Quantcast

Santa Cruz Riders!

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Hey all. We just picked up Sista Kreep's new julianna (wahoooo!), and I realized for the first time that the derailer hanger isn't replceable:eek: . For any one who rides SCs, how are they about dealing with warrantee issues? How are the hangers holding up for others?

I was just really surprised that this was the case on such a pricey frame. That aside tho, this thing is sweeeeeeet! So light, the finishing touches are so quality...very nice!:cool: The Sista is pumped!!

R

RideMonkey

I don't think thats anything to worry about. Replaceable hangers are kinda on the outs cuz they have been typically very easy to break. TOO easy. The better alternative is to make the entire dropout replacable, but you'll only see this on expensive bikes.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'm into my 3d season on my Heckler and no problems at all. I did snap off a 9.0 SL when I sucked up a stick. And I also did in an XTR "b" tension plate from another stick. Its good and thick and will hold up to a fair bit of abuse.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Thanks!

Its too bad, as RM said, that replaceable dropouts are only available on the higher-end stuff.:rolleyes: Although, this isn't what I'd call the K-Mart speacial!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The 02 Heckler has replaceble drop outs as does the Chameleon. The Chameleon of course has that to convert to ss.

bikerbonnie

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
San Diego, California
Juliana is a cool bike! I love mine. Yeah, they are making the derailleur hangers replaceable this year. I checked on several internet sites before I bought Julie, and everyone told me the hanger had never bent or been a problem.

But the superlight isn't meant for heavy downhill, its an xc racer type bike.

Capt. KAOS

Chimp
Mar 14, 2002
maine
I am on my third santa cruz. One heckler, then a bullit (sold it) and another Bullit.

The hangers are sooo stiff. I have bent one but was able to align it since it only bent a little. I have also had a bud get a warantee rear end for $250. not bad when you look at the cost of a new XTR derail..

Repalcable hangers always seem to prematurely break or seem to always be bent. I think they make them too flimsey and rely on them too much to save a rear derail.

I would like to see more frames made with beefy repalcable droputs and I wouldn't mind even paying a little more for a replacement. i know santa cruz get reamed for it and I can respect them for sticking to there guns.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
From their F.A.Q. on the website:

Do you/why don't you use a replaceable derailleur hanger?

We do not use replaceable derailleur hangers strictly for performance reasons. We've thought about this a lot. The current designs are weaker because the drop out can only be half as thick since there are two pieces; so, it's more prone to bending. Another problem with replaceable derailleur hangers is that they degrade shifting performance. In our tests, we found that the side-to-side flexing was the number one cause of ghost shifting. Pushing the chain up and down the cogs puts an amazing amount of force on the hanger. Usually it's the combination of hitting a bump and hanger flex that results in a ghost shift.

The third problem we've seen is that often the swingarm will still be damaged when the replaceable hanger breaks. Of course because they are about half as thick, they break easier, so your chances of having a problem increase. We decided to make the hanger as strong and stiff as possible so there would be very few problems. If the hanger gets bent, most of the time it can be bent back with a tool made for just that purpose. (Local bike shop) If the threads get ruined they can be replaced too. Using the original owner "no-fault" warranty we offer a new swing arm at a not too painful price ($250 US) for the rare occasion that a hanger actually gets broken and cannot be repaired. The question for us: Do we put a replaceable hanger on because people want it, even when we suspect it won't perform as well? We'd rather run the most trouble free set up we can in keeping with our low maintenance / high performance design goal. If you are still concerned, we suggest using a "Break Away" derailleur bolt. (Available at most bike shops)

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Thanks for all the input! The drop out does look really strong, and Sista is really light, so...I was just checking! I need to get my but onto their site and really poke around!

:monkey:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Ever so slightly ,but nothing major ,I really believe in the Santa Cruz Bike company ,it seam`s they do things right ,I`am on my second Bullit ,The reason ,is I wanted the `02 with the 5th element shock :cool: :cool: :cool:

D

DH40

I bent the living piss out old my 97.5 Heckler drop and was able thrice to bend it back into reasonable alignment with a Crescent wrench.
Also if things get nasty you can cough up $200 for a new SA for any reason.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
sc saying they didnt put a der hanger on th ebullit so it would have better shifting. but doesnt it ghost shift if u dont have full length housing? i refuse to buy a bike without a replacable der hanger or entire dropout. even if it cromo - the BMW parkbike has one =P"

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
You do have to have the housing cut just right fron frame to swing arm but it's not that big of a deal. Just cut your new housing to the same size as the old one that worked so well.

I've seen one Hanger snap off a Superlight first ride and since the bike was a week old SC supplied a new rear free. That same person has now ridden that biketwo years without bending the hanger evn once. He crashes all the time to.