Quantcast

Santa Cruz Heckler Q's

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Hey guys,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Heckler in the next month or two. I ride mostly fire roads and beckcountry trails (lots of up and down hills, but not "DOWNHILL"). My current bike is a Trek 4500 and its just not cutting it anymore. I read lots of reviews on the heckler and it seems like a solid bike for just about any kind of riding. What I would like is your opinion on the bike and its fit with my type of riding. Also, what would be my best bet in terms of rear shocks? Im looking at the "complete heckler w/ X9 AM kit" (2699.00) from SPEEDGOAT. Is SPEEDGOAT a good company to buy from? Is the anodized worth the extra 100.00.

To summerize questions:

1. Is the heckler right for my kind of riding (fire trails and backcountry up and down hills)
2. What would be my best bet in terms of rear shock options?
3. Im thinking about the "complete heckler with X9 AM kit", is this a good choice?
X9 AM kit includes:
Headset: Cane Creek S3
Seatpost: Thomson
Saddle: WTB Pure V Stealth
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M760A
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 long cage
Shifters: SRAM X9 triggers
Crankset: TruVativ Stylo Team 22-32-44
Bottom-bracket: Giga X Drive
Cassette: SRAM PG980 11-34
Chain: SRAM PC 971
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 w/ 185mm rotors
Brake Levers: Included
Bars: RaceFace Atlas low riser
Stem: RaceFace Evolve XC
Grips: Lizard Skin Lock On
Wheelset: DT 5.1d rims to DT 340 hubs with DT 14/15g spokes
Tires: Kenda Nevegal
Tubes: Kenda Freeride
(not included, but comes with compete bike: Fox 32 Float 140 RLC fork)

4. Is SPEEDGOAT a good company to deal with?

CHEERS :banana:

Rod

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
From my experience...
1) the Heckler is a good, all-around trail bike. It might be a bit much bike for you, but it might also be perfect for you.

2) not sure - what are the options? RP3 or 5th Element Air would be great... you probably don't need a coil spring though, unless you prefer the feel of a coil

3) I don't know the details of the build, but I'm sure it's fine

4) YES. They are a real shop in PA with tremendous service. Their prices aren't the best, but they are more than competitive.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Sorry, the options are FOX: Rp3, Float R, DHX air, DHX coil. If you have any other suggestions that would fit my riding (like the 5th element suggested above) that would be great as well.

:cheers:

Rod

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Sorry, the options are FOX: Rp3, Float R, DHX air, DHX coil. If you have any other suggestions that would fit my riding (like the 5th element suggested above) that would be great as well.

Rod
I have no experience with it, but from all that I've read/heard, the DHX is THE shock to run for trailbikes. But I don't think you could go wrong with an RP3. I have a 5th air on my trailbike (Yeti 575) and I love it.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I'll start off with saying Speedgoat is a wonderful shop and if you live anywhere near them you should pay a visit.

Anodizing is extremely difficult to scratch; however, I have one friends whose sweat seems to effect it. I think he just has some serious voodoo going on and would think the $100 is worth it.

You'll be getting a bike with a whole lot of travel, if you don't do many drops or ride trails with lots of rough downhills a less aggressive bike might suit you well. Personally, I have the older version of the Heckler and it has been reliable since 99 with several 24hr relay races and all kinds of miles. That said I have come to realize a 29er fits my current mode of riding better (I've relocated) and hope to get one soon.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hmmm........is your riding more cross country in nature? Do you get air at all, or ride super steep terrain? A Heckler might be more travel than you need and therefore a bit heavier. Why not look into the tried and true Superlight in Santa Cruz's line up and compare it with the Heckler to see which would be better suited to your needs.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
I'll go ahead and take some pics of the trails I ride and post 'em up later on tonight (wait till you guys see this REDICULOUS down hill cousre some crazies built, seriously I dont see how anyone could live through it). I do ride some rutty/silty downhills and they do get fairly steep (sometimes). I do LOVE my uphills! I want to progress in my riding, so thats why I was looking to get more travel all around. Im not really concerned about the weight because my 4500 weighs 35pds right now and most hecklers I've seen are at or below 35pds. I've looked at the superlight, but I only want to buy one bike thats capable of growing with me as I progress.

Keep the suggestions comming, I really appreciate them!

Rod

mrpips

Chimp
Oct 6, 2006
Newcastle Australia
Go the Heckler. It's a great bike for anyone that rides trails.

Bit heavy for an XC racer, bit light for a DH racer, but perfect for that in between bike. Can ride with confidence, it's bomb proof, but you do need to keep the bearing bolts and fastners snug, and I would also get a spare deraliur hanger, when it goes it goes good. Carry a spare one in your camelback, and your are safe.

I have a Blur as well, use that for racing, and rides with heaps of climbs. The blur was getting painted, didn't get it back before a race. I switched all the lite gear over on to the heckler, stiffened up the suspension, and it did great on race day.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I cant really comment much about its ride, but I did own a bullit, and the powder coat SUCKED so I would definitely say that if you go for a Heckler, get it anodized. The SC powedercoat chips very easily and once it starts it doesnt stop.

