Quantcast

SanDiego mtbikng club?

mmmt

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
sandiego/UTC
I just moved to SD/UTC area. looking for info on local trails/roads. I ride a 5-6in FS ride, prefer mostly singletracks/technical rocky terrain.
Mucho gracias for any tips, infor. Is there a cool, fun bike club in the area?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Pegboy used to have a fight club but it's so gay.

I'm riding this weekend somewhere in the Southeast county.. drop me a PM if you're interested..late afternoon possibly due to hi temps out there.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There are group rides hosted by local shops; I think the former Mission Cyclery (now a Performance) leads some good ones. You might PM Alf; I think he works there.

Bicycle Warehouse in Pac Beach might do group rides, too, and is close to you.

Local to you, there's San Clemente Canyon/Marion Bear Park just south of Rt 52 for a quick local ride. Mostly smooth singletrack, but a fun way to spend an hour. There's some technical stuff east of San Diego along I-8; Anderson Truck Trail and Noble Canyon being the most popular. Noble is kind of the classic ride here; can be shuttled or climbed (both road and singletrack climb routes) and is a hell of a fun, flowy technical descent. Lake Morena is further out on the 8 and has some fun singletrack as well. There's good stuff in Orange County, too...San Juan trail, for one. Mt Wilson in Pasadena shouldn't be missed, either.

These are the classic SoCal rides; you might also look into Lake Hodges and Daley Ranch (never been to either, but they're local favorites for some).

Big Bear has Snow Summit resort with chairlifts, Rim Nordic XC area with relatively techy singletrack, and a few other fun rides like Grout Bay trail and Santa Ana River Trail (I'm told it's fun, anyhow, never ridden it) in the general area.

First rule of SoCal riding: Be prepared to drive to the trail!

PM/post if you're looking to ride anything in particular. Look up San Diego Mountain Bike Association for more info; email Mark@sdmba.com or PM him as BullitX on the board. There's also a site called "mountain bike bill" or some such that has a really comprehensive review of trails in SoCal and elsewhere. mtbr.com has some vaguely useful user reviews as well.

-MD