Quantcast

santa cruz ride this weekend (7/24-25)

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
santa cruz shuttles/ride- who's in? where/when?
i'm free all off saturday and sunday. i'm down for UC trails, although i'd really like to go hit mailboxes too.
like i said the other day, my availibility on the internet might be kinda spotty for a few days. so someone please call me with what's up if i'm not posting, 413-218-0108

chaz

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Chazz, I'm plannin a ride Sunday afternoon. Not with dog, and none of the guys are free in the morning. The problem is the shuttle system.. not sure how we're going to do this. Don't know if we have enough room in the cars. Ummm. How long of a hike is it to do mailboxes? I hit that trail once when there weren't any stunts on it, but now it seems like they're all huge??? You know what kind of a wussy rider I am, it'll be dumb for me to go down a trail where I have to bypass everything :D

We'll see what's up, I'll give you a call. I'm going to bring out the helmet cam this time and we'll HAVE to hit up DC and WC!!!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
the shuttle system we have is :stosh: but since i ain't go no car i'm not in a position to complain (and i still owe you $ Darren). it's a road ride up to the top of mailboxes, a kinda narrow, windy road, maybe a mile or two long. i don't mind riding up, but i also have two chainrings. scurban has a truck, he'll probably chime in sooner or later, so we should see what's up with that. at least with a truck our shuttle system is not too slow since we don't have to take wheels off and stuff. still time consuming and aggravating though.
mailboxes only has one jump that i'd call real big. there's other ones that aren't tiny, but aren't big, like 7-15 foot gaps, only two of the jumps are more than like 2 or 3 feet tall from what i remember. all are very smooth and do-able. there's a couple fun steep sections too.
hell yeah on the helmet cam. remind me, i'll remind you (as if that's worked in the past :D ). one thing to think about is that mailboxes is on the other side of the hill from all the other trails we do, so it might be kinda inconvinent to go do it. since i have a not hard to pedal bike, i think on saturday i'm gonna go ride up to do mailboxes. i'd be sweet if someone wants to come along, i hate riding along, especially doing any sort of jumping. gimme a call, or other people post your # so i can call you.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Actually I was talkin to Josef and we're thinkin of comin up saturday to do mailboxes, check it out. Then Sunday we'll hit the other trails behind UCSC. I did mailboxes before, it's the one where you have to climb under the fence right? Or have times changed? It's on that long stretch of road, on the other exit/entrance of the campus. What's it called.. empire grade? Keep you posted. Saturday might have to be an early ride though. heh

Btw, if I recall correctly, that little climb under the fence involved alot of PO. Tell me that's changed!!! :nopity:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
DLo said:
Actually I was talkin to Josef and we're thinkin of comin up saturday to do mailboxes, check it out. Then Sunday we'll hit the other trails behind UCSC. I did mailboxes before, it's the one where you have to climb under the fence right? Or have times changed? It's on that long stretch of road, on the other exit/entrance of the campus. What's it called.. empire grade? Keep you posted. Saturday might have to be an early ride though. heh

Btw, if I recall correctly, that little climb under the fence involved alot of PO. Tell me that's changed!!! :nopity:
don't have to climb under a fence, just sneak thru a narrow opening off of Empire Grade.
early ride? you bum, i was planning on a trip to the bars on friday to celebrate the end of summer classes. how early we talkin' here? maybe i'll postpone it till saturday...
yes, there's a good amount of PO along MB. don't crash! last time i was there i crashed into a PO patch. my plan for the ride is to not do that again.
this all sounds dandy to me. just lemme know, i'm down for anything

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Josef here. Dont know if you remember me by name Chaz, but I rode the red Gemini with the shiver on that last SC ride.

Like D said, we want SC ALL weekend, unless we decide to go paintballing.......? Balls cost tooooo much money.

Can that guy, Mike?, from last night's Stanford ride shuttle on saterday as well as sunday?? D, straighten things out homie.

-J

jollyrodger

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
So, is anyone gonna be doing any riding on sunday? I think I'm gonna be in san francisco but i'd love to come down and ride in SC.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I will be out there on Sunday, however it looks like it will be a pedal up day. I would hate to get arrested driving up into that neighborhood!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
i'm all for riding sunday. ronny grady, i'm up for pedaling (dare i go so far as to say i like riding uphill?) if you wanna go give me a call.
i like the ideas of shuttles on saturday, but i'm also in the need for a good pedally ride as i haven't done one in awhile.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
i found a sweet new trail today. anyone know where that log ride is along Chinquapin road? it starts at that. i hiked up it, but was too beat to ride back down (because that would mean going back up) because i'd already been out riding for 4 hours. but it looks super fun. we should definitely hit it.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Chaz, I am back in the area so I am down to ride ASAP. I think I know that trail you are talking about, I think it comes out on U-Con about halfway down or so...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
any time man. school ended on friday, so i'm free all day any day.
i want to get back to mailboxes sometime soon. now that i've adapted to the trails here i feel like a p*ssy for not hitting those jumps last time. i'd like to bring the video camera or digicam out one of these days.
gotta find a new rear shock real soon though. my romic is slowly dying (once again). it started feeling crappy on saturday, felt crappier on sunday, and one of these days it's gonna start spewing oil. an endless cycle of vulgarities would best describe my sentiments towards that product :eviltongu

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Romics feel good...when they have oil in them, which seems to be about half of the time from what I've seen lately. I am way down for Mailboxes...

C_S

Chimp
May 14, 2004
Clovis
What's up Santa Cruz monkeys? I'm going to be in town from Aug. 7-12 and would appreciate any locals who wouldn't mind showing me some DHish trails (I ride a Bullit with a dual ring so I don't mind pedaling up). I don't totally suck and I'll take some pics and make you look cool (just ask WestCoasthucker). Anyways, shoot me an email at crswallrat AT hotmail.

Thanks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I will be out of town from the 7-10th but maybe when I get back? I'm sure someone else will chime in though...