Quantcast

Santa Cruz Roadster

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
in searching for that elusive perfect road bike, i stumbled across the Roadster. i had no idea SC made a road bike.

it looks like the bike for me. you can go from track dropouts to vert. it looks very nice. i love the moulded seat tube. I also like the sloping top tube and longish headtube with the down turned stem..

anyway, has anyone here ever ridden one or seen on in person? I'd like to know what you think.

specs:
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bicycles/roadster.php

Picture:

DevilMan

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
The Netherlands
I have a Santa Cruz Roadster bike for 1.5 years now, and i still love it. The frame looks good, handles perfectly, and just feels fast..

I recently bought a roadbike, a full carbon Orbea Orca. This frame feels a bit more comfortable on crappy roads, but this doesn't mean the Roadster is a harsh ride, it's way more comfortable than to first aluminium roadbike i had.

If you're interested, i have some pictures of my bike on my website (www.yakusoku.com), it all in Dutch, but you find the 'old' pictures under 'Fiets / Oude fietsen / Santa Cruz Roadster'.

Here you see pictures of how the bike used to be, since i've bought a new Orbea Orca i decided to turn the Roadster into a dedicated timetrial bike. (a photo of the (not yet completed) timetrial roadster you can find under 'Fiets / Tijdritfiets'.

If you need some more information, just ask!

DevilMan

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
The Netherlands
The Orca sure is a sexy beast, and it rides like a dream too ;-)

But i also still love my Santa Cruz bike, no plans on selling it or anything silly like that ;-)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have a small black Roadster. Last years Dura Ace, Mavic Ksyrium ssc sl wheels, the new easton fork. I like it a lot.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
i would not want a track hub... just single speed. i am sort of a single speed lover.

at any rate, you can easily space any hub out.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
BoyBoy said:
i would not want a track hub... just single speed. i am sort of a single speed lover.

at any rate, you can easily space any hub out.

I wouldn't put easily and any in the same sentence. maybe "you can space out any hub" or "you can easily space out most hubs." But for example... some campy hubs (new) are a BIATCH. As are some Surly's.

The frame looks awesome, especially those dropouts. I too am a lover of the single speed/fixed. Sometimes in hiding though..

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia

This is my ex-Roadster. I love very much but my friend offered me, so I let her go.

It's a fast bike with very good geometry. 73* seat angle and 73* head angle.

I rode medium and it suit me well with VTT of 55cm

I strongly recommend this! :thumb:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Holly crap, that's pretty close to my bike! I have Ksyrium SL wheels and a Thomson post and the newest Easton Fork. The original fork like the one in the pic lost a bunch of clearcoat so they sent me the newer version as a replacement. I even have the same fake carbon vinyl stickers for cable rub. Same stem and bar. But that frame looks like a small not a medium.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Some friends of mine all rode those when their team was sponsored my SC. Folks were happy enough with them, but for some people the fit was a bit iffy. compact bikes work for some people, and don't work for others. Which are you? Get a good fit, from a good shop, and then go buy something that fits you as well as possible. It thats a roadsterm go for it!