ejection....thanks otterbox!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just got my v30+. I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the audio. The quad dac is the real deal. (But that is what i bought the phone for). Super happy right now...
if that had come out earlier....would have gotten...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just got my v30+. I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the audio. The quad dac is the real deal. (But that is what i bought the phone for). Super happy right now...
When you say audio quality, do you mean with headphones plugged in? What format does it play, does it make standard streaming music sound better?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not a direct answer, but I have been using an S5 Active for a few years now, no case, and it's surviving very nicely...
I've had my S6 Active a couple of years and my wife has had her S7 Active ~18months. Nice not to need a case and to have a waterproof phone.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
When you say audio quality, do you mean with headphones plugged in? What format does it play, does it make standard streaming music sound better?
It is a quad digital-analog converter, far and away the best on the market. Plays FLAC and other lossless files (which is not possible with bluetooth). Expandable memory up to one Terrabyte. Headphone plug. Will run high impedence headphones. Yes, standard streaming formats sound as good as they possibly can.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a note8. the only reason i got the note was that allegedly 7.1.1 was better than 7.0 which is on the s8.

I LOVE this phone. It's super fast, zero glitches, and has all the features that I want. It's a little big, sticks out of my pockets and shit. Way better than the Note 2 I had, and a nice improvement over the iPhone 6 apple killed with ios11. I run an elago minimalist case on mine and I like it quite a bit. I hate the feel of a bulky case but didn't want to carry such an expensive device without it. It probably won't protect in a drop but it's good for scratches. I run a glass protector but they aren't great for the note- mine collects dust in the lenses because the sticky part isn't thick enough....hard to explain. Also, I thought all these phones were water resistant to like 50ft?

I wanted the v30 but the screen issues killed it for me. Samsung was a better deal. The DAC is great if you are listening to lossless files, but it's not going to do a ton to improve on shitty streaming services. I've read that the snapdragon chip does a pretty good job with music conversion, so the dac is great for audiophiles, but not a large upgrade for normal people listening to pandora or soundcloud.