You might consider a superlight though. Much ligther and still a single pivot that will take the edge off the trails, yet still perfrom well on the fire roads. Very similar in price.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No offense but those trails look fairly tame. From the pictures it looks like a superlight or a blur XC might make more sense. I love my heckler but it's a 5" tavel bike and perhaps a little heavier than what I would want for fire roads. If you ride more techinical stuff than is evident from the pics, or you are a bigger person or a really hard rider or something, than I can understand. Otherwise, a superlight or a blur will give you all the cush you need and be lighter.

That said, I can't say enough good things about the DHX Air on my heckler. I've tried about 5 different shocks, including the RP3, and the DHX is the way to go. The adjustable volume and boost valve are key, and the on-the-fly propedal is really nice too.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Ok. Im stuck.....Im going to get one of these bikes but I cant decide which one...errrrrrrrrrr

The Santa Cruz Heckler w/ X9 AM kit (at the top of thread)

OR

Yeti 575 w/ Enduro kit

• PARTS KIT/FORK - Enduro/Fox Vanilla 130 RL
• REAR SHOCK - Fox Float RP3
• HEADSET - Cane Creek S-2
• BOTTOM BRACKET - Integrated with crank
• CRANKSET - RaceFace Evolve
• FRONT DER - Sram X-Gen
• REAR DER - Sram X.9
• SHIFTERS - Sram X.9
• CASSETTE - SRAM PG 950 11x32
• CHAIN - Shimano®
• HUBSET - Yeti ARC/Shimano® M525
• RIMS - Mavic XM 317 Disc
• TIRES - Maxxis Minion 2.35" 42a Super Tacky
• BRAKE/LEVERS - Hayes HFX-9 XC 6" ROTOR
• HANDLEBAR - RacrFace Next carbon 31.8
• STEM - RaceFace Evolve XC 100mm
• GRIPS - Yeti Hardcore
• SADDLE - Yeti/WTB Rocket V CrMo
• SEATPOST - RaceFace Evolve 27.2mm
• SIZES - Small, Medium, Large
• COLORS - Turquoise, White, Orange, Raw Grey, Black Ano

Is there any parts in either kit that I should replace or look out for????

I still need to test ride both. I just want some more info before I do.

Rod

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The kit you listed for the Heckler is much nicer than this Yeti build (better wheels, brakes and slightly better drivetrain). The most important thing is to get the bike that fits you best. I love my Heckler, but if it doesn't fit you right you're not gonna like it.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Currently I own both a Heckler and a Superlight. Overall I prefer riding the Heckler. I think the geometry is better for all around trail riding and the frame is waaay stiffer than a Superlight. I think the difference in weight is only about 1 lb so the Heckler is really not much heavier. Also I would go with an anodized finish. My Superlight is painted and it chips really easy...

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Santa Curz just updated their website with the Heckler "bike builder"! It claims that the complete X9 AM kit weighs just under 30 pounds.....can anyone confirm this.

Does the Yeti have any lateral flex in the rear end?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I have a Heckler and LOVE it for XC riding. I agree with some of the monkies in this forum though--the heckler is a bit much if you're not planning on going over anything too rooty or rocky, or do any jumps/drops, etc. However. I originally was going to go with the Juliana and my friends convinced me to go with the extra travel. A year later, I bought a DH bike, b/c my Heckler didn't have enough travel! So, its definitely a good choice for a bike to grow into.

The cool thing about my bike, which you would like for your fire road climbing, is the lockouts. I have lockouts on both my shock and fork. I have the Fox Float RL and the Fox Talus RLC. Its really a great all around bike.

Bottom line: if its likely that you might get into more technical terrain in the future, get the Heckler. If you are going to stick to fireroads and smooth trails, it would probably be a waste.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
My large Heckler weighs in at 30 lbs. Mostly all Shimano XT, Fox Talas RLC, Ti Coil 5th Elem., etc. etc.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have a yeti 575 with the enduo kit and i really love it, my bike is just under 30lbs. I had an old heckler in 2000 and liked that too, though the rear end did flex more than I liked. the heckler is a little stronger than the 575, but the 575 can still take 6ft drops to tranny.

the lounge has a thread on this, do a search.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Thanks for the link man! I read the **** outta that thread about a week ago, good info!

I actually rode a large heckler today and it was pretty nice, Im gonna try an extra large tomorrow and perhaps a Yeti 575. The only thing I did not like was the triggers. Im used to pulling the trigger toward me and having it shift into a smaller ring. O well. The heckler actually flet pretty light at 30 pounds.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Ok. I think im going to go with the heckler. I probably wont get a chance to ride a 575, but the only thing that's bothering me about the heckler is the lateral flex. I only rode the bike in the parking lot so I could'nt really get it to do much. When does the flexing come into play? On hills? Is it really THAT BAD? O and I'm trying to decide between a large and an extra large. Besides the measured differences, what should I expect form the two sizes (i.e. riding comfort, is one going to be better for long rides? Im about 6-2 by the way